You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Erebthoron

CV rework: odd tier CV's removed, premium CV are moved to T8

189 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,382 posts
19,417 battles

New Class, New Balance

In Round 3 of testing, you'll be able to climb entire carrier lines from tier IV to X. 

It's worth remembering that learning a new class is a long process. You need to play more than a dozen fights to start to get to grips with the new mechanics. You'll control squadrons with new air defense mechanics and need to learn how to maneuver in time to avoid anti-aircraft fire. Consider enemy squadrons and predict the actions of your target! Don't despair if your attack on the enemy doesn't work the first time – practice makes perfect. 

What awaits you in the upcoming test? We worked hard on the final versions of the visuals and new mechanics/balance. We're eagerly awaiting your feedback on:

• the responsiveness of aircraft management
  • clarity of the interface
  • the mechanics 

Balance is one of the most important elements in any game. Unfortunately, on the test server, it can be quite far from what will be in the final version. That is why one of the main tasks of testing is to collect primary data for further balancing. After that, we'll continue to work on aircraft carriers and their planes -- but we can't do that without your feedback! 

We continue to search for a solution that will allow aircraft carriers to fend off enemy air attacks. One option is to add fighters that will patrol and defend the aircraft carrier automatically. The enemy will have to spend precious time and resources in the preparatory raids to conduct a successful attack.

What changes will be implemented with matchmaker? We plan to expand the maximum number of aircraft carriers in combat due to the possible increase in the popularity of this class. However, we can't say for sure until we see how new carriers affect the balance overall. We expect that the average number of aircraft carriers in the team will remain in the area of one or two, but with a more stable presence in the battles.

If we talk about matchmaking in terms of divisions, the restriction will remain the same — one aircraft carrier per division.

Now aircraft carriers will only be on even tiers (tiers IV, VI, VIII, X). The tier gaps allow for a more dramatic increase in effectiveness as you ascend: better performance at the new tier, more aircraft per squadron, better weapons and, more damage and opportunities to influence the battle. But, with great power comes great responsibility, and the price of making an error rises: enemy air defense will be stronger and maneuvering a large squadron between the gaps of anti-air fire will become increasingly difficult.

Of course, this change will affect the efficiency of the matchmaker. It will be faster to join battles with an aircraft carrier because the players in this class will be concentrated on fewer tiers.

Changes will also affect the economy: the moving from tier to tier will be more expensive both in experience and in credits; however, it will be less than the old transition between two tiers. For example, the transition from the new tier VI to tier VIII will be, in total, cheaper than it is now.

"Ammunition" of Aircraft Carriers

Upgrades, commanders skill, and signals are also waiting to be updated. Almost everything carrier-related in the game now will remain in the game and may change their properties and bonuses. In addition, several new ones will be added to them.

Upgrades

Anti-Aircraft Upgrades

Slot Name Pre-Rework Post-Rework
3 AA Guns Modification 1 (formerly named AA Guns Modification 2) Extends firing range of AA mounts

Increases AA effectiveness at long, medium, and short ranges
6 AA Guns Modification 2 (formerly names AA Guns Modification 3) Increases average AA damage

Increases number of AA explosions at long and medium ranges

Squadron Upgrades

Slot Name Pre-Rework Post-Rework
1 Air Groups Modification 1 Increases effecitveness of aircraft guns Increases the speed of aircraft returning to carrier

Flight Control Modification 1 Accelerates aircraft servicing Reduces aircraft prep time and increases maximum number of aircraft
Air Groups Modification 2 Inccreases fighter HP and ammunition Replaced with three new upgrades:
Attack Aircraft Modification 1 Non-existent Increases attack aircraft HP
Torpedo Bombers Modification 1 Non-existent Increases torpedo bomber HP
Dive Bombers Modification 1 Non-existent Increases dive bomber HP

Aircraft Engine Modification 1 Non-existent Increases Boost time of aircraft
Torpedo Bombers Modification 2 Non-existent Increases attack time of torpedo bombers
Attack Aircraft Modification 2 Non-existent Increaes attack time of attack aircraft
5 Concealment System Modification 1 Increases ship concealment Concealment increase now applies to planes
6 Flight Control Modification 2 Increases aircraft speed No changes 
Air Groups Modification 2 (formerly named Air Groups Modification 2) Increases attack aircraft HP Increases HP of all aircraft

Unique upgrades:

Work on them is in progress. They will remain with the players who have already managed to get them. However, it is impossible to install them on aircraft carriers yet, and for some time they will be "frozen".

