You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Should Super-testers be Super Unicums?

27 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,683 posts
9,788 battles

I was just in a match with a supertester ship that ran roughshod over everyone on my team he met. Looking at the player's stats I was not surprised to see that he was a super unicum. This got me to thinking though about the supertester program and whether it might not be better served with average players testing the ships rather than the very best players doing the same. Any thoughts on this?

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2

[HYDRO]
Members
1,860 posts
3,961 battles

I don't think there is any stat requirement to apply and get admitted to the supertester program. There are supertesters from all skill levels to better simulate the actual playerbase. In fact getting super unicums only would do more harm than good since you would get skewed results.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 2

[FOG]
Members
378 posts
5,115 battles

Although I have not seen a statistically significant number of Supertesters the ones I have seen seem to span the spectrum from very good to Unicum players, which I think, is what one would want as testers.

[BNKR]
Members
853 posts
884 battles

I would think that to accurately test ship capabilities, you should have folks from all player capabilities. That will include super purple ponies and rotten red potatoes. Most of the testers will fall somewhere in between.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,174 posts
4,874 battles

If you use super-unicums, you have the advantage that they are skilled and experienced and can very quickly get a good grasp of a ship's ups and downs and how to make the best of them. However, the downside of this is that a too-skilled unicum can make even the most garbage ship perform miracles, which is why I occasionally take Flamu's reviews with a grain of salt and back them up with input from other YouTubers.

If you put a seal-potato like me in charge of a test ship, I could take it out and make a basic commentary, but I don't think my review would be any more substantial than "I couldn't wait to play this ship again" vs. "Let this cup of suffering pass from me." :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
10,843 posts
7,979 battles
12 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I was just in a match with a supertester ship that ran roughshod over everyone on my team he met. Looking at the player's stats I was not surprised to see that he was a super unicum. This got me to thinking though about the supertester program and whether it might not be better served with average players testing the ships rather than the very best players doing the same. Any thoughts on this?

8 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

I don't think there is any stat requirement to apply and get admitted to the supertester program. There are supertesters from all skill levels to better simulate the actual playerbase. In fact getting super unicums only would do more harm than good since you would get skewed results.

This^^ 

When WG opened up Supertesting applications a few months back, they said that they were looking for all skill levels, as long as you were not brand new and didn't know how the game works. 

• Cool 1

[90THD]
Supertester
1,148 posts
6,415 battles

I am by far a unicum player, definitely an average player.  We do have testers of all skill levels in the game, some that excel in all ship classes and those of us like me that only do well in one or two classes.  You just got unlucky or lucky to be in a match with one of the more skilled testers.

Edited by Ghost_Raven75
  • Boring 1

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,048 posts

Super Testers are not chosen based on their game stats. The player range covers all abilities and so do the testers.

It's more about their ability to communicate clearly and knowledge of the game.

Trust me, I know my stats. Super-unicum they ain't.

Edited by Quaffer
improved visual 😁

[ARGSY]
Members
7,174 posts
4,874 battles
1 minute ago, Quaffer said:

Supercum they ain't.

There are visuals here which my brain would like removed. Somehow. Anyhow.

@Kizarvexis, I think we could actually do with some PvE-heavy supertesters. The meta is different.

Members
2,734 posts
8,001 battles

Not all super super testers are unicums. And i have nothing against they be super unicums. Those players know better tham most players the strenghts and weakness of ships. Something that a average player could miss and make a ship UP or OP. 

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,145 posts
13,521 battles

No! Testers should be picked from all skill levels. The only other desirable attribute would be the skill to adequately access and communicate the strengths and weakness of the ships/features they are evaluating. After all one could be a wiz as far as skillful play goes while at the same time being a complete dolt regarding communicating the information needed by the developers.

[MEOW]
[MEOW]
Beta Testers
135 posts
3,746 battles

nah,

super unicum can play dumb

tomatoes can't play above average

[PSP]
Members
6,683 posts
9,788 battles
27 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

This would be my assessment of a good program as the ships will be mostly sold to average players.

[TARFU]
[TARFU]
Members
1,032 posts
6,441 battles

The problem is, people improve over time... And they rarely pick new supertesters.

So, it's not really a good estimation of average player skill.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,183 battles
34 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I have always thought this would be a better metric for testing. Joe Average is going to give very different feed back where as a super Unicum can make any ship work.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,860 posts
3,961 battles
10 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

This would be my assessment of a good program as the ships will be mostly sold to average players.

I mean, supertesting is just a small part when it comes to introducing ships. The various Departments WG has however have the final word on the complete product. At least that's the way I understand how some of the ships  end up being too strong at times.

Edited by warheart1992

[-I-]
[-I-]
Members
96 posts
11,472 battles

WG does not value a players stats for supertester, but let's say they do and only used average joe players, the problem that would arise from this , is when you hand the tested ships to the unicums and see how powerful they are.

Cause if joe can only do 40k in said ship and reports it needs buffed, the unicum can play it and might average 80k. Not having any unicums testing could lead to a very high chance of imbalance of test ships. 

• Cool 1

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,656 posts
9,233 battles

Being a ST sucks trying to test ships on live since most people see something new and shiny and want to kill it.... gets spotted in a ST ship and has the whole enemy team targeting you is really common.

[H_]
Members
939 posts
37 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If you use super-unicums, you have the advantage that they are skilled and experienced and can very quickly get a good grasp of a ship's ups and downs and how to make the best of them. However, the downside of this is that a too-skilled unicum can make even the most garbage ship perform miracles, which is why I occasionally take Flamu's reviews with a grain of salt and back them up with input from other YouTubers.

If you put a seal-potato like me in charge of a test ship, I could take it out and make a basic commentary, but I don't think my review would be any more substantial than "I couldn't wait to play this ship again" vs. "Let this cup of suffering pass from me.:Smile_teethhappy:

I think you under sell the concept.....  Take a business jet; the experimental flight test pilots are the best of the best because new, not certified X-ticketed jets are just freaking dangerous.....yes?  That makes sense because the deliverable is that dangerous.  WoWs is a game made up of mostly part-time, average players that have one or two hours a night to play at most and that time is precious......  What average testers do is to validate the "user value" at the level of a majority of the players and customer base.!!!  We are the 66% that drives the "real value" of this game.  If we quit, there may be a small population game left of noobs and vets that can exist till it implodes....

You, me and hundreds of others are what makes this game tick and be profitable.  If WG were smart, and I doubt they'd even consider this concept, they'd create "user teams" and give them different qualification missions and then, combine the results and publish them in three levels: new, average and veteran reviews.....  That way, as a new player, I can invest in what my peers believes, works......

No, WG needs even new players on the team.........because, after all, aren't new players actually more important than vets ???

Edited by Asym_KS

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,289 posts
7,571 battles

However skilled (or not), whenever I see a supertester on my team, I am happy. Why? Because I know they will do their damndest to win. Be sure to compliment them, they get enough reports.

[BOTES]
Members
1,933 posts
6,675 battles

There are bad STs but balance should always focus on the best players. Terrible players make OP ships look bad. Better players show that regardless of skill, some ships are outright bad. 

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,656 posts
9,233 battles
2 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

However skilled (or not), whenever I see a supertester on my team, I am happy. Why? Because I know they will do their damndest to win. Be sure to compliment them, they get enough reports.

That’s the other thing you do just get random reports. People get really mad when a ST just says NDA. 

• Cool 1