Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Halonut24

Des Moines in Top Tier is Crazy OP

19 comments in this topic

[WOSV]
Members
334 posts
2,267 battles

So I just had a game that I think perfectly demonstrates the awesome firepower Des Moines can dish out. 

The scenario: Me, 2 Div'd Shima's, and a Neptune vs Izumo, Ibuki, Zao, Udaloi, and Harugumo on one flank. The results:

Spoiler

DM_Beastmode1.thumb.png.89f8ffe726cef028b3e39666b75325f8.pngDM_Beastmode2.thumb.png.6c5fdfd7affcd3ee6a6ad561c9d0af5c.pngDM_Beastmode3.thumb.png.57f830e7491df57d3be141924050841f.pngDM_Beastmode4.thumb.png.6c9eec91982cdd233ca1e630e7dd5e21.png

ThisIsNotOK.thumb.png.8a2863a86d8af62630f7940c76a0d109.pngJust, yeah... I mean, look at this! 1,100 more EXP than the next best guy! It's ridiculous!

BTW shout out to the 2 Shima's that were with me. Total bro's, great team players. I sat by an island on the left flank, bottom spawn, and had a little lip to shoot over, and the Shima's rotated smokes on me and I went to town. They never stood a chance. This MM is probably really, really rare for tier X CA, but when it happens... oh boy does it hurt.

And yes I'm about { | | } this close to building a shrine to Des Moines right now. I've never loved a ship so much.

• Funny 1

[WOSV]
Members
334 posts
2,267 battles
1 minute ago, SkaerKrow said:

Des Moines is always top tier. 

Oh, you know what i mean. When she see's majority tier 8 and 9, not majority 10.

Members
1,207 posts
7,302 battles

DM has a lot of carry potential thanks to its radar, great AA,  and 27mm bow.  If you get in a game with a low amount of BBs or BBs that cant overmatch your nose, you can bully anyone you want.  

with that said, even with Woosters nerfs, i feel like it is even better than the DM at carrying a match.  you have all of the consumables, great AA, fantastic stealth, and a hard to hit cit compared to the DM.  You can't bully people the same way a DM can, but your DPM is pretty scary if you can get it on target and keep it there.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,600 posts
10,062 battles

Reality:  The Des Moines was made for a Solomon's type conflict where it can belt out 8" super-heavy AP rounds in a hurry.  All the hard lessons from WW2 went into this ship.

If the Des Moines was sitting off Savo Island instead of the other 4 pre-WW2 cruisers, it would have pistol-whipped and chased the IJN cruisers all the way back to Tokyo.

Kamikaze attack ? No problem.

Sister ship Newport News was used heavily in Vietnam until B turret had a mishap - killing the turret crew.  It was mothballed in 1972.  It had several running gun battles with shore artillery.

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,443 posts
4,041 battles
2 hours ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

DM has a lot of carry potential thanks to its radar, great AA,  and 27mm bow.  If you get in a game with a low amount of BBs or BBs that cant overmatch your nose, you can bully anyone you want.  

with that said, even with Woosters nerfs, i feel like it is even better than the DM at carrying a match.  you have all of the consumables, great AA, fantastic stealth, and a hard to hit cit compared to the DM.  You can't bully people the same way a DM can, but your DPM is pretty scary if you can get it on target and keep it there.

its hard to express how amazing that 27mm bow is. something you just have to experience 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,363 battles

Des Moines is my most stressful to play Tier X Cruiser.  Even squishy a.f. Minotaur at least has smoke.  But DM is my best Cruiser as I've played more.  DM's blend of AA, DPM, fair stealth, and good Radar make her a factor in the DD Minigame of every match.

There are numerous occasions that raw damage capability is not a solution.  You need something to find those stealthy targets so the team can kill them, or at the very least drive them away.  DM's presence alone gives DDs and smoke camping Cruisers cause to stay away.  DM isn't like Moskva that you can see coming from the next map over.

Lots of ships, BBs, even Cruisers are great damage dealers, even better than Des Moines.  Even sturdier.  But DM's consumables, concealment, and DPM is a package that can swing games if you play it right.

"DM wins games"

3ruUo7w.jpg

A forward oriented Des Moines gameplay trying to be involved with the DDs and the caps is a very hazardous role.  Not for the faint of heart.  But at least my DDs know that they're not the only ones out there and can count on my DM for some sort of help.  All while the BBs, Zaos, Hindenburgs, etc. are 15, 16km+ away and nowhere near when the DDs need help.  The DDs trying to contest the caps get no gun support as the other BBs, long range Cruisers are trying to farm damage off some Yamato far, far away instead of the DDs they find in the caps.  Not my DM.  I'm looking for DDs to kill.  The sooner the enemy DDs are dead, the sooner my team's DDs do a  "Jail Break" and go wild, and everyone else rides on their coattails to a win.  Once your team's DDs go free like that with no enemy DDs to keep them in check, 1-2 DDs can push back 2, 3 times their number of Battleships and Cruisers.  Even Radar Cruisers cannot push into such DDs once the game is in that state, not when there are BBs and Cruisers following the DD steamroller.  Again, the whole point of DM (at least to me), is to get our DDs into that "Steamroller" state.

