Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AdmiralHattori

Vanguard is Great!

11 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

109
[KNTI2]
[KNTI2]
Members
180 posts
8,749 battles

I really like the Vanguard. It's what I ideally wanted from the RN BBs line to be; superb accuracy and consistent, decent AP penetration, strong HE with a reasonable fire chance (30-40%), and good concealment. I personally didn't like the current model of the RN BB line where it is average accuracy, below average AP performance, and strong HE with fire chance of 40-50%. When I purchased the Warspite way before the RN BB line was announce, I honestly thought the Warspite would be the role model for the line. I know a lot of people were doubtful about what Vanguard has to offer but it has a been while that I had this much fun in a battleship that is like no other, regardless if I win/lose or do well/poor, I'm having a lot of fun with her maneuverability and the satisfaction of having a hit rate of 30-60%.

Thank you WG for giving the Vanguard a taste that I can't find anywhere else other than the Vanguard herself and Warspite.

WorldOfWarships 2018-11-19 02-13-06-007.png

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
466
[CUTER]
Members
731 posts
19,720 battles

I will echo this sentiment.  I am no where near my final goal of games played in her, but she is a very solid BB, and I am glad I picked up this refreshingly fun T8 BB.  The accuracy of these guns makes her what I always thought the brits should have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
61 posts
1,732 battles

I'm enjoying the different play style compared to the main line. The AP and accuracy is fantastic. You can brutalise same tier, lower tier BBs. I find I need to use HE a little more for consistency against higher tier BBs. 

I realised how ridiculous these underwater citadels are after playing mainline RN BBs. I got deleted for 50k health by a Republique after making a mistake. I find it's a pretty challenging BB to play, good fun though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,596 posts
8,676 battles

Hey

I have to say for myself in the 4 games I have played with it; I have not been able to get more than 55K damage with it (40-45 avg).  The ships handles like a dream, and the guns are good on cruisers but don't seem to get much damage on BB's.  2 games were T10 games and I have not been lower than 4th place on my teams, which all have been losses.  I am enjoying the ships handling and the guns too, but the lack of damage considering it's accuracy is a downside so far.  More time, more games will tell better than the few I have played yesterday when I picked it up.   Nice to have a RN BB, that shoots AP instead of brainless spamming of HE from BB's

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
61 posts
1,732 battles
1 hour ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I have to say for myself in the 4 games I have played with it; I have not been able to get more than 55K damage with it (40-45 avg).  The ships handles like a dream, and the guns are good on cruisers but don't seem to get much damage on BB's.  2 games were T10 games and I have not been lower than 4th place on my teams, which all have been losses.  I am enjoying the ships handling and the guns too, but the lack of damage considering it's accuracy is a downside so far.  More time, more games will tell better than the few I have played yesterday when I picked it up.   Nice to have a RN BB, that shoots AP instead of brainless spamming of HE from BB's

 

Pete

I'm averaging the same tbh. I'm struggling to get anymore than 40-50k damage in tier 9-10 games. I've had some lucky citadels on broadside NC's but other than that, bounces and shatters. T10 BBs I feel I shouldn't even bother firing.

Played Hood and Warspite and I was at an effortless 80-90k within a few salvos.

My Monarch WR is 65%. Never had any issues dealing damage in it even when I was up tiered. 

I've found much better success moving with a friendly BB on a flank, if I try to support a DD/CA push, I find I can't carry at all. You just can't scare other BB's with these guns unless they're full broadside.

Time will tell I guess.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,596 posts
8,676 battles
1 hour ago, VanillaPepsi said:

I'm averaging the same tbh. I'm struggling to get anymore than 40-50k damage in tier 9-10 games. I've had some lucky citadels on broadside NC's but other than that, bounces and shatters. T10 BBs I feel I shouldn't even bother firing.

Played Hood and Warspite and I was at an effortless 80-90k within a few salvos.

My Monarch WR is 65%. Never had any issues dealing damage in it even when I was up tiered. 

I've found much better success moving with a friendly BB on a flank, if I try to support a DD/CA push, I find I can't carry at all. You just can't scare other BB's with these guns unless they're full broadside.

