You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Elo_J_Fudpucker

Earning Tier 10 - Is it too easy??

20 comments in this topic

[WAG]
Members
1,418 posts
8,054 battles

It feels like there are a lot of players in Tier 10 that are.. well they don't seem to have developed the skills one would anticipate from a Tier 10 player, or that one used to expect when playing T10... it feels now a lot like T5 with people doing the lemming thing or bunching up behind islands, and basically either not filling their ships role or and/or seemingly  not using any form of strategy or the appearance of not applying any.

Has WG made it too easy to get to Tier 10?

Does the game need a farm team system where you have to demonstrate ability?( Not sure how that would freekin work)

It is too rare that we find ourselves with capable players in a random.. last week in my Biz I had an Alabama capt who was just spot on, every time I looked he was doing the right things, right along side me... it was glorious....

thoughts/ideas/suggestions/more dessert?

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 4

[HINON]
Members
9,351 posts

Nope, any one can get there with enough games and free xp is a thing. It's still a long grind though if one is ftp and doesn't use free xp.

[TSPC]
Members
2,379 posts
7,260 battles
15 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

It feels like there are a lot of players in Tier 10 that are.. well they don't seem to have developed the skills one would anticipate from a Tier 10 player, or that one used to expect when playing T10... it feels now a lot like T5 with people doing the lemming thing or bunching up behind islands, and basically either not filling their ships role or and/or seemingly  not using any form of strategy or the appearance of not applying any.

Has WG made it too easy to get to Tier 10?

Does the game need a farm team system where you have to demonstrate ability?( Not sure how that would freekin work)

It is too rare that we find ourselves with capable players in a random.. last week in my Biz I had an Alabama capt who was just spot on, every time I looked he was doing the right things, right along side me... it was glorious....

thoughts/ideas/suggestions/more dessert?

Are you referring to yourself?

Because I'm not really sure why someone who themselves is only 44% in TX games (and 46% in T-IX) would be suggesting this type of thing otherwise.

• Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[WAG]
Members
1,418 posts
8,054 battles
6 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Are you referring to yourself?

Because I'm not really sure why someone who themselves is only 44% in TX games (and 46% in T-IX) would be suggesting this type of thing otherwise.

Are we stat shaming?

Do you have anything to say on the subject or did you just come inhere to stat bash?

(PS my current win rate over the last 20 games is 65% T7.8 avg)

(PPS ooh look.. I have a higher win rate than you do over the last 20 battles, Hmmmmmm)

Edited by Elo_J_Fudpucker
  • Boring 1

[FARQD]
Members
447 posts
6,732 battles
1 minute ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

Are we stat shaming?

Do you have anything to say on the subject or did you just come inhere to stat bash?

Not a wise thing to throw stones standing in a glass house. How is it fine when you started a post to shame the t10 community?

For me its simple. Anyone can play any tier ships however they want if they think its fun for them. No one has the right to ask them to stop it and if anyone doesn't like they should find home in clan battles. It's just a game and don't expect everyone to take it seriously. 

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[TSPC]
Members
2,379 posts
7,260 battles
Just now, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

Are we stat shaming?

It makes me confused to see someone bashing the general TX player population skill level and suggesting something like this:

where they themselves would likely not "graduate" from the system. 

There is always a better grouping of players who consider you a player "not using any form of strategy or the appearance  of not applying  any." There are players so much better than me that they likely are annoyed when I am on their team as compared to their clanmates, because they are in a league better than I am.

The problem is most people put themselves into a league or two above where their actual skill level resides.

• Cool 1

[WAG]
Members
1,418 posts
8,054 battles
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

The problem is most people put themselves into a league or two above where their actual skill level resides.

Including yourself?

You shot at me with a slam..... pretty much implying that YOU were unicum and*I* was not and that I should be quiet as I was not Leet enough  to have an opinion and then you come out with a line like that?!?!?  Dude....

[TSPC]
Members
2,379 posts
7,260 battles
1 minute ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

Including yourself?

You shot at me with a slam..... pretty much implying that YOU were unicum and*I* was not and that I should be quiet as I was not Leet enough  to have an opinion and then you come out with a line like that?!?!?  Dude....

When did I say any of that?

[FYL]
Members
253 posts
1,476 battles

Putting yourself a tier above your comfortable level seems like the exact way to improve. I don't pick easy rock climbing or mountain biking routes if I want to get better.

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,641 posts
8,499 battles
40 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

It feels like there are a lot of players in Tier 10 that are.. well they don't seem to have developed the skills one would anticipate from a Tier 10 player, or that one used to expect when playing T10

Unless you constantly see a player - you cannot determine their skill and knowledge because you could have easily just caught them in a bad match or day. And even then, what are you expecting, the gods of war in a divine battle? Look at any number of pro sports where these players are supposed to be "the best" and some really aren't. Hell, even look at the Manning brothers. Both are QB's, at the pro level, with 2 Super Bowl wins, yet Peyton is significantly better than Eli.

