Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Abides

Shout out to the good CV drivers

6 comments in this topic

[DUDE_]
Members
3,078 posts
13,108 battles

Just played one of the most enjoyable tier ten games with cv's I can recall, the drivers were from Kraken and [M o f o s], who won doesn't matter, they were both so good....I got isolated and saved by our cv, then theirs came back....and nailed me...just two really good CV players... was really fun to actually play the game as it was designed.

Anyway, it's a shame that changes are coming, hopefully they keep us all engaged... I wish more was done concerning skill based MM for CV's so that these high skilled players don't get robbed of the skills they have learned and mastered.

o7

Edited by APA_204
  • Cool 3
  • Bad 2

[SALVO]
Members
17,652 posts
18,478 battles
45 minutes ago, APA_204 said:

Just played one of the most enjoyable tier ten games with cv's I can recall, the drivers were from Kraken and [M o f o s], who won doesn't matter, they were both so good....I got isolated and saved by our cv, then theirs came back....and nailed me...just two really good CV players... was really fun to actually play the game as it was designed.

Anyway, it's a shame that changes are coming, hopefully they keep us all engaged... I wish more was done concerning skill based MM for CV's so that these high skilled players don't get robbed of the skills they have learned and mastered.

o7

Dude, it's those very "high skilled" players that are in large part the reason for the CV rework.  The current CV design is such that it promotes a massive skill gap, which in turn scares away anyone from wanting to learn to play CVs.  You can even be pretty good at CVs, but if you go up against a unicums CV main, you're toast.  

I will say that I'm a bit concerned about the CV rework, though for different reasons.  I don't mind the attack model for the planes.  But it seems like you don't have to pay attention to your carrier at all.  Also, it'd be nice if it was possible to plot a course for your single squadron of planes while it's airborne so that you could flip back to your carrier to adjust its course or whatever else needs doing.  Mind you, if I'm wrong about the exact current state of the CV rework, my bad.  I've tried keeping up by watching the CC's CV rework videos, but I may not be up to date.  I'm just a little concerned that the carrier player really won't be playing the whole package as it will be that they're playing the carrier's planes without any concern for the ship itself.  And as such, one almost has to wonder why even bother with putting the dang carrier on the map.  It might as well just be an off map resource, if the player has little control over the carrier ship.

• Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,568 posts
10,014 battles

For folks like me who are of average game skill, but more into it for the 'COLLECTION' of these toys....

It feels like WG is going to come and steal some of my favorite toys.

For example, the Hiryu is one of my favorite ships...  to LOOK AT.   Play is a bit hairy with 6 squadrons and a ship to keep track of.

In play style, it's also one of the meanest bot opponents, since computers love complexity and have immediate algorithms for tactics.

It's too bad we can't keep the Hiryu, Independence, Bogue, Essex, Tiaho, and Zuiho in port -- as literal 'Port Queen's

Or maybe replicate them as a second tree with a little different flavor in play.

All the work that went into these fantastic 3D models is going to waste.  Such a pity.

HiryuHarbor.jpg

[DUDE_]
Members
3,078 posts
13,108 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Dude, it's those very "high skilled" players that are in large part the reason for the CV rework.  The current CV design is such that it promotes a massive skill gap, which in turn scares away anyone from wanting to learn to play CVs.  You can even be pretty good at CVs, but if you go up against a unicums CV main, you're toast.  

I will say that I'm a bit concerned about the CV rework, though for different reasons.  I don't mind the attack model for the planes.  But it seems like you don't have to pay attention to your carrier at all.  Also, it'd be nice if it was possible to plot a course for your single squadron of planes while it's airborne so that you could flip back to your carrier to adjust its course or whatever else needs doing.  Mind you, if I'm wrong about the exact current state of the CV rework, my bad.  I've tried keeping up by watching the CC's CV rework videos, but I may not be up to date.  I'm just a little concerned that the carrier player really won't be playing the whole package as it will be that they're playing the carrier's planes without any concern for the ship itself.  And as such, one almost has to wonder why even bother with putting the dang carrier on the map.  It might as well just be an off map resource, if the player has little control over the carrier ship.

can't argue any of your points, just really fun to play in a game with two high skilled CV's. 

Members
115 posts
6,374 battles
9 minutes ago, Crucis said:

But it seems like you don't have to pay attention to your carrier at all. 

To be perfectly honest, I'm not quite sure why we even have control of the carrier at this point. WG clearly thinks that we can't multitask between the CV and the planes. Who in their right mind is actually going to spend extended periods of time driving the CV, contributing nothing to the battle, when they could be piloting the planes? If so - Why don't they just move the CVS off the map, and let the planes battle it out?

To be clear, I don't like that idea whatsoever - But it's essentially what we're getting

[SALVO]
Members
17,652 posts
18,478 battles
9 minutes ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

To be perfectly honest, I'm not quite sure why we even have control of the carrier at this point. WG clearly thinks that we can't multitask between the CV and the planes. Who in their right mind is actually going to spend extended periods of time driving the CV, contributing nothing to the battle, when they could be piloting the planes? If so - Why don't they just move the CVS off the map, and let the planes battle it out?

To be clear, I don't like that idea whatsoever - But it's essentially what we're getting

Well, OmegaDuck, it's not so much that anyone wants or really needs to spend extended periods of time driving their CV.  I've played carriers a little, and from time to time, you want to jump into the autopilot screen to set some waypoints for your CV.  Or maybe if you realize that your carrier is about to come under TB attack, maybe jump into the CV to try to dodge the torpedoes. 

It's not about extended play in the ship, so much as the occasional need to jump into it to deal with a minor issue that doesn't have to do with your squadrons.

Regardless, it seems hard to think that carriers are in the game when it seems like there's next to nothing to do with the carrier itself involved in so-called carrier play.

Sign in to follow this