Time will tell I guess.

 

Hey

I had another T10 game this morning and it was something like 45K; I was on the flank but just couldn't get no good pens with the AP even on broadside BB's (Tirpitz).  Later I engaged a Montana but found that the only way to do anything was to switch to HE and set a few fires on him, shot at a 10km Minotaur but only got a ricochets so overall, there seems to be very little carry potential, much less influence, at least in the games I have played.  A bit disappointing considering how good the boat handles, the turret rotation, the accuracy although decent doesn't help when the shells hit but don't do damage.   Feels more like a T6 to T7 ship instead of T8; the good HP pool doesn't save you in a T10 game.

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
61 posts
1,732 battles
13 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I had another T10 game this morning and it was something like 45K; I was on the flank but just couldn't get no good pens with the AP even on broadside BB's (Tirpitz).  Later I engaged a Montana but found that the only way to do anything was to switch to HE and set a few fires on him, shot at a 10km Minotaur but only got a ricochets so overall, there seems to be very little carry potential, much less influence, at least in the games I have played.  A bit disappointing considering how good the boat handles, the turret rotation, the accuracy although decent doesn't help when the shells hit but don't do damage.   Feels more like a T6 to T7 ship instead of T8; the good HP pool doesn't save you in a T10 game.

 

Pete

Bismarck, Tirpitz, NC, Monarch you can tear big chunks off. NC and Yamato can be citadelled quiet easily if you get the right opportunity. 

Montanas, Yamato/Musashi and GK are damn hard to beat, definitely need help from a cruiser or DD. Their armour is just too tough to beat. I try keep 15km distance to them, because if they want to attempt to brawl you and you try to turn out of the fight, they're going to get 3 citadels. Republique will take good damage from your HE shells.

It's such a weird BB to play, it feels as if you should play it half NC, half Hood. Protecting your sides, but you only have 4 guns up front.

 

If anyone has some good games like the OP,  I'd love to see an upload of the battle report.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
404
[TF_34]
Members
1,141 posts
7,078 battles
1 hour ago, VanillaPepsi said:

If anyone has some good games like the OP,  I'd love to see an upload of the battle report.

If you'll notice the OP did that on a LOSS.

I also notice that the OP set ZERO fires, which means he was shooting AP the entire time. VG's HE is actually quite good and useful against many targets.

I've found that VG does well when top tier, but those tier 7 guns really make themselves felt when facing tier 10s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,596 posts
8,676 battles
On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:00 AM, Gen_Saris said:

If you'll notice the OP did that on a LOSS.

I also notice that the OP set ZERO fires, which means he was shooting AP the entire time. VG's HE is actually quite good and useful against many targets.

I've found that VG does well when top tier, but those tier 7 guns really make themselves felt when facing tier 10s.

Hey

I have not had a top tier game yet.  2 were middle tier, and 3 were bottom tier.  I found the HE to be more consistent in the high tier games, picking another T10 BB to run with, helped out for both of us.  But the AP just wasn't able to get much done.  Overall damage has been very lacking as I mentioned before.  It's more fun than my Kii, but that's not saying a great deal, I wish the guns were at least as punchy as the French BB's.

Addition:  I continue to trey and get this ship to work But I can't make it do damage.  I don't find the guns to do any consistent damage, if they hit at all, she handles very well but overall, I could not recommend this ship to anyone.  A T8 Warspite it's not; not by a long shot.  Wish I had not purchased it at this point.  40K damage is my rough average.

 

Pete

Edited by sasquatch_research

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
70
[SCREW]
Members
136 posts
7,516 battles

You guys that are having problems getting high damage numbers, try changing your targeting priorities. With the Roma and the vanguard, bow on cruisers and even angled ones same tier or higher are not valid target for these ships. 381mm guns won't get through the bow or angled armor. You need a cruiser mindset for them. Play at range and let your plunging fire do the work. I typically nail all bbs for around 8-10k AP salvos this way. Only shoot at cruisers when they are showing a flat broadside or that are lower tier with weak armor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×