Commander skills

The squadron part of the skill tree was completely changed:

Number of Skill Points Name Changed To
1 Priority Target For aircraft carrier squadrons - displays the number of ships’ AA defense which is firing on them
Improved boost (instead of Dogfighting Expert) Increases the Boost working time for squadrons
Aviation armor (instead of Aircraft Servicing Expert) Reduces incoming damage caused to aircraft from ships’ short-range AA defense
Final Push (instead of Evasive Maneuver) Fully restores the Boost of the aircraft carrier’s last strike unit 
2 Adrenaline Rush Increases the speed of planes as the plane’s health decreases.
Improved Engines (instead of Expert Rear Gunner) Increased speed of planes
3 Demolition Expert Increases the chance of setting an enemy ship on fire
Survivability Expert Now works on all CV planes and the new “Catapult Fighter”, as well as the aircraft carrier itself
Air Supremacy (instead of Emergency Takeoff) Accelerates the recovery of planes and increases the maximum number of planes on deck
Vigilance Doesn't work on CV planes, because they can't spot torpedoes
Superintendent Doesn't work on CV planes
4  Concealment Expert  Now works on CV planes 
Sight stabilization (instead Air Supremacy) Reduces time to focus on a target when performing air attacks on ships.  
Radio Location Now works on CV planes

Influencing the effectiveness of AA defense:

Number of Skill Points Name Changed To
1 Direction Center for Catapult Aircraft When you activate the consumable "Catapult Fighter”, you launch an additional aircraft. Reduced time to launch fighters. No longer valid on consumable "Spotting Aircraft”, only for "Catapult Fighter”. 
3 Basic Firing Training Improves performance of main guns with a caliber up to and including 139mm, secondary guns and close-range AA guns
4 Advanced Firing Training Extends firing range of main guns with a caliber up to and including 139mm and all secondary battery guns. Also increases performance of all AA guns.
Manual Fire Control for AA Armament Increases the efficiency of your priority AA sector and reduces the switching time between the AA sectors 

Signals

Name Previous Benefit  New Benefit 
November Echo Setteseven Increases the AA effectiveness and defensive armament of planes Increases AA effectiveness long-, medium- and short-range
India Delta Increases the number of HP points recovered with Repair Party consumable Now works on planes when Repair Party consumable is activated

Compensation

The General principle for compensation for current CV players is very simple: you will not lose anything — on the contrary, you can even make some gains:

With the release of new aircraft carriers all players who have researched current CV tech tree lines will be compensated for the difference between two even or two odd levels of aircraft carriers with free XP and credits.

If the player has researched aircraft carriers on even tiers (tiers IV, VI, VIII, X):

The accumulated experience remains on the current ship or on the one that will replace it in the new version.

The researched modules are replaced by similar ones on the new aircraft carrier. If the module has already been purchased, the same module is charged to the new one.

If the aircraft carrier does not have similar modules, the XP spent on their research is compensated by an equal amount of free XP and the full cost of credits.

If the old aircraft carrier has all the modules researched, the new aircraft carrier will also all the modules researched, even if they are the new versions.

If the player has researched aircraft carriers on odd tiers (tiers V, VII, IX):

All XP is transferred to the aircraft carrier below the tier.

All XP spent on researched modules is compensated by equal amount of free XP and the full cost of credits.

The difference between research costs of the carrier in the new system and the total cost of researching the carrier and her predecessor in the old system will be compensated in Free XP.

