Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BarnacleCollector

Iowa and Izumo have too many hulls to research compared to other tier 9 battleships

5 comments in this topic

[LODGE]
Members
113 posts
13,142 battles

And it's not fair. Not only does your ship handle really poorly a lot longer, but you have to get a lot more exp to get to the next ship as a result.

Iowa: Hull B 45 000 + Hull C 60 000 + Range 24 000 + Engine 19 000 = 148 000 exp

Izumo: Hull B 44 000 + Hull C 60 000 + Range 26 000+ Engine 16 000 = 146 000 exp

Friedrich der Grosse: Hull B 54 000 + Range 26 000 + Engine 20 000 = 100 000 exp

Lion: Hull B 54 000 + Range 26 000 + Engine 20 000 = 100 000 exp

Alsace: Hull B 64 000 + Range 28 000 + Engine 25 000 = 117 000 exp

So FDR and Lion cost 2/3 of what Iowa and Izumo cost to fully upgrade. I am not counting the guns since those are optional.

We must also ask why Alsace costs an extra 17 000 compared to FDR and Lion. It gets less out of the B hull life-wise than them, yet it pays 10 000 exp more for it. Is it to make up for not having guns to research? The guns shouldn't matter, since they're not an upgrade, but a sidegrade. And Iowa and Izumo cost a crapload more regardless.

I remember when New Mexico and Colorado had two hulls to research. One was removed to make the ship grind less painful. I don't know why it was believed playing a stock ship was less painful at tier 9 than at tiers 6 and 7.

I know all these extra hulls are a remnant from a time when WG was more overt about trying to get people to pay money to ease the grind pain, but it's time for them to go.

I don't remember if North Carolina ever had three hulls. Someone remind me.

Edited by BarnacleCollector

[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,073 posts
7,882 battles

FDG and Lion have gun upgrades. They're not particularly optional if you ask me. 

Members
1,205 posts
7,302 battles

TBF, i find that the range mod on most BBs, at least in the high tiers, is not needed.  You spend most of the match inside the stock gun range, and shooting targets at those longer ranges tends to not be worth it unless you are in something that is very accurate, similar to a yammy.  I can live with 19-20km max range and use that credits and XP elsewhere.  There is always the spotting aircraft if you really need the range. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they removed one of the hulls to make the grind a little better for those 2 ships. 

6 minutes ago, NeoRussia said:

FDG and Lion have gun upgrades. They're not particularly optional if you ask me. 

on the lion, i agree.  its a straight up buff.  FDG, i disagree.  Do you want RoF or do you want more pen and damage.  both are kinda meh on a ship that handles poorly and isn't very accurate. 

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,466 posts
6,804 battles
1 hour ago, BarnacleCollector said:

The guns shouldn't matter, since they're not an upgrade, but a sidegrade.

Lion‘s 406mm:

HE damage: 6,900

Fire Chance: 46%

AP damage: 12,600

Lion’s 413mm:

HE damage: 7,200

Fire Chance: 48%

AP damage: 13,000

That is not a sidegrade. It‘s an upgrade by every definition.

Sign in to follow this