You get your Radar Cruiser to help Jail Break your DDs and they literally can paralyze, push back, or kill ships more numerous than them.

SiOUob2.jpg

You help kill the enemy DD screen and you can see your 1-2 DDs do something like this.  The threat of our DDs and their torpedoes were so significant, that the Montana you see out west went south in front of all those BBs and survived.  The enemy BBs couldn't focus and kill our 1 Montana because they were terrified of 2 Chung Mus dropping torps into their midst.  It was utter chaos.

All because the Radar Cruiser helped kill the 2 enemy DDs on this flank at the start of the match.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[-WPG-]
Members
975 posts
3,913 battles
2 hours ago, Hanger_18 said:

its hard to express how amazing that 27mm bow is. something you just have to experience 

DM bow a solid C cup, but intimidated by Moskva's double Ds.

4 hours ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

even with Woosters nerfs, i feel like...

Only has killer B(ee)s but still sexy. 

Edited by DouglasMacAwful

Members
1,207 posts
7,302 battles
51 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

indeed.  I am working my way up the KM CA line currently and that 27mm bow is amazing.  it is something i wish i made more use of when i grinded the US CAs.(i was still new to the game)  The ability to rush and torp BBs who cant overmatch your nose is great thanks to those great torp angles. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,363 battles
4 minutes ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

indeed.  I am working my way up the KM CA line currently and that 27mm bow is amazing.  it is something i wish i made more use of when i grinded the US CAs.(i was still new to the game)  The ability to rush and torp BBs who cant overmatch your nose is great thanks to those great torp angles. 

The nice part with the Tier VIII & X German CAs and that bow, is coming around an island for a surprise visit with a 380mm armed BB to torp the sh*t out of them.  You bounce their shells and get right up to them and drop torps.  Hindenburg and the VIII German CAs are great because they have lots of torpedoes per side.  Hindenburg in particular in that kind of setting, unless she has very low health, won't be killed by a 380mm armed BB in time before torps are dropped.  Even a Hindy with enough HP can eat a face full of 406mm+ AP and not get outright multi-citadeled like many other Cruisers, and survive long enough to drop the torps.  It gets to the point that some BBs when you catch them like this, just give up because they know they can't kill you in time :Smile_trollface:

You should see it when Admiral Hipper / Prinz Eugen come around to rush a bunch of Tier VI BBs with 356mm, 380/381mm guns.

Ping! Ping! Ping!

... Torpeduz Awayyyyyy!

[LODGE]
Members
113 posts
13,158 battles

I have about 12 000 more average damage in Hindenburg than in Des Moines, and 0.15 more kills per game, but 73 more exp per game in Des Moines. I also have a much higher win rate in Des Moines.

I do have a significantly higher survivability rate in Hindenburg, but I hope to do better in that aspect in Des Moines as I get better at it.

Edited by BarnacleCollector

[OPG1]
Members
617 posts
8,112 battles

Yes, the + - 2 tiering system is a joke. But Wargaming hasn't even figured that out for WoT either so, get used to it. Play tier 10, or enjoy being tiered up.

[SPCU]
Members
303 posts
4,355 battles
56 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The nice part with the Tier VIII & X German CAs and that bow, is coming around an island for a surprise visit with a 380mm armed BB to torp the sh*t out of them.  You bounce their shells and get right up to them and drop torps.  Hindenburg and the VIII German CAs are great because they have lots of torpedoes per side.  Hindenburg in particular in that kind of setting, unless she has very low health, won't be killed by a 380mm armed BB in time before torps are dropped.  Even a Hindy with enough HP can eat a face full of 406mm+ AP and not get outright multi-citadeled like many other Cruisers, and survive long enough to drop the torps.  It gets to the point that some BBs when you catch them like this, just give up because they know they can't kill you in time :Smile_trollface:

You should see it when Admiral Hipper / Prinz Eugen come around to rush a bunch of Tier VI BBs with 356mm, 380/381mm guns.

Ping! Ping! Ping!

... Torpeduz Awayyyyyy!

I've even done it to poor reversing musashis and yammies... slow boat plus slow turret traverse means if hindy isn't deleted in that first salvo there wont be time for a second.

Members
1,036 posts
13 battles

>Looks at scoreboard

>radar cruiser at top spot while DDs are at the bottom

inb4 proof that radar is broken and DDs are underpowered

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,363 battles
1 hour ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

>Looks at scoreboard

>radar cruiser at top spot while DDs are at the bottom

inb4 proof that radar is broken and DDs are underpowered

SiOUob2.jpg

Look at those 5 Battleships reversing and running into each other in chaos once finding out torpedoes from 2 DDs are after them.  Of course, I used my Radar Cruiser so that my DDs are sprung free to do exactly that by helping them kill the opposing DDs

Anyways.  5 Battleships in total chaos against 2 DDs.  The BBs can't spot them, they can't counter them, they couldn't even focus our Montana when it rounded that island because torpedoes caused all kinds of problems.  Our Montana survived in open water against 5 enemy BBs because the reds were in absolute chaos by our Destroyers.

DDs underpowered, my a**.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this