Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Norsehound

I'll say it, I'm gonna miss subs.

22 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
156 posts
3,886 battles

Updated the game and saw every submarine disappear from the port. I'm sad to see them go.

Say what you will about Submarines but gameplay was new with them, and for my part I found it more fun and engaging than even my best DD games. I can see why they'd be overpowered, but I also know why they wouldn't be. It was fun running the Killer Whale to the last, really hope we can see some z-axis submarine attacks in the near future. WoWS is gonna feel a little less interesting without the promise of this class in the game.

Anyone else going to miss subs? I feel we needed that PvP test to really give them the run they needed to prove their worth or their unsuitability for the game. Was/Am looking forward to trying them out in this mode.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 2

Members
471 posts
6,201 battles

I'm not going to miss them at all.  I played them quite a bit on PTS and never did enjoy them to the point that even the rewards for playing them on live weren't enough to get me interested.  I attribute that to being an enormous fan of GOOD sub sims where you are really immersed in all the aspects of submarine game-play.  The only thing that I felt this version of subs offered was that they went under water and fired torpedoes.  I completely understand the impossibility of implementing anything approaching even the limited realism WOWS offers to surface ships in a sub, I don't begrudge that but it's just not the kind of sub play that I want to be involved with.  All in all I was rather disappointed with the subs.  For those who enjoyed them, good on ya, but I for one am glad to see them go.

• Cool 4

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,964 posts
18,842 battles

I actually didn't find them interesting enough to play for fun, only played to get the reward and to farm the stars. Nothing interesting about them, nothing really terrible about them either, just kind of felt "meh" about them. If they added them to the normal game, I wouldn't bother with them one bit unless I needed a submarine for a mission. In other words the same reason many players keep a carrier handy. They don't care for CV play but want one around in case they need to kill planes to get rewards. …

• Cool 4

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,882 posts
11,536 battles

The subs were a good test bed for them, wait and see, we will have a line of them at some stage

Edited by CriMiNaL__

Beta Testers
156 posts
3,886 battles
34 minutes ago, Malamute_Kid said:

I'm not going to miss them at all.  I played them quite a bit on PTS and never did enjoy them to the point that even the rewards for playing them on live weren't enough to get me interested.  I attribute that to being an enormous fan of GOOD sub sims where you are really immersed in all the aspects of submarine game-play.  The only thing that I felt this version of subs offered was that they went under water and fired torpedoes.  I completely understand the impossibility of implementing anything approaching even the limited realism WOWS offers to surface ships in a sub, I don't begrudge that but it's just not the kind of sub play that I want to be involved with.  All in all I was rather disappointed with the subs.  For those who enjoyed them, good on ya, but I for one am glad to see them go.

FWIW, I appreciate the arcadey approach to Submarines. I've tried some sub sims in the distant past, but always got tripped up on the nuance involved in running them properly. I like the... thoughtlessness and simplicity presented in the WoWS model.

[PVE]
Members
65 posts

The subs got out-maneuvered by DDs so much.

The mode only allowed us to play subs against existing units. I think it will be a different story when we get to play our favorite class against them.

I think good DD players will kill subs easily in the current state.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,185 posts
4,874 battles

I have mixed feelings. The fact that the subs were tied in to the RN missions and getting seven stars enabled you to bypass what some people found pretty arduous cash and XP grinds made playing them stressful, rather than the fun experiment they should have been.  It irked me that we were being corraled into playing this mode.

On the other hand, when things worked well and I got good teams (especially for hard mode), the sub experience was new and refreshing, and I wouldn't mind having another crack at it. My last hurrah was with two good teams that five-starred it. That was a good note to go out on.

I will be very interested to see exactly what tools we are given as surface-ship drivers to fight them.

Members
1,109 posts

I still think these "submarines" are just quirky mutant DD's with partial 3-Axis mobility as a stealth gimmick, merely branded and packaged as something they're not.

Marketing genius if ever there was.

• Cool 3

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,964 posts
18,842 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I have mixed feelings. The fact that the subs were tied in to the RN missions and getting seven stars enabled you to bypass what some people found pretty arduous cash and XP grinds made playing them stressful, rather than the fun experiment they should have been.  It irked me that we were being corraled into playing this mode.

I actually found the best OP for farming stars was Dynamo because it is fairly easy, you can fly signals, and best of all, there were earnable achievements associated with it. It clicked all the boxes for the UK event and just took rounding up 5 or 6 other players in a division and you knocked out most of those directives out in a couple of hours. I only had to clean up the stray missions like getting citadel hits , fires or flooding ribbons in normal co-op play.

Got to agree about being corralled into playing it by the directives. After getting a five star win thought I was done with the subs but quickly realized I needed stars to complete missions. Wasn't smart enough at first to gather up the troops and play a different OP, just didn't occur to me so ended up playing quite a few more submarine missions where I just had a miserable time. Luckily for me, I got an in game PM from a player about divisioning up to farm Dynamo and realizing what a brilliant idea it was, stuck with that track the rest of the time. I had far more fun, earned much more xp and credits, and finished up with a five star win each and every time. Flying signal flags made huge differences in earnings.

[XG]
Members
132 posts
2,982 battles
2 hours ago, Seraphil said:

I got a kick out of using the Gerfalcon's butt torpedoes.

I'm waiting for an ARP I-401. Iona has a nicer butt.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[ARGSY]
Members
7,185 posts
4,874 battles
59 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

just took rounding up 5 or 6 other players in a division

I'm too likely to be called away to something else to want to div up with others. It would suck to start the battle and be called in to work by some emergency. Otherwise I would quite agree with you.

That was the other bad thing about subs - no flags.

I quite like the current PvP Halloween event - groovy ships, no teamkilling, can mount flags, and playing against humans instead of bots that even without the Halloween overlay have magic torpedo-sensing abilities! Only downside of this mode is you can't choose the camo, but I can live with that.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[A_51]
Members
382 posts
14,039 battles
6 hours ago, So_lt_Goes said:

I still think these "submarines" are just quirky mutant DD's with partial 3-Axis mobility as a stealth gimmick, merely branded and packaged as something they're not.

Marketing genius if ever there was.

I agree.  Personally, I hope they are never introduced into regular game play, but I am sure financial considerations will dictate otherwise.

• Cool 1

[FGNE]
Members
396 posts
2,546 battles

Yeah, I'm going to miss them, and hopefully they'll comeback in some way.

[LEGIT]
Members
485 posts
6,785 battles

I only agree to bring subs into scenarios AND ONLY SCENARIOS. Subs are a balance breaker, and thus they dont have a place in Random and Ranked

• Cool 2

Members
1,175 posts
3,153 battles

This game has enough balance problems as is. Subs add literally another dimension. I'm fine with them being linked to seasonal operations throughout the year but i would prefer to not have them in randoms. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this