Example: the player has researched Ryujo and Hosho. Hosho will be researched and the playerwill be awarded 9300 free experience (13600 old Ryujo + 6700 old Hosho-11000 new Hosho) 

General rules for all aircraft carriers:

All upgrades installed on aircraft carriers, including unique ones, are removed and moved to your Inventory.

Upgrades that can only be installed on aircraft carriers are offset by their full cost in credits.

All the commanders of aircraft carriers of even tiers retrain and move to new aircraft carriers of even tiers.

All the commanders of aircraft carriers of odd tiers retrain on the new aircraft carriers at a lower tier and are moved to the Reserve.

All aircraft carrier commanders reset their skills. 

All the permanent camos of carriers on even tiers are replaced with similar permanent camos with the addition of new aircraft carriers from even tiers.

All permanent camouflages of odd tier aircraft carriers are removed and compensated at the full cost in doubloons.

Rules for premium aircraft carriers:

All old premium aircraft carriers at tier VIII are replaced with new premium aircraft carriers of the same tier. All ship XP and commander skills are transferred to the new carrier.

Premium aircraft carriers Saipan and Kaga (currently tier VII) are replaced with the new version of premium aircraft carriers Saipan and Kaga (now tier VIII). All the XP and specialization of the commander transferred to the new aircraft carriers.

Special permanent camouflage for Enterprise (Azur Lane Enterprise) will be removed from accounts. Its full cost in doubloons will be credited to player's account. If you wish, you can buy it again for the same amount of Doubloons.

Special permanent camouflage for Graf Zeppelin is transferred to the new Graf Zeppelin.

Finally, if you do not like the new gameplay, or you want to go through the whole branch from beginning to end again, you can exchange your researched tech tree aircraft carriers for credits and free experience. You can also sell Premium aircraft carriers for their full cost in doubloons. 

At the same time, the exchange of the researched aircraft carriers will only be allowed in reverse order (from the upper tiers to the lower tiers). For example, if you decide to sell the Ranger, you will not be able to keep the higher tier aircraft carrier (tier X Midway). XP from the ship will transfer to the ship on the first tier of this nation. When you exchange or sell permanent Camos you will be reimbursed in the full value of doubloons.

Detailed information about the methods of exchange will be covered in the final patch notes before the full release.

Take it with a montain of salt if this hit's the live server (besides I really hate the rework):

We will lose the iconic CV's:

Independence (first new CV that went out into the Pacific)

Essex (backbone of the CV fleet)

Hiryu (part of Pearl Harbor and Midway)

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/carrier-underwood/

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
7,109 posts
4,839 battles
12 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Now aircraft carriers will only be on even tiers (tiers IV, VI, VIII, X).

My Bogue is not happy with this. 

[ICOP]
Members
992 posts
3,604 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

My Bogue is not happy with this. 

I concur, though I mostly play CoOp.

[FYL]
Members
252 posts
1,406 battles

The tech tree change alone is incredibly displeasing, they do not seem to be fixing any of the real issues with this style and I was excited after they asked for feedback on controlling multiple units. Why even ask if you are going to ignore the demands for it? My optimism for this style is pretty much thoroughly quashed at this point. I'm not sure I'll even help them test in this third iteration.

Edited by Tanuvein

[5BS]
Members
4,987 posts

What. The. [edited]. So the Essex, one of the most important CV classes of WWII (and beyond) is just... poof?

[ARGSY]
Members
7,109 posts
4,839 battles
4 minutes ago, Junostorm said:

I concur, though I mostly play CoOp.

I took my Langley into Randoms once and did so horribly I never went back.

I expect the odd-tier tech-tree CVs to be compensated in full on their withdrawal, with their XP transferred to the ship immediately below (e.g. my Bogue's XP transferred to the Langley) when this goes through. I had good reasons for free-XPing to Bogue, but if I knew the odd tier ships were going to be deleted completely I might never have done it. IIRC the compensation for return will be in free XP, so maybe I'll get that back anyway.

[HINON]
Members
9,317 posts
2 hours ago, Tanuvein said:

The tech tree change alone is incredibly displeasing, they do not seem to be fixing any of the real issues with this style and I was excited after they asked for feedback on controlling multiple units. Why even ask if you are going to ignore the demands for it? My optimism for this style is pretty much thoroughly quashed at this point. I'm not sure I'll even help them test in this third iteration.