To the direct question - no, it's not too easy. The game is over 3 years old now. That means even at 500 xp a game, for the roughly 1 million needed to go from tier 1-10, you need 2000 games in the line, meaning by now even some of those that haven't developed some skills are going to start getting up there. Namely guys who maybe play a few times a week so don't get that ingrained knowledge. And even then even if they had it things change and they may not have updated info, and sometimes the old ways start working less effectively cause people figure a counter and on we go.

56 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

doing the lemming thing or bunching up behind islands, and basically either not filling their ships role or and/or seemingly  not using any form of strategy or the appearance of not applying any.

Not sure when you got to high tier, but those matches have ALWAYS been camp fests, least in my experience and why I honestly hate playing up there. More importantly, the reasons for "lemmings" is people getting sick and tired of being the ones not in a group, that get murdered by the other teams lemmings. Outside of CV matches where being in a group makes you harder to target. Island hiding and not filling roles is a product of the COMBINATION of IFHE and fires that puts out stupid high numbers of consistent near unblockable DPM even without setting a fire, that melts everything made worse with monsters like Worcester, and Radar that with ranges between 8-11 km drive off DD's from caps cause the ship radaring them is usually - behind an island. And the guns that melt BB's melt those DD's fast too. Which, leaves cruisers but they are terrified of getting a citadel hit because sometimes over match, sometimes forgetting dodge and angle, and therefore, sit behind the islands and just radar and shoot over. So now the BB's can't hit the cruisers, because they are hiding behind the islands, the BB's are hiding or at max ranges because CL in particular will literally melt them while firing over the island immune from return fire, the DD can't get close because of radar, from the cruisers, to take out the BB's, so maybe the cruisers move, or take out the cruisers, so maybe the BB's move, which leaves only CV's, except that even if the other teams CV is AFK, is rendered useless if the red team has half a damn brain to stick together so that they have an impenetrable AA wall that just slaughters planes before they can even try and attack. 

Members
19,036 posts
5,351 battles
1 hour ago, Tanuvein said:

Putting yourself a tier above your comfortable level seems like the exact way to improve. I don't pick easy rock climbing or mountain biking routes if I want to get better.

True, but when you wipe out your bike, or fall off the rock, how often are you taking other climbers/cyclists with you? If your education was causing others to be hurt, wouldn't it be prudent to practice by yourself until you attained enough skill not to hurt fellow cyclists/climbers when you cycle/climb with them?

Having said that, my personal attitude is that you can cycle or climb wherever you want, and if you do hurt me in the process, I don't care.

Edited by Skpstr

Members
4,679 posts
6,848 battles

Game allows anyone to get in tier 10.  Many have few matches. That's just how it is yet some still cannot seem to grasp that.  Nothing special about that tier (except the biggest ships developed in WWII) but I see so many gripe about it.  Never been able to understand why given what I said in my first sentence. 

[PVE]
Members
6,453 posts
11,451 battles

Nope I don't believe it is too easy to get to T10. It is a LONG grind to get to a T10 ship no matter your skill level. IF you are a bad player it will take even longer. People can fail their way there eventually and be a bad player. Nothing can change that barring a major overhaul of how ships are ground in the game and I am not so sure I would be in favor of that. It's like  how I am told people can rank out by playing enough to eventually get carried to rank 1. Put the time in and even a bad player will eventually get there.

[FYL]
Members
253 posts
1,476 battles
7 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

True, but when you wipe out your bike, or fall off the rock, how often are you taking other climbers/cyclists with you? If your education was causing others to be hurt, wouldn't it be prudent to practice by yourself until you attained enough skill not to hurt fellow cyclists/climbers when you cycle/climb with them?

Having said that, my personal attitude is that you can cycle or climb wherever you want, and if you do hurt me in the process, I don't care.

There's a logic there, but I feel as you do. If someone wants to follow me in my bike off a cliff edge into the typical thousand foot drops to the valley, (live in the Rockies), it's their fault for not looking ahead and any guilt I'd feel will quickly be squashed - or, perhaps, squished :P

Members
19,036 posts
5,351 battles
2 minutes ago, y_vonne said:

...everything's easier with $

I dunno, Charmin is more absorbent and less scratchy.....:Smile_veryhappy:

[M_INC]
Members
105 posts
6,682 battles

i'm l-o-l'ing nervously...no sooner than i read that post than a Charmin commercial came on Pandora!

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
897 posts
5,318 battles

I know I have struggled in high tiers. I don't know the maps and I need to learn the meta. So far in my Benson I had a string of games where the cruisers and BBs have made sure the i line is safe while wanting me to out duel 2 DDs by myself. It has not ended well for me, but I'll keep trying. I think part of the problem is I'm alone against Gearings and other tier Xs in my Benson. I know VIII isn't tier X but it might as well be. :Smile-_tongue:

Edited by Mainerd