You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

PSA Black Ship prices etc.

14 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
7,176 posts
4,874 battles

If you don't want to take your risks with Black Friday crates dropping you a ship you really don't want, consider that they can currently be bought individually.

Prices below are in Canadian dollars, but it's the relative prices that are important.

Black Massachusetts - $49.23 vs. normal Massachusetts for $70.32

Black Tirpitz - $48.37 vs. normal, $69.11

Black Atago - $42.21 vs. normal, $60.30

Black Asashio - $37.35 vs. $53.36

Be aware that the win-doubloons missions they offer are only able to be completed if you already have the standard ship in port.  Whether you want or need a clone of a ship you already have in port is up to you. I can see justifications for it with ships that have multiple module build choices where you don't constantly want to shell out credits or doubloons to remount or unmount to taste (e.g. for ranked, randoms, co-op or fun).

In addition, Perth and Mutsu are both available as "shadow" packs with 20 expendable camo thrown in, at less than the price of the regular ship. However, these two simply appear to be package names and will not AFAIK deliver you unique versions of the Perth or Mutsu.

You have 13 days to make up your minds one way or the other.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2

[DRACS]
Members
3,620 posts

Yah, it`s a good deal. I bought Mass as it was so cheap. Which is still much less than the amount of money I spent on Black Friday last year. Crates were just not worth it for me.

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,289 posts
7,571 battles

It definitely makes more sense, if you specifically want one or 2 of the ships, and already have the others in their normal skins, to buy them directly, now, with the 30% reduction. A better deal than the crates. (I bought Asashio, as it is the only one of the B ships, missing from my port).

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,080 posts
11,053 battles

I'll pick up the Massachusetts B for that price, it's the only one of the three i don't own and I am interested in its play style.

Members
1,141 posts
7,098 battles
19 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

I'll pick up the Massachusetts B for that price, it's the only one of the three i don't own and I am interested in its play style.

Just make sure you have a high point commander to dedicate to Mass... IFHE is practically essential to making her work. 

[DOG]
Members
464 posts
5,999 battles
22 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

You won't regret it.  It's a blast to play.  I got the John Doe commander using coal in the arsenal and put him on it.  Perfect match for the ship's play style..  His bonuses allow you to switch shell types in 7.5 seconds, and rotate your turrets faster.  I also committed heresy and violated the concealment uber alles commandment, and put Target Acquisition Mod 1 on it instead of Concealment Module 1.  I see torps sooner, and get more secondary hits on DDs, since they get spotted sooner and stay spotted longer.  For instance, I can spot a full concealment Yugumo at 6.6 km instead of 5.5 km. 

[SYN]
Members
1,378 posts
15,375 battles
40 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

It definitely makes more sense, if you specifically want one or 2 of the ships, and already have the others in their normal skins, to buy them directly, now, with the 30% reduction. A better deal than the crates. (I bought Asashio, as it is the only one of the B ships, missing from my port).

now if there were only night missions....

[TSPC]
Members
2,379 posts
7,260 battles
2 minutes ago, zubalkabir said:

You won't regret it.  It's a blast to play.  I got the John Doe commander using coal in the arsenal and put him on it.  Perfect match for the ship's play style..  His bonuses allow you to switch shell types in 7.5 seconds, and rotate your turrets faster.  I also committed heresy and violated the concealment uber alles commandment, and put Target Acquisition Mod 1 on it instead of Concealment Module 1.  I see torps sooner, and get more secondary hits on DDs, since they get spotted sooner and stay spotted longer.  For instance, I can spot a full concealment Yugumo at 6.6 km instead of 5.5 km. 

This is so wrong for so many reasons....

First, you don't need EM or EL on Massachusetts.

Second, you never want to run Target Acquisition on Mass over conceal.

Third, even if you do, it doesn't change the detect range of ships - it means you detect them at 3km instead of 2km (behind islands, in smoke, etc) but doesn't make it so you detect them faster. What it does do is allow you to see ships further away who are spotted by others. BBs though have such huge spotting range that another 20% hardly matters.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,176 posts
4,874 battles
1 minute ago, Warped_1 said:

now if there were only night missions....

More to the point, if only there were night missions these four ships were eligible for. There is the first half of Cherry Blossom, but that is only open to Allied cruisers.

I suspect that games in which a weather front moves through could prove interesting with these ships. Would love to see a staged fight of Black Ships vs ARP in bad weather. 

[DOG]
Members
464 posts
5,999 battles
18 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

This is so wrong for so many reasons....

First, you don't need EM or EL on Massachusetts.

Second, you never want to run Target Acquisition on Mass over conceal.

Third, even if you do, it doesn't change the detect range of ships - it means you detect them at 3km instead of 2km (behind islands, in smoke, etc) but doesn't make it so you detect them faster. What it does do is allow you to see ships further away who are spotted by others. BBs though have such huge spotting range that another 20% hardly matters.

Wait.  So I read this whole thing wrong?

Increases maximum acquisition range:

• +50% to range of assured acquisition of enemy ships.
  • +20% to spotting range.
  • +20% to the acquisition range of torpedoes.

I understood the "assured acquisition" part (+50%  - 3km instead of 2km) to mean targets in smoke or behind islands.  So  I guess I got that part right.

I'll assume +20% to acquisition range of torpedoes means what I think it means.

But you're saying the "+20% to spotting range" only works if another friendly ship has already spotted the enemy ship?  If that's how it works, then you're right that it does seem kind of pointless.  The wiki entry does not explain this clearly.  This whole time I've been using it certainly felt like I was getting a benefit, since the secondaries were pounding away on anything that got close.  (placebo effect?)

[TOG]
Members
2,814 posts
15,797 battles
5 minutes ago, zubalkabir said:

But you're saying the "+20% to spotting range" only works if another friendly ship has already spotted the enemy ship?  If that's how it works, then you're right that it does seem kind of pointless.  The wiki entry does not explain this clearly.  This whole time I've been using it certainly felt like I was getting a benefit, since the secondaries were pounding away on anything that got close.  (placebo effect?)

It means that the range that you will be spotted had gone up 20 percent. Multiply the current range by 1.2

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
589 posts
2,713 battles

Those ships are all a good buy at that price, with the possible exception of Asashio (depending on what one thinks of that ship). And they look cool. I'd say it's worth picking up any that you don't already have if you were thinking about it.

That Atago B, though.... oh my god, that thing looks sexy. Sleek. Stealthy. Oooooh, I've gone cross-eyed.

--Helms

[PIZZA]
[PIZZA]
Members
185 posts
3,895 battles

Just to clarify, if someone has the Magnu-S camo for the Tirpitz it cannot be mounted on the Black ship correct? Very bummed out that these are separate ships that cannot take the permanent camos.

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0

[DOG]
Members
464 posts
5,999 battles
34 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

It means that the range that you will be spotted had gone up 20 percent. Multiply the current range by 1.2

So it's actually a nerf to your own ship if you take it?  Good goobledy goop.  When I'm in port with camo on, it says my concealment range is 16.1 km, which is what it should be.  So there's some kind of stealth nerf to concealment that doesn't even show up anywhere?