You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KaptainKaybe

Congrats Wargaming, this whole plague of battleships spamming HE just got a hell of a lot worse

201 comments in this topic

[DRACS]
Members
3,620 posts

As above. Unless heavily screened by friendly DDs and cruisers, battleships may resort to always firing HE if there's even a sliver of a doubt that a DD will be nearby. No BB can survive waiting 30 seconds when being rushed by a destroyer from it's concealment range.

I am respeccing all my non secondary spec battleship captains to use Expert Loader. The way I see it, it's now mandatory.

LATER EDIT:  Come to think of it, the HE alpha from BBs is so low, and the chances for no damage module damage is fairly high, so in the end, you might still do more damage on average with AP overpens than with HE. Fun times.

Edited by KaptainKaybe
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 12

[S-N-D]
Members
1,689 posts
5,767 battles

Excellent. Now CAs have some survivability. Carry on, working as intended.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[FTH]
[FTH]
Members
310 posts
11,642 battles

For maximum salt...go ahead and throw IFHE on the 457 Conq and cit cruisers with HE at close range when possible, lol.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 5

[O_O]
Members
849 posts
6,707 battles

all most all my BBs are geared up with secondaries to keep them DDs at bay.  when in MO...radar is a plus. Only a few are geared with Manual Secondaries.  mostly my German BB monsters.  dealing with single DDs have not been a problem...however...multiple DDs at the same time is challenging...thats were your driving skill come to play. ^_^  but if you in something like the Yamato or Musashi...with a big aaasss in to move around...most of the time have to take that shots. sighs.  

Members
1,701 posts
5,144 battles
35 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

I am respeccing all my non secondary spec battleship captains to use Expert Loader. The way I see it, it's now mandatory.

Well, honestly, it always should have been.  No other type of ship benefits from it more or would find it more useful. This change now forces BB players to think about their ammo choices, which really, they should have been doing already. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
  • Cool 6
  • Bad 4

[INTEL]
Members
8,838 posts
26,332 battles
45 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

As above. Unless heavily screened by friendly DDs and cruisers, battleships may resort to always firing HE if there's even a sliver of a doubt that a DD will be nearby. No BB can survive waiting 30 seconds when being rushed by a destroyer from it's concealment range.

I, on the other hand, am simply going to present stern to DDs attempting to yolo me. Happy to let any highly optimistic DD driver attempt to do that. Outside of the low tiers there's nothing I enjoy more than hunting DDs in a BB, except burning a CV.

Much cheaper than respec'ing my captains. 

Really, this is overreacting. Only low tier BBs are vulnerable to that. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,543 posts
9,589 battles
26 minutes ago, Shinnidan said:

all most all my BBs are geared up with secondaries to keep them DDs at bay.  when in MO...radar is a plus. Only a few are geared with Manual Secondaries.  mostly my German BB monsters.  dealing with single DDs have not been a problem...however...multiple DDs at the same time is challenging...thats were your driving skill come to play. ^_^  but if you in something like the Yamato or Musashi...with a big aaasss in to move around...most of the time have to take that shots. sighs.  

Yeah gearing BBs for Secondaries makes good sense since not only does it help vs surface ships, but also boosts your AA to aid you agInst aircraft as well. Have done that since the beginning of my time in WOWs and has always made me feel at least a little better protected / well armed.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
7,338 posts
7,771 battles
53 minutes ago, Purg473 said:

For maximum salt...go ahead and throw IFHE on the 457 Conq and cit cruisers with HE at close range when possible, lol.

...I am so doing this.

I shall farm Thanksgiving Rage!

• Funny 2

[O_O]
Members
849 posts
6,707 battles
8 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah gearing BBs for Secondaries makes good sense since not only does it help vs surface ships, but also boosts your AA to aid you agInst aircraft as well. Have done that since the beginning of my time in WOWs and has always made me feel at least a little better protected / well armed.

only just been adding the Manual Secondaries to my ship...but hell it does make a big diff...especially with BBs with bad [edited]secondaries.  i hear you about make you feel a little be more protected.  :cap_rambo:it takes my mind off of one worry.  

However, i'm debating if i should have manual seconds or manual AA to my Musashi.  in most cases where i die is by air attacks from bombers and torps.  i have no choice but to flood out or burn.  

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
3,465 posts
1 hour ago, _Caliph_ said:

Excellent. Now CAs have some survivability. Carry on, working as intended.

Says the guy whose favored ship type rarely has to change ammo and has a quick reload when it does...

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,882 posts
11,536 battles

WG loves to throw a spanner into the works and forces the meta change up, give it a week and see how it is then, I am thinking this might be the time to bring the assashio out of dry dock.

• Cool 1

[DRACS]
Members
3,620 posts
16 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

[hidden]

First off, if you're playing a BB and you're staying far back instead of supporting your DDs and cruisers that are trying to cap, you're playing it very very wrong. You know, like a moron.

But this change won't affect BBs that are being heavily screened. I'm referring to those situations where BBs are caught alone against a DD because their team either died or abandoned them (the latter being extremely common when you're playing one of the the USN 21 knot standards). Previously, DDs still needed to be careful trying to yolo rush a battleship because there was a *small* chance they could get blapped by full pens. Now, there's no risk at all. Being a DD main at high tiers myself (I rarely play BBs past tier 8, honestly ... too sluggish), even I consider this change a poor one. If I'm a DD and I'm spotted up close by a prepared battleship, I *should* expect to be punished heavily. Not rush him head on knowing that not only will he exclusively overpen me, but his poor dispersion would only land half his shells at most on me anyway.

