You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Moskva vs Kronstadt vs Alaska

38 comments in this topic

Members
251 posts
5,162 battles

Simple question since I already have Musashi and the Kron is leaving free xp how does it compare to the Moskva and the WIP Alaska? If you could rank them in terms of what would be worth the price for my play style as I am a BB main that would greatly help. I've seen mostly positive things from all 3. TIA

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,461 posts
6,804 battles

Only speaking about Moskva and Kronshtadt, since Alaska is still a WiP and who knows what‘ll happen to her, Moskva is probably the better choice. When angled she is extremely durable, but her guns do not behave Battleship like.

Kronshtadt is somewhat the other way around, the armor is not as good but her guns behave closer to those of a Battleship.

[ECCHI]
[ECCHI]
Members
99 posts
6,009 battles

Moskva plays circles around Kronstadt. Deeply underwhelmed by Kronstadt and doubt I'll ever use it again; but every day I fall more in love with Moskva.

• Cool 2

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,438 posts
4,041 battles

moskva will play more like musashi than kronstadt. kronstadt doesnt have any where near the armor levels of Moskva, and certainly cant go bow in.

As far as Alaska, currently i think its decent at the moment, but testing for this round ends soon, afterwards dev blog will say whats happening.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,929 posts
5,426 battles

My Kronstadt has been in mothballs almost since I got it.   I’m going to circle back around and give it another chance at some point... but my initial experiences were not good.

• Cool 1

[RMRGD]
Members
237 posts
17,338 battles

At first I did not like Kronstadt and will agree with most users here.    However a trick is to get people to shoot your sides so open up your angle a bit more.    Don't take bow shots.   I can tank 2million+ potential easily in a game.   The dispersion sometimes kills me.   But you want ships that are angled away NOT full broadside when using AP.  You need that angle and room for the shells to arm.     The one that I have the most issues with is DDs.     Yes you can get a few good HE hits on them but its only going to be 1-2 shells.  The radar is great at scaring them away.   But you wont be doing tons of dmg to them. 

I love the Kronstadt in that she is a rare ship you don't see often.   

[XBRTC]
Members
1,656 posts
7,914 battles
3 hours ago, deresistance said:

I love the Kronstadt in that she is a rare ship you don't see often.   

According to WG she's far too common and is taking over every single battle.

• Funny 4

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,183 battles
6 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

My Kronstadt has been in mothballs almost since I got it.   I’m going to circle back around and give it another chance at some point... but my initial experiences were not good.

It doesn't reward good aim that's why I mothballed mine. That dispersion is just too wonky for a cruiser for my taste.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,656 posts
7,914 battles
36 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

It doesn't reward good aim that's why I mothballed mine. That dispersion is just too wonky for a cruiser for my taste.

I absolutely love mine.

image.thumb.png.23739de07f548b968ba33c377d5f2eee.png

image.thumb.png.5fc3afd9fc18b4cdc35d1e068dbafdc0.png

image.thumb.png.0b9484693f83de6011dc1c146c80117c.png

[PVE]
Members
6,446 posts
11,447 battles
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:55 AM, crazyferret23777 said:

Simple question since I already have Musashi and the Kron is leaving free xp how does it compare to the Moskva and the WIP Alaska? If you could rank them in terms of what would be worth the price for my play style as I am a BB main that would greatly help. I've seen mostly positive things from all 3. TIA

Can't comment on Alaska as it isn't ready and haven't played it. Have Moskva and Kronshtadt however. Moskva is vastly superior. Kronshtadt was a waste of 750K FXP. The guns are so frustrating. Bad accuracy and overpens galore. Moskva guns are very accurate and hit hard consistently. 

[XBRTC]
Members
1,656 posts
7,914 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Can't comment on Alaska as it isn't ready and haven't played it. Have Moskva and Kronshtadt however. Moskva is vastly superior. Kronshtadt was a waste of 750K FXP. The guns are so frustrating. Bad accuracy and overpens galore. Moskva guns are very accurate and hit hard consistently. 

The overpen thing... yes, you get them, but I'm not sure that you get as many of them as you think you get. You remember them more, because you feel like that hit should have been a citadel and not an overpen, but I really don't think that the overpens (or the dispersion) are nearly so bad as people believe. 

(this is from the game I posted just above)

image.png.bc7873f046c7fad997a9e5f3854ce4a1.png

[PVE]
Members
6,446 posts
11,447 battles
18 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

The overpen thing... yes, you get them, but I'm not sure that you get as many of them as you think you get. You remember them more, because you feel like that hit should have been a citadel and not an overpen, but I really don't think that the overpens (or the dispersion) are nearly so bad as people believe. 

(this is from the game I posted just above)

image.png.bc7873f046c7fad997a9e5f3854ce4a1.png

No I get them a LOT. Way more than regular ones. It's as bad or worse than Roma. And of course this is assuming you actually hit something which is another issue. LOL.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,656 posts
7,914 battles
14 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

No I get them a LOT. Way more than regular ones. It's as bad or worse than Roma. And of course this is assuming you actually hit something which is another issue. LOL.

Dude. You have a 40% hit rate with Kronshtadt. And that's within 1-2% of most of your other cruisers. Granted, that's only in co-op, so you'd have a lower hit percentage in randoms against other players. If we make some comparisons between the ships that you've played in both, though, we see that you're averaging about 55% of your co-op hit rate in the same ship in random.

[PVE]
Members
6,446 posts
11,447 battles
28 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Dude. You have a 40% hit rate with Kronshtadt. And that's within 1-2% of most of your other cruisers. Granted, that's only in co-op, so you'd have a lower hit percentage in randoms against other players. If we make some comparisons between the ships that you've played in both, though, we see that you're averaging about 55% of your co-op hit rate in the same ship in random.