Well to be fair, WG has gotten feedback in both directions. They will never be able to incorporate feedback from every player because players often have different and diametrically opposed ideas. Many players were not comfortable with the amount of micro needed with the current system of multiple squadrons and it led to the outsized influence of CVs due to spotting which harried many players especially DDs. So even though they didn't incorporate your feedback they did incorporate the feedback of other players.

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 2

Beta Testers
1,219 posts
6,483 battles

I like to imagine that this is only for testing purposes. I would hope so anyway. If this is actually the plan for live...I have real big doubts unless they also find some way to include the carriers removed in some fashion. Not Bogue or Langley though.

[SF-A]
Members
2,946 posts
5,873 battles

Nah, they'll bring back a full tech tree. The opportunity to sell premium CVs at odd tiers is too attractive, so they'll fill in the lines again.

Besides, this also offers the ability to have a split tech tree. The USN certainly has the history for it.

[5BS]
Members
4,987 posts

They've been planing dropping the Odd tiers for awhile. This now makes LOADS of more sense now.

Edited by _RC1138
  • Cool 1

[-ARP-]
Members
430 posts
3,941 battles

I'm honestly quite livid. 

Now aircraft carriers will only be on even tiers (tiers IV, VI, VIII, X). The tier gaps allow for a more dramatic increase in effectiveness as you ascend: better performance at the new tier, more aircraft per squadron, better weapons and, more damage and opportunities to influence the battle.

What kind of crap reason is this.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[RUST]
Beta Testers
965 posts
10,639 battles
1 minute ago, AyanoMidori said:

Reduce the number of tiers and concentrate CV players for quicker MM. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the odd tier carriers will come back as a separate tree and re-tier to the new tree.

[5BS]
Members
4,987 posts
1 minute ago, AyanoMidori said:

I'm honestly quite livid. 

Now aircraft carriers will only be on even tiers (tiers IV, VI, VIII, X). The tier gaps allow for a more dramatic increase in effectiveness as you ascend: better performance at the new tier, more aircraft per squadron, better weapons and, more damage and opportunities to influence the battle.

As I said, they've been apparently planning this for awhile, at least more than a month or two, since the DevBlog announcement for the RN CV's only showed Tiers 4, 6, two 8's, and 10. We all assumed they just hadn't settled on the right CV for the odd tiers, but it may have been an early clue of the intention to not have odd tiered CV's.

[NUWES]
Members
1,707 posts
5,884 battles
26 minutes ago, General_WTSherman said:

My guess is these iconic CV’s will return as premiums some day

My suspicion as well.

[-ARP-]
Members
430 posts
3,941 battles
28 minutes ago, General_WTSherman said:

My guess is these iconic CV’s will return as premiums some day

That would be absolutely scummy of them.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,989 posts
10,664 battles

I am still not entirely convinced that they will be reducing carriers to only even tiers in the live version, while they have been moving in that way it does make sense for test. The RN carriers only being at even tiers is odd, but the whole 'release' there is very odd, the ship images just thrown on the dev blog with no stats, no real line announcement.

The USN cruiser rework did come in stages, heavy-light, the RN CV... maybe.

I see some major pros and cons with the even-only rework:

Pros:

• T5 will no longer see T7 carriers, seeing T4 or T6 only, given the step-change with DFAA on cruisers at T6 and the stupid strike power of T7 carriers vs. T5's I think that's a good thing
  • Fewer ships may be nominally easier to balance

Cons:

• WG have said the whole reason for keeping the contentious +/-2 tier matchmaking was to provide diversity, well, by doing this you've reduced potential carrier diversity by 1/3 for T10, 2/5 for T8 and 1/2 for T6. Good?
  • How is progression going to work? You'll have someone playing the T6 Ranger one match, finally unlock the T8 and play it the next and jump into T10 matchmaking in it, is that sensible? People don't like the idea of Derpitz's buying T8 prems but this could also be problematic
  • Removing historically interesting ships
  • This smacks of WG realizing that 2 lines + prems was about 18 carriers to balance and deciding it would just be easier to do half
Edited by mofton

