You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
iDuckman

Dang it, WG. You deleted 1750 replays! - and log files - AGAIN!

45 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
6,898 posts
2,705 battles

Couldn't you at least have moved them to the Recycle bin?

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
10,832 posts
7,957 battles
Just now, iDuckman said:

Couldn't you at least have moved them to the Recycle bin?

I have folders for each patch. If I get a game I want to save, i put the screenshots and replay in that folder. That way, if a backwards compatible replay viewer is ever made, I can know which patch it fits in. I also keep event pics, notes and that kind of stuff in those folders.

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
6,898 posts
2,705 battles

Yeah, I know.  I intended to save them off but forgot. (I did keep some important ones.)  Who knew they would take the slash and burn approach?

This is especially galling as there are some Halloween bugs I could have sent replays to demonstrate.

If you're truly OCD, save the client along with the replays.

[PVE]
Members
10,832 posts
7,957 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

Yeah, I know.  I intended to save them off but forgot. (I did keep some important ones.)  Who knew they would take the slash and burn approach?

This is especially galling as there are some Halloween bugs I could have sent replays to demonstrate.

If you're truly OCD, save the client along with the replays.

I haven't done that, but if someone has, I would love to have the older versions for replays. Of course a replay viewer that is backwards compatible would be best, but I can see why that is low on the totem pole as it would be a LOT of work to put together.

[LOU1]
Members
3,169 posts
8,432 battles

Odd that they didn't go to the Recycle bin, that is a shame.  Fortunately, I copied mine to my Replay backup folder last night when I read about the default 30 replays.  

[NAM-1]
Members
18 posts
8,144 battles

I lost over 3500 replays!!  GONE.    Many I had changed names for future YouTube videos.

[NMKJT]
Members
1,765 posts
5,163 battles

Missed the part about more than 30 replays being deleted in the notes, so in the end I lost some replays too. But due to a recent reinstall of the client only about 50-80 of them.

Then I set the max replay number to 3,000. If I forget then, welp!

[NAM-1]
Members
18 posts
8,144 battles

I've searched my hard drive...NOPE.  WG didn't back up my replays to some other folder.....LITERALLY....wth.   Who does that?  Who deletes USER FILES without any warning!   I'm sorry...There's NO WAY a player could assume that tiny little blurb about 30 replays was going to mean EVERY REPLAY already there would be deleted and you'd start over from scratch.    Who ever built that feature and wrote those notes couldn't have POSSIBLY have tested that....HOW?!?!?   And if they did test it, watched 3000 replays just go POOF, then failing to make that a BIG DEAL in the notes was a complete FAIL.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,898 posts
2,705 battles

Now that I've discovered some of the wonderful data mining that can be done with MxStat and replay files, I'm even more angry about this. 

WG, you really screwed the pooch on this one!  @Sub_Octavian

bad.png.03392e0719eb5c44b1389d14f645cf57.png

[MHG]
Members
60 posts
13,964 battles

So what precise file/entry needs to be there?  I didn't find the maxReplaysToSave in the preferences.xml file, and adding the key was unsuccessful.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,898 posts
2,705 battles

I have no idea.  WG said that we'd be able to adjust the number saved, but we haven't seen a 'How To', have we?  (MxStat apparently can adjust it, but I'm not familiar with it.)

Still, that's not what this is about.  It's what WG do/did with the discarded replays.

@Pigeon_of_War

• Cool 1

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
359 posts
5,285 battles

I forgot to back up all my replays and screenshots when I had to do a reinstall a while back, so I didn't really lose much from the update.  Still, would have been nice if Wargaming could have had it move them to a backup folder during the update just in case people forgot.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,898 posts
2,705 battles

Excellent.  Thanks.  They didn't perchance leave the .log files, did they?

[WOLF3]
Members
6,898 posts
2,705 battles
4 minutes ago, Deno said:

I forgot to back up all my replays and screenshots when I had to do a reinstall a while back,

Really?  Have you checked?  I did a re-install a couple months ago to get rid of WGC and it left my replays folder well enough alone.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,650 posts
7,914 battles
4 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Anything that you've already processed with MX is there, still. It's just that the replays themselves are purged, so you can't go back to re-process if there's a new feature that can be dug up.

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
359 posts
5,285 battles
21 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Really?  Have you checked?  I did a re-install a couple months ago to get rid of WGC and it left my replays folder well enough alone.

Everything was wiped.  There wasn't even a game folder left after it uninstalled.  I lost my screenshots going all the way back to the beta test unfortunately.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,898 posts
2,705 battles
13 hours ago, iDuckman said:

No, they didn't.  ALL log files, past 3, were wiped. I don't know what will happen now that I have reset the replay save count.

[ERN]
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,153 posts
4,400 battles

well that a huge bummer, I just realize I lost all of my Alpha and beta screenshots....

[WOLF3]
Members
6,898 posts
2,705 battles

Really?  They cleaned out the screenshot folder too??  (I use Lightshot instead.)

[XBRTC]
Members
1,650 posts
7,914 battles
6 hours ago, iDuckman said:

No, they didn't.  ALL log files, past 3, were wiped. I don't know what will happen now that I have reset the replay save count.

Easy fix for you:

image.thumb.png.dacd4aca9c6bc3de5e767afc0fcd299f.png

[LOU1]
Members
3,169 posts
8,432 battles

Outside of mxstat mining, how were the replays useful?  Unless you kept a copy of the previous patches, you can't run older replays as far as I know.

[SALVO]
Alpha Tester
308 posts
12,728 battles

Yup, WOWP used to do that too.   I would have the 'delete replays older than 30 days' turned OFF.   They would turn it BACK ON with every patch, and delete all the replays.  

Insane to have a checkbox, and then reset it retroactively with each patch.   The only way to turn it back on, is from inside the client......AFTER its already deleted all the replays.