Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

12 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

319
[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
1,200 posts
6,142 battles

White-Album_1.thumb.jpg.d38116fff2e62ef21bf4b1745c7943e4.jpg

Although, at least, one track could be hardly called a song

An album that, despite it's stark white cover, was a collage of various musical "colors" :  rock and roll, blues, folk, country, reggae, avant-garde, hard rock and music hall.

It was during it's recording sessions that the tensions among the band members began to surface. Four increasingly individuated artists who frequently found themselves at odds.
It was during these sessions that all 4 of them, not just Lennon, started bringing their wives/girlfriends into the studio. And the infamous sessions for Obladi-Oblada which caused recording engineer Geoff Emerick to quit the session on the spot, and, eventually, E.M.I.  In fact, even Ringo quit the band for a few weeks. Paul played drums on Back in the USSR and Dear Prudence in his absence. Many songs were actually solo efforts (Blackbird & Julia for example). In fact,  of the album's 30 tracks, only 16 have all four band members performing. Still, according to the Recording Industry Association of America, The Beatles is the Beatles' most-certified album, at 19-times platinum.

I consider the White Album one of the founding pillars of what we now call Classic Rock. It was here where George Harrison came of age, so to speak, as a songwriter: While my Guitar Gently Weeps and  Long, Long, Long are 2 of my favorite tracks. All of my favorite tracks  Back in the USSR, While my Guitar Gently Weeps (featuring guest musician Eric Clapton on lead guitar), Happiness is a Warm Gun, Blackbird, I Will, Yer Blues, Sexy Sadie, Helter Skelter and Long, Long, Long. Also, as mentioned in a previous post on these forums, it was during the White Album sessions that Hey Jude and Revolution were recorded. 


This was the last Beatles album to be mixed in monophonic separately from the stereo version, as was E.M.I.'s practice back then, usually emphasizing/fading in or out different instruments or vocal tracks and applying different effects between versions. Thus, a few songs, in my opinion, sound better in mono: USSRYer Blues, Warm Gun, even Wild Honey PieWhile My Guitar Gently Weeps had an oscillating effect applied to Clapton's guitar that really make it sound "weepy" on the mono. And the mono mix of Helter Skelter has so much compression, overdrive, reverb and distortion that it really sounds apocalyptic (in exchange you lose the song's fade in coda and Ringo's famous "Blisters on my fingers" scream found in the stereo mix.)

 

And, to finish, the aforementioned track that is not an actual song: all I'm going to say is that I play Revolution No. 9 from time to time to amuse myself. :Smile-_tongue:
PS: I lifted some of the text in this post verbatim from its Wikipedia article. Please don't judge me, as I'm just emerging from a Thanksgiving Day Food Coma. :cap_fainting:

Edited by Cruiser_SanJuan
overall improvements to the post. *Points to aforementioned food coma*
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,182
Alpha Tester
5,358 posts
2,572 battles

I have The White Album and for me, it's a mixed bag. Back In the USSR, Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Blackbird, Birthday, Helter Skelter, and Revolution 1 are some of my favourite Beatles songs ever (While My Guitar Gently Weeps is actually my favourite song of theirs), but the rest of the album feels very bloated and the songs range from OK to forgettable to just plain weird. Abbey Road, I think, is a much more consistent album. All the tracks on it feel like they have a place, unlike the White Album.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
319
[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
1,200 posts
6,142 battles

Well, Youtube has posted the entire album with the blessings of Universal Music

And I just found a nit to pick: Though the sound is much more clear, particularly the bass guitar, many songs were mixed in stereo the same way they were in 1968. 

While My Guitar Gently Weeps in particular. Giles Martin and Co. placed Eric Clapton's beautiful lead guitar again all the way to the left of the stereo image.
That guitar sound is the main point of the song, and should have been up there in the center.

Ah, well, I won't go "Star Wars Fanboi" and throw a temper tantrum, but, still, it was such a wasted opportunity. *sigh*

Maybe the Blu-Ray Audio DVD in the Super Deluxe edition has a better mix?

Edited by Cruiser_SanJuan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
72 posts
557 battles
1 hour ago, 1Sherman said:

I have The White Album and for me, it's a mixed bag. Back In the USSR, Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Blackbird, Birthday, Helter Skelter, and Revolution 1 are some of my favourite Beatles songs ever (While My Guitar Gently Weeps is actually my favourite song of theirs), but the rest of the album feels very bloated and the songs range from OK to forgettable to just plain weird. Abbey Road, I think, is a much more consistent album. All the tracks on it feel like they have a place, unlike the White Album.

I share you opinion about Abbey Road and would even go so far as to say that, in my view, it is their best crafted album although it does not match the creative and innovative pinnacle they reached with the historic masterpiece of Sgt. Pepper's.  I say that even though I prefer Abby Road personally.