[S-N-D]
Members
1,685 posts
5,741 battles
50 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Now aircraft carriers will only be on even tiers (tiers IV, VI, VIII, X). The tier gaps allow for a more dramatic increase in effectiveness as you ascend: better performance at the new tier, more aircraft per squadron, better weapons and, more damage and opportunities to influence the battle. But, with great power comes great responsibility, and the price of making an error rises: enemy air defense will be stronger and maneuvering a large squadron between the gaps of anti-air fire will become increasingly difficult.

More powerful AA? CVs have more power? What power? For years cv players were promised a update to make things better and you are gutting the class while repeating the mantra it's better and more powerful. Ah well, at least I get to watch the CV die off and a public response be issued as to how no one is playing them any more and people complaining about useless AA ships.

Seriously, the idea that a skill gap is going to be closed by making success with a CV depend on your ability to navigate black clouds that appear on screen while trying to aim all manual shots against a maneuvering ship is so obtuse and incoherent as to be amusing to read. This company resides outside of objective reality.

Edited by _Caliph_
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[YAN]
Members
1,641 posts
7,769 battles

I hands down quit if they remove odd tier CVs.

I looked forward to the rework to have an enjoyable experience in Taihou again, but removing her??

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 4

[FYL]
Members
252 posts
1,406 battles
30 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Well to be fair, WG has gotten feedback in both directions. They will never be able to incorporate feedback from every player because players often have different and diametrically opposed ideas. Many players were not comfortable with the amount of micro needed with the current system of multiple squadrons and it lead to the outsized influence of CVs due to spotting which harried many players especially DDs. So even though they didn't incorporate your feedback they did incorporate the feedback of other players.

I suppose that's true. It'd be interesting if they released the poll/survey numbers, at least as ratios.

Sadly this ends my intention to level up CVs again. I'm still hoping to get to t8 or t9 in my USN line before the change so I can experience the fun as long as possible. 

I may get the lowest tier if quest and RN equivalent events require it, but with the change I hope they don't. This is going to make some of the campaigns nearly impossible for me if I can't get a carrier up to the proper level in time before the change.

Edited by Tanuvein

[90THD]
[90THD]
Members
2,821 posts
2,116 battles
29 minutes ago, SeraphicRadiance said:

I like to imagine that this is only for testing purposes. I would hope so anyway. If this is actually the plan for live...I have real big doubts unless they also find some way to include the carriers removed in some fashion. Not Bogue or Langley though.

29 minutes ago, pewpewpew42 said:

Nah, they'll bring back a full tech tree. The opportunity to sell premium CVs at odd tiers is too attractive, so they'll fill in the lines again.

And these explain why they move Kaga and Saipan to Tier 8? Neither of which are in Testing so far?

Members
18,949 posts
5,333 battles
38 minutes ago, AyanoMidori said:

Wait they are removing some carriers? But why??? You better tell us..

"The tier gaps allow for a more dramatic increase in effectiveness as you ascend: better performance at the new tier, more aircraft per squadron, better weapons and, more damage and opportunities to influence the battle."

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
7,109 posts
4,839 battles
7 minutes ago, mofton said:

Removing historically interesting ships

If you remove the odd tiers, the US navy loses Bogue, Saipan and Essex. If you remove Midway, which did not commission until after VJ day, you can probably find ways to buff the Essex (which did fight in WW2) to Tier X. Essex did after all serve in Korea also, so giving her Tier X planes is not ahistorical and tweaking the times it takes for the various squadrons to recycle could make her competitive at T10 in terms of putting planes in the air.

A similar adjustment could be made for the Japanese carriers, with Hakuryu (a blueprint-only ship) leaving and Taiho being pushed up to Tier X in the same way as above. Hiryu is more of a problem and might require removing Ryujo to nerf her down or Shokaku to buff her upwards.

• Cool 1