You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Canadian_Reaper

How do you fight the British BB's?

10 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
280 posts
3,479 battles

Hey all

I unlocked the FdG before I stopped playing some time ago, back at it now and having enough fun with the Tirpitz that I'm thinking of finishing off the line.

But- How do the FdG and GK fight the British BB's? 

I haven't seen that many games,where the two match up, but aside from a few it seems to be

The Brits have very accurate long range fire, with a high fire chance, they're as fast if not faster, and have far better concealment, so it's easy to disengage.

The Germans seem to win if the Brit screws up and lets them get close where their secondaries can go to work.

Don't mean this to sound like a whine, -I haven't bought,let alone played the FdG yet,(and honestly I'll probably go down the British BB line at some point) I'm just wondering what the best way to fight the British is, (or any other long range HE spammer I guess)

Most of the games I've seen the top tier German BB's don't seem to do well, yet I know there's a large number of you who do very well in them, so there has to be a way... 

Members
68 posts
8,211 battles

British BBs are vulnerable to HE spam from other ships, especially cruisers. In a German BBs, I've heard that the secondaries are pretty deadly in this regard. Focus fire with your team when you see a British BB.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,962 posts
18,840 battles
22 minutes ago, Der_Eigenvektor said:

British BBs are vulnerable to HE spam from other ships, especially cruisers. In a German BBs, I've heard that the secondaries are pretty deadly in this regard. Focus fire with your team when you see a British BB.

They burn well, problem is they heal lots of it back. I find my ships with IFHE really tear them up and they don't seem to heal much of it back.

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,276 posts
7,571 battles

AP and torps, Brit bbs are happy to burn, because their Repair Party is optimised to deal with that sort of dmg.

[STW-M]
Members
2,329 posts
6,235 battles

Personally, I generally tend to just ignore them or take opportunistic potshots whenever they make a mistake like turning broadside or letting me conduct a drive-by.

Truth be told, a lot of the British BBs are more susceptible to attacks by other classes than from fellow battleships.

For instance, take some of the Conqueror's primary weaknesses:

• very vulnerable to HE spam
  • poor torpedo protection
  • AA gets quite easily disabled

The first two weaknesses are very easily exploited by cruisers and destroyers, and the last one can be taken advantage of quite nicely by carriers.

Yes, Conqueror may be beatable in a bow-on contest only by a Yamato and heal back fire/flooding damage like nothing, and it may have a very hard-to-hit citadel, but its weaknesses are just as great as its strengths. Apart from which, a broadside Conqueror is still going to eat [edited] from another BB's AP salvo, submerged citadel or not.

A kiting British BB should be let go unless it's showing broadside, as it is probably going to win a survivability contest and kiting most likely means that it's taking itself out far away from the main fight around the caps. By letting it go, you can force it to turn around and re-engage, probably to its disadvantage if it was forced to kite in the first place.

Finally, the fact that a lot of its captains sit back at range and spam HE at other battleships means that its damage output is hilariously mismatched with its WR—all that HE-spamming other BBs doesn't translate into cap support or sinking enemy cruisers and destroyers.

TL; DR: Take potshots at it if broadside or if charging one down, otherwise just ignore and focus on more important targets while the other classes finish it off.

• Cool 2

Members
262 posts
1,001 battles

British BB's are vulnerable to plunging fire correct? If I'm at range I usually throw AP on their top decks. When i get in closer I will aim at the bow with AP or switch to HE.

[SPTR]
Members
25,969 posts
11,451 battles

I treat them like any other BBs Im fighting against, but I never pass the opportunity to spam one with HE rounds from my cruisers as I do find it satisfying unless they are sideways to me and close then AP becomes a better alternative.

[MOH]
Members
296 posts
1,454 battles

Kurfurst has a lot easier time dealing with HE spammers than the [current] FdG due to it having more guns.  In addition, a Kurfurst armed with IFHE will melt a British battleship pretty fast since they're covered in 32mm armor.  Once the changes to the FdG go into effect, it'll be able to do the same.

Keep in mind though, all HE flinging battleships are a bane to secondary builds.  The German 150mm mounts are better suited to surviving, but a 419mm armed Lion and a Conqueror will take them out no problem.  Don't be surprised when engaging British battleships that your mounts, especially the 105/128mm ones, start disappearing.  :(

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,867 posts
15,349 battles

A German BB fighting an RN BB that isn't stupid and won't get into brawls with you?  Either engage with main battery and keep at it, or disengage and "Go Dark" and reposition.  It's like a German BB getting into a gunfight with an IJN, USN BB that almost all of them prefer to keep at range, and will be better at it than your German BB.

FDG has to be careful about it like Tirpitz, Bismarck because she has 8 rifles also.  They're just not reliable.  GK however has 12 rifles.  Not the most accurate, but 12 dice rolls > 8, and she will get lucky sometimes.  Still, I'd prefer not to trade shots in GK with Conqueror at 15km+ if at all possible, unless I got help.  Conqueror will win that fight if all things are equal.

Members
262 posts
1,001 battles

At long range (plunging fire) I use AP. Anything where the arcs are flatter i will spam HE on them.