39% MBHR actually with a pretty low damage avg. With a 39% MBHR I ought to average a lot more damage than I do. And FWIW the % is only that high as I gave up trying to hit anything beyond say 10km and just closed in and did what I could before getting schmucked.

Haven't played any Cruiser higher than T6 in PVP and most of those were Cleveland so forgive me for having a low PVP %. :Smile_smile:

• Boring 1

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,058 posts
4,743 battles
4 hours ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

According to WG she's far too common and is taking over every single battle.

she is everywhere,90% of the playerbase have her,i don't have her.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,656 posts
7,914 battles
5 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

39% MBHR actually with a pretty low damage avg. With a 39% MBHR I ought to average a lot more damage than I do. And FWIW the % is only that high as I gave up trying to hit anything beyond say 10km and just closed in and did what I could before getting schmucked.

Haven't played any Cruiser higher than T6 in PVP and most of those were Cleveland so forgive me for having a low PVP %. :Smile_smile:

I don't care what the actual percentage is, it's just a comparison to the same ship in co-op. It's likely to hold true for other ships as well, allowing at least an educated guess.

re: hitting things and doing damage to them... the battle I just played in her, the one above? 90% of that was from 15k+. A little of the izumo was from <10, but not a lot, and that was just self-defense. At 12-15, Kronshtadt will murder just about anything. At 15-16, she can-and will-still citadel most BBs.

[PVE]
Members
6,446 posts
11,447 battles
54 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

I don't care what the actual percentage is, it's just a comparison to the same ship in co-op. It's likely to hold true for other ships as well, allowing at least an educated guess.

re: hitting things and doing damage to them... the battle I just played in her, the one above? 90% of that was from 15k+. A little of the izumo was from <10, but not a lot, and that was just self-defense. At 12-15, Kronshtadt will murder just about anything. At 15-16, she can-and will-still citadel most BBs.

The game you posted above is more than double your average in it. Any body can have a good game with a ship. Doesn't make it good. 

In the end if you like it that's great. I don't and think it is a bad ship. YMMV.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,656 posts
7,914 battles
1 minute ago, AdmiralThunder said:

The game you posted above is more than double your average in it. Any body can have a good game with a ship. Doesn't make it good. 

In the end if you like it that's great. I don't and think it is a bad ship. YMMV.

Yeah, it is more than double... but most of the ones that are dragging the average down were near the beginning, back before I really figured out what I was doing with it.

[PVE]
Members
6,446 posts
11,447 battles
2 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Yeah, it is more than double... but most of the ones that are dragging the average down were near the beginning, back before I really figured out what I was doing with it.

Took me a while to figure out how best to play it as well = leave it in port!!! :Smile_veryhappy:

• Funny 2

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,366 battles
On 11/22/2018 at 4:55 AM, crazyferret23777 said:

You want a comparison between Moskva and Kronshtadt and an unreleased Alaska? 

Between Moskva and Kronshtadt there is no comparison other than both being cruisers, having 11.7km radar and a different health pool. 

Kronshtadt is completely covered in 25mm armor everywhere except the superstructure, armor belt, turrets and barbets. That means Kronshtadt is extremely vulnerable to most BBs or high RoF HE spammer she meets. Not to mention Kronshtadt has comparable AA to a t6 BB at t9.

What sets (from show cases) Alaska apart is that unlike Kronshtadt is that Alaska gets usn CA plating, usn AP angles with improved deck values: 38mm vs 25. On the other hand, Kronshtadt gets +500mm of armor pen at 15km whereas Alaska and Moskva got nowhere near that.

Kronshtadt's strength is the penetration of her guns balanced by 25mm plating. 

Alaska's strength is her plating balanced by her lack of penetration and shell velocity.

Moskva really can't compare because: 

1) Moskva is tier10, and outfitted as such

2) uses more traditional heavy cruiser armament [220mm.] 

3) has less penetration but higher dpm than Alaska or Kronshtadt

4] has more range

5] Moskva has more plating: 50mm lower bow and full midships.

6] Moskva only has a low 160mm armor belt.

Personally I'm holding out on Alaska because survivability grossly outweighs  ~520mm of penetration any day of the week. That and the fact Alaska was not only completed, but served in full capacity in the WW2. Alaska has a story, even if it was only shooting down manned missiles and blowing up shore batteries or occupying and establishing South Korea.

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,366 battles
51 minutes ago, whyme69 said:

Alaska will only be crap to meh at best.

That depends solely on your preference and Playstyle. There is a reason this game has veriety: USN BBs and Cruisers aren't for everybody.

[CMFRT]
Modder, In AlfaTesters
736 posts
1,895 battles
15 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

That depends solely on your preference and Playstyle. There is a reason this game has veriety: USN BBs and Cruisers aren't for everybody.

God Im hoping Wg doesnt mess up Alaska, because it looks pretty much perfect right now... but Ive read a rumor that the CCs dont like the dispersion or penetration of her guns... and that worries me... because thye look fantastic right now.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,366 battles
1 minute ago, Avalon304 said:

God Im hoping Wg doesnt mess up Alaska, because it looks pretty much perfect right now... but Ive read a rumor that the CCs dont like the dispersion or penetration of her guns... and that worries me... because thye look fantastic right now.

I was listening to Notser's stream while discussing Alaska; said some people were trying to get her moved to tier ten. From what I've seen, she's been given a usn graf spee dispersion with slightly reduced oen from her previous iteration. However, ive noticed what felt like a reduced pen on my Des Moines today. Flamu has a recent video on her.

I pray to god WG doesn't make Alaska t10. The 12 gun versions of Alaska would be a much better choice, and Alaska's dpm and sigma doesn't make her t10 quality.