Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Black Friday container surprise!

14 comments in this topic

Members
252 posts
5,181 battles

Bought the 6 BF container bundle and after opening the first 5 I was underwhelmed. Last container I got the Asashio B. Since I'm I don't play high tier dd's what kind of ship? She seems to be a meme type ship since she has so many torps at tier 8. Is she worth playing for someone who doesn't play dd's very much? TIA

[DENY]
Members
382 posts
5,090 battles
6 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Bought the 6 BF container bundle and after opening the first 5 I was underwhelmed. Last container I got the Asashio B. Since I'm I don't play high tier dd's what kind of ship? She seems to be a meme type ship since she has so many torps at tier 8. Is she worth playing for someone who doesn't play dd's very much? TIA

It only good versus BB that it ,

[SHAFT]
Members
261 posts
10,908 battles
1 minute ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Asashio requires a high skill level to be effective, especially if up tiered to a T10 game.

Pros - great concealment, ability to delete bbs who sail straight lines with one launch.

Cons - slow speed, one dimensional torps, mediocre guns with slow rate of fire and turret traverse.

[USCC2]
Members
3,819 posts

Congrats! :Smile_playing:

As Rabin stated, it is very situational and I wouldn't recommend buying it as it is just a gimmick ship....but as you won it, have fun! Maybe one day they will give it something that will balance the type of game you can have but at present it is just too situational. It is as close to a troll ship as I can think - sometimes you feel like you're trolling and other times you realise, if you've bought it then, you've been trolled.

Enjoy your win!

Edited by _WaveRider_

[KAPPA]
Members
358 posts
4,642 battles

Her torps go under everything but BBs and CVs, but they can easily dev strike either, as their damage and concealment are both extremely good. Her guns are also the same you'd find on Shimakaze, and they can really wollop other DDs if given a good chance. You need to blend torp and gun with her to truly excel, as you don't want to end up the last alive after all the BBs are dead.

It's actually doing this that's difficult, that said. She has some of the best concealment in her entire spread, and she needs it to make up for her negatives, as spotting and finishing things is a very good use of her outside of torpedo directly to forehead..

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup
  • Cool 1

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,297 posts
7,571 battles
Just now, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Her torps go under everything but BBs and CVs, but they can easily dev strike either, as their damage and concealment are both extremely good. Her guns are also the same you'd find on Shimakaze, and they can really wollop other DDs if given a good chance. You need to blend torp and gun with her to truly excel, as you don't want to end up the last alive after all the BBs are dead.

sounds like good advice. All the Asashio players, who enjoy the Asashio, say much the same.

• Funny 1

[KAPPA]
Members
358 posts
4,642 battles
4 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

sounds like good advice. All the Asashio players, who enjoy the Asashio, say much the same.

She's a real love or hate ship, that's for sure. She basically needs you to be extremely aggressive, 20km range or not. Bonus points if you grab the +5 knot torp skill, but that's bordering on a dedicated Asashio captain, as that skill isn't especially useful on quite a lot of ships.

Tried it on Mutsu and Kii. NEVER. AGAIN.

• Funny 1

[SYN]
Members
3,129 posts
14,390 battles

Asashio is a fantastic DD however you need to build your skills to get the most out of her.

The guns are actually very good as long as you don't get into a close turning fight, I reliably get between 10-20k damage each game from them.  Best used when kiting and utilising smoke (Don't sit in it and try to farm though).

Your concealment gives you a huge advantage around caps and general scouting. Very good around caps when teamed with a gun boat DD or light cruiser as you light up the enemy DDs for your team to focus.

The torps are fantastic at punishing BBs and most BBs turn and run to the other side of the map at the first sight of them which gives your team a big advantage.

Enjoy her

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
202 posts
5,550 battles

What I know is it fires special deep water torpedoes that don't affect cruisers or destroyers, and that it's main guns reload too slowly to be reliable.

What I have heard is that it has the absolute best Concealment in the game making it able to contribute with spotting even when it doesn't have targets for it's ridiculously long range torpedoes.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
762 posts
4,042 battles

I bought a single crate just a few minutes ago.  Asashio B.  Beautiful ship.  I have NO IDEA how to make her work.

I took her out and lo and behold there was 1 bb and 1 cv.

20 km torps that only hit bb or cv.  I have been knife fighting with ALL my dds.

I guess I'm going to have to learn how to stealth torp and sneak around after all.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,185 posts
4,880 battles
1 hour ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Last container I got the Asashio B.

Hope this helps you, OP.

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,090 posts
13,348 battles

More videos to help decide. This is not your average DD

This video shows the pitfall of the Asashio when going against other DDs.

[KAPPA]
Members
358 posts
4,642 battles
28 minutes ago, Junostorm said:

And the mythical legendary CV

I'd argue that it isn't good against CVs. Yes, it 'can' hit a CV, but unless they are just sitting there for who knows how long, actually hitting would be pretty difficult from a place you'd generally actually want to be. Hitting a CV is a massive chore due to the planes, too, leading to what was a perfect shot suddenly turning into an easily evaded, possibly loose spread depending on distance.

Personally, if I'm in Asashio, the last place I want to be is ground zero of the plane spawner. CVs are her biggest weakness, as her AA is just... ugh...

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup

Sign in to follow this