So again, this change means more battleships just continuously slinging HE non stop to 'play it safe'. It's a very bad direction to go in. If they felt DDs were spotted too easily, they needed to address things like radar that robbed them of their concealment advantage, not neuter battleships. *Especially* given we already know for a fact that they plan on nerfing radar in the future. And if that happens and these BB AP shell changes stay this way, many seasoned players who know better will just stop playing battleships entirely. Hell, on top of that, they are ALSO getting a concealment nerf soon too ... although that's totally warranted.

• Cool 3

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,570 posts
12,258 battles

Breaking news....

Conquer AP is better than HE on broadside target....

With very few exceptions AP will always do better damage.

If your receiving HE fire, you must be angled and their AP will bounce...

Members
727 posts

It's working as intended.

Far too long all the nooBB's have had the luxury of never having to switch ammo types. They never use Expert Loader either. Now they finally have to anticipate which ammo types to load just like every other class has to. It's time to "Re-spec" your captains.

Whats that? "Battleships have a 20-30 second reload!" you say? That's what Expert Loader, a proper destroyer screen, staying at a proper range, avoiding confined areas, Not YOLOing into the cap, pushing your luck, teamwork, common-sense, ASDW HAX, not believing you a ARE the wrath of God, and clairvoyance is for. :)

The previous way AP worked was absolutely devastating to DD's. A destroyers prime role is to kill battleships, and the AP pen+overpen glitch prevented that whole class from doing it's job properly. YES, if you get within 8kms of a DD and your DD screen has failed, you SHOULD be punished for your arrogance and failure to watch the mini-map and position accordingly.

The inherent problem here is that BB mains believe that battleships should be able to engage and decimate every other ship class with impunity. However they also believe that every other class of ship should not be able to engage a battleship. The game was unbalanced previously. Wargaming fixed this issue for a reason. Mostly because of 2 years of outrage on these forums. Most of you BB mains are hypocrites if you think that you should be able to spank anything, but absolutely nothing is allowed to spank you.

WoW's is "Rock, Paper, Scissors". Until recently, the game was just " Paper, Paper, Scissors"...

"The Rock" is back baby! Just like in OBT. If you get within 8kms of my DD I might rush you, torp you, then watch your wreck sink. You or your team made a mistake that brought you to this point. WoWs is not to blame. You are. Deal with it.

Edited by ElectroVeeDub
  • Cool 5
  • Bad 2

[USFTW]
Members
196 posts
1,997 battles

Hopefully this will lead to an increase in average BB skill, as all the ones who yoloed DDs and used ap glitch will die.:Smile_trollface::Smile_popcorn:

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,536 posts
3,588 battles

Don't worry, the're looking into buffing secondaries to make them more useful (mainly to BBs, but possibly CAs too).

If that means improved base accuracy and range on top of upgrading ManSec to work like ManAA, then it'll be worth any AP loss. They're not about to leave the biggest moneymakers (they themselves admitted it as much) defenseless for long.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
3,465 posts
15 minutes ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

It's working as intended.

Far too long all the nooBB's have had the luxury of never having to switch ammo types.

As opposed to DDs and spamboat-style cruisers, who were constantly having to switch out of HE ammo...

Oh wait.

As for the rest, RPS is garbage for designing any game that isn't actual rock-paper-scissors, and anyone who tells you that one type's "role" is to kill another type of ship... is full of it. 

And anyone who tells you that the way to deal with anything in an MMO-like game is to "rely on your teammates" is living in a fantasy world of where other players are actually reliable and helpful. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 2

Members
727 posts
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

As opposed to DDs and spamboat-style cruisers, who were constantly having to switch out of HE ammo...

Oh wait.

Tell that to a Soviet or German DD player and they'll roll their eyes at you. You obviously don't know destroyers...

Yes... destroyers and cruisers frequently switch ammo types depending on the range and angle of their target contrary to popular belief. Especially in T10, ranked, and clan wars.

• Cool 1

[LEGIT]
Members
1,378 posts
21,922 battles

I don't know.  Before this BB AP nerf I seem to remember hitting DD's for zero damage with AP, as well as getting the bow to stern ding dong hit.

I'll miss the dingaling  but I think I'll like getting some damage for every hit now.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
3,465 posts
9 minutes ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

Tell that to a Soviet or German DD player and they'll roll their eyes at you. You obviously don't know destroyers...

Yes... destroyers and cruisers frequently switch ammo types depending on the range and angle of their target contrary to popular belief. Especially in T10, ranked, and clan wars.

Cool.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a DD switching ammo types. 

Personally, I've been mauling enemy ships with Jervis HE just fine recently, but if it helps you maintain your double-standard on ammo switching, go right on telling yourself what I must know and not know.  :Smile_smile:

• Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
10,843 posts
7,979 battles
5 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Cool.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a DD switching ammo types. 

Personally, I've been mauling enemy ships with Jervis HE just fine recently, but if it helps you maintain your double-standard on ammo switching, go right on telling yourself what I must know and not know.  :Smile_smile:

I suck at DDs, but I try to remember to switch to AP in a DD when some CL/CA gives me a broadside. Otherwise, I use HE.