 

I think that The White Album might be the one I find to be their most interesting release.  I thoroughly enjoy all the tracks, (Wild Honey Pie included), although Revolution #9 is more of a curiosity to me than anything else.  I also have to agree that the album is not particularly consistent in terms of style but I believe that the songs kind of open up a window that gives us a peak at the place where the band was at in their career and the directions they would head in the future.  It certainly is a hodgepodge to say the least but an enjoyable one and it has it's fair share of brilliance that we expect from the band. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,364
[WOLF3]
Members
6,932 posts
2,732 battles

I had to put it on while playing my low-tier BBs.  Big smile from both.   :-)

Savoy Truffle !

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,182
Alpha Tester
5,358 posts
2,572 battles
17 hours ago, Jacques_Squat said:

I think that The White Album might be the one I find to be their most interesting release.  I thoroughly enjoy all the tracks, (Wild Honey Pie included), although Revolution #9 is more of a curiosity to me than anything else.  I also have to agree that the album is not particularly consistent in terms of style but I believe that the songs kind of open up a window that gives us a peak at the place where the band was at in their career and the directions they would head in the future.  It certainly is a hodgepodge to say the least but an enjoyable one and it has it's fair share of brilliance that we expect from the band. 

I usually enjoy albums that have a wide variety of sounds and styles; For instance, one of my favourite albums of all time is Jekyll and Hyde by the Zac Brown Band, and in it a group known mostly for playing country, southern rock, and a little bit of R&B go into territory reserved for jazz, pop, soul, and even grunge. The difference between it and The White Album for me is that the Beatles' forays into different styles aren't as consistently good, in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
72 posts
557 battles
1 hour ago, 1Sherman said:

I usually enjoy albums that have a wide variety of sounds and styles; For instance, one of my favourite albums of all time is Jekyll and Hyde by the Zac Brown Band, and in it a group known mostly for playing country, southern rock, and a little bit of R&B go into territory reserved for jazz, pop, soul, and even grunge. The difference between it and The White Album for me is that the Beatles' forays into different styles aren't as consistently good, in my opinion.

I'm the same way.  I can't really say why but I guess that I attribute it to being exposed to a wide variety of music by my parents at an early age and growing up on AM radio at a time when you could hear Sinatra, The Beatles, Temptations, Johnny Cash, The Doors and Neil Diamond play on the same station not to mention the plethora of one hit wonders.  Radio kind of lost that as stations became more focused on specific types of music.  I am glad that the web offers the opportunities to hear almost anything but when it was all radio you were just generally exposed to a wider variety of styles. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,182
Alpha Tester
5,358 posts
2,572 battles
2 hours ago, Jacques_Squat said:

I'm the same way.  I can't really say why but I guess that I attribute it to being exposed to a wide variety of music by my parents at an early age and growing up on AM radio at a time when you could hear Sinatra, The Beatles, Temptations, Johnny Cash, The Doors and Neil Diamond play on the same station not to mention the plethora of one hit wonders.  Radio kind of lost that as stations became more focused on specific types of music.  I am glad that the web offers the opportunities to hear almost anything but when it was all radio you were just generally exposed to a wider variety of styles. 

My mom is a massive fan of music from the 50s and I grew up listening to her play it. Likewise, my dad introduced me to four of my favourite bands: The Eagles, Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, and Supertramp.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,364
[WOLF3]
Members
6,932 posts
2,732 battles

Tom Waits !  Especially, 'Frank's Wild Years' and 'Bone Machine'.  If Black Wings doesn't raise the hair on your arms, you may already be dead.

https://youtu.be/0i3cEdaM6y4

 

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,182
Alpha Tester
5,358 posts
2,572 battles
7 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Tom Waits !  Especially, 'Frank's Wild Years' and 'Bone Machine'.  If Black Wings doesn't raise the hair on your arms, you may already be dead.

https://youtu.be/0i3cEdaM6y4

 

 

I suppose I must already be dead then. That or I've just heard his style before with stuff like Blues Saraceno and the album Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Allison Krauss, one of my favourite albums of all time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,364
[WOLF3]
Members
6,932 posts
2,732 battles

I like those too, but if anyone started a style, it was Waits.  He's been at it since the early 70s, with some instrumental combinations you hear nowhere else.

BTW, 3 of those 4 videos won't play because the forum s/w won't let it.  Time to start posting raw links alongside.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,182
Alpha Tester
5,358 posts
2,572 battles
20 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I like those too, but if anyone started a style, it was Waits.  He's been at it since the early 70s, with some instrumental combinations you hear nowhere else.

BTW, 3 of those 4 videos won't play because the forum s/w won't let it.  Time to start posting raw links alongside.

 

I could play them all just fine, but I'll take your word for it. As for Waits, I like the outlaw feel, but I can't get past his voice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×