Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Vanguard a good buy with much improved tier 8 MM?

14 comments in this topic

Members
252 posts
5,181 battles

Tier 8 MM seems to be much better after the update so my rule of not buying any more tier 8 premiums because of it being uptiered mostly to tier X seems to be less an issue. How would people who bought rate her in terms of her AP, HE performance? $55 is a lot to spend bought if she's a good ship and unique it just might be worth the investment. P.S. I love the Warspite!

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,297 posts
7,571 battles

Vanguard is a good buy in any case, if you enjoy BBs. Personally, while I like this ship, I find BB play a bit slow and tedious, but as t8 battleships go, Vanguard uptiers vs t9s and t10s, quite well.

• Cool 1

[MVKS]
Members
161 posts
3,344 battles
24 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Vanguard is a good buy in any case, if you enjoy BBs. Personally, while I like this ship, I find BB play a bit slow and tedious, but as t8 battleships go, Vanguard uptiers vs t9s and t10s, quite well.

Yes a very friendly boat, my DM & Worcester love to see them!

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,297 posts
7,571 battles
2 minutes ago, S7CentNickel said:

Yes a very friendly boat, my DM & Worcester love to see them!

Well I hope to see you in game some time, I'll exchange your t10 HE spam for some citadeling t8 deadly accurate AP :)

[SIDE]
Members
1,324 posts
9,334 battles

I have found little improvement in MM so far, but that might have some reflection on my play hours, which tend to be later.

As for Vanguard, I was expecting mediocrity and instead found a very nice ship instead. I use a mixture of AP and HE(relying on AP alone is a mistake). It maneuvers very well, you can dodge a lot of incoming shells and torps. Never get near brawling range or try to be the team tank, it won't work; stay at medium distance. 

If this playstyle appeals to you, get it. It's very different than most BB's in my opinion, and that's a good thing.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,363 battles
37 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Well I hope to see you in game some time, I'll exchange your t10 HE spam for some citadeling t8 deadly accurate AP :)

DM doesn't care with her 27mm bow and 5.5 second reloading guns that will carve through the 19mm superstructure and 32mm plating all over Vanguard :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,297 posts
7,571 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

DM doesn't care with her 27mm bow and 5.5 second reloading guns that will carve through the 19mm superstructure and 32mm plating all over Vanguard :Smile_trollface:

pftt, Vanguard can use rocks as supplementary armour, excellent concealment to sneak up, waits for DM to show soft broadside, BAM! 

Spoiler

I get deleted by the enemy Yamato in one salvo from 20 km away

More seriously, in the 3 or 4 battles I have fought with Vanguard, all uptiered, she did ok. Of course, I had to play it carefully, but her manouvreability & accuracy/pen gives her a certain advantage over other t8s in the same situation. 

[STAR]
Members
2,736 posts
8,003 battles

Vanguard is a great BB, if you like accurated guns Vanguard is a amazing BB. Even when botton tier you still can do a lot because of the great accuracy. And If l anything the HE is pretty good and you can always fall back to burn ships from range. 

Amazing ship, really worth it.

Edited by Xlap

[CFOA]
Members
6 posts
2,572 battles

I don’t have all that many games in her but so far she’s been my second favourite ship (after hood) for a few reasons. 

1: Vanguard has the best mm for any t8 I have ever played, 70% of the time I’m top tier, 20% I’m in tier 9 and the last 10% is tier 10 matches.

2: her rudder is rediculous 9s is better than some cruisers, I know for certain that you annoy all the BB’s because they just can’t land shots on you

3: her heal is the best for tier 8 bb’s.

4: her AP is good, I mean because I’m almost always top tier, I lol pen almost everything for 10k damage regularly

5: her HE is good and it’s better than monarch so you can set fire to enemy ships like in KGV

6: her AA is decent if I know I’m going to be in a carrier match I feel like Vanguard is the best for the job, her AA is decent and even if you don’t shoot down all the planes you can just as easily dodge out of the way

7: concealment  is good

Cons

1: gun angles are awkward and you need to be basically broadside to use all of them 

2: she takes a lot of HE and fire damage

3: secondaries are meh

4: her citadel is easier to pen than monarch or hood

All around the best way I can describe her is a Hood, with Warspite guns, hood rudder shift and warspites turn circle (kinda). If you liked the Warspite you’ll probably like the Vanguard. 

Members
1,141 posts
7,111 battles

Think of Vanguard as a fat Hood. One tier higher, more armor, slower, and with the same guns... but facing higher tier opponents. 

Top tier she does OK, but those tier 7 guns sure struggle when uptiered, and neither her secondaries or AA are good enough to be worth special mention.

[GUYS]
Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
3,557 battles
1 hour ago, Gen_Saris said:

Think of Vanguard as a fat Hood. One tier higher, more armor, slower, and with the same guns... but facing higher tier opponents. 

Top tier she does OK, but those tier 6 guns sure struggle when uptiered, and neither her secondaries or AA are good enough to be worth special mention.

FTFY

Warspite shares the same guns too.

• Cool 1

Members
1,141 posts
7,111 battles
10 hours ago, TabbyHopkins said:

Warspite shares the same guns too.

Warspite does indeed have those same guns, but they are over powerful at tier 6 and are her defining feature... thus why I say tier 7. 

[STAR]
Members
2,736 posts
8,003 battles
14 hours ago, Gen_Saris said:

Top tier she does OK, but those tier 7 guns sure struggle when uptiered, and neither her secondaries or AA are good enough to be worth special mention.

Actually Hood has better armor than Vanguard. Both the upper belt and deck armor are better, they can bounce even Musashi shells and a lot of cruiser HE, while Vanguard is covered by 32 mm. Also Hoods citadel is lower. 

Vaguard and Hood have the same calliber guns (380mm) but Vanguard is much more accurated, and both the AP and HE are better. vanguard gunnery is much better overall. Secundaries none is worth mentioning. And Vanguard base AA is much better and quite good, but Hood has that OP DF consumable that can delete planes. 

Sign in to follow this