You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
EyE_dYe_QuIck

Wg contributing to the delinquency of youngsters

13 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,315 posts
9,621 battles

Different kind of loot boxes than we have. Ours have something in them that has a sales value of at least what we pay for them the equivalent of green, blue, purple items. The games they are talking about are selling loot boxes than can have items of only grey/junk quality.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,787 posts
5,374 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

Different kind of loot boxes than we have. Ours have something in them that has a sales value of at least what we pay for them the equivalent of green, blue, purple items. The games they are talking about are selling loot boxes than can have items of only grey/junk quality.

I do agree I have always gotten my money worth from WG boxes 

[WOLF7]
Members
10,359 posts

Do young people play games? Are they unduly influenced by them? Duh.....

I'm rather ambivalent about making the industry police itself, it should go to the parents, but that seemingly doesn't happen as often as you'd hope. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
10,843 posts
7,979 battles
19 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

https://news.sky.com/story/video-game-loot-boxes-blamed-for-rise-in-young-problem-gamblers-11559402

Im not young so can i blame WG for my "gambling" too.  otherwise ill attribute my loot box buying to my gambling proclivity   .

It is not just lootboxes, but many forms of gambling that the study noted.

https://news.sky.com/story/children-with-gambling-problems-quadruple-in-two-years-11559190

The audit, reported in the Daily Mail, said the youngsters stake an average of £16 per week on fruit machines, bingo, betting shops and online - all of which are all illegal for under-18s.

From what I could google, the UK has ~7.4M children between 10-19, so you are talking about 1% or less of the children cited in the article that have gambling problems.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/281174/uk-population-by-age/

7 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I agree. You do tend to get the value of the money spent out of WoWs loot boxes.

[RKLES]
Members
7,543 posts
9,589 battles
1 minute ago, Lonewolfpj said:

All games seem to do something like this now. And they are marking a killing doing it. 

WOT Blitz does loot crates in December that can be obtained using various currencies, including a few of the in game currencies. The thing is though and may have been Requirement for Wargaming from Apple is the rewards are listed for the containers and the percentage chances clearly listed on the chances of getting the various possibilities each time you open a crate. So not like you are not warned before spending even in game currency on them.

I have burned Free XP on those crates as well as credits, but never the gold. Results were worth it by the end of it, although usually depleted by free XP and credit reserves getting no some of the decent items and tanks, but still worth it since I have one of the most sought after premium tanks to earn those currencies back lol. ( The good Premium tank is IS-3 Defender and was earned from its original tank event for free and garrenteed manner, so I am basically well insured for any in game currency losses as long as it’s a currency my tank can earn back)

So if Wargaming does Loot crates probably good idea to have the chances of getting each item listed in case legal reasons from international laws ever come up into question. Since if a customer knows what the risks vs rewards are it’s not exactly like they were not informed.

[RKLES]
Members
7,543 posts
9,589 battles
3 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Do young people play games? Are they unduly influenced by them? Duh.....

I'm rather ambivalent about making the industry police itself, it should go to the parents, but that seemingly doesn't happen as often as you'd hope. 

Yes parents or other authority  figures the young people may have in their life including even older siblings, other relatives, or friends  that can say look you know it’s risky and only have a small chance of getting this right? If you want something from the game why not pay the money and get this vehicle that you wanted?

Was playing tanks with a cousin of mine who is in early teens and he was asking what Premium tanks were good. And I told him the ups and downs and steered him away from some I knew would be complete disasters for his playstyle. Some of those tanks I also felt were potentially swindling job by Wargaming, so my Cousin got something of value he enjoyed using and worked well for him. Without me he might have gotten a little cheated, and I did feel responsible for him since I was the one that brought him into the game as well.

Members
1,544 posts
506 battles

I play poker at Foxwoods every Saturday and Sunday.... and have NEVER bought a loot crate....so I don't think its a big deal and it does not contribute to delinquency... Bad parenting on the other hand....

[NMKJT]
Members
2,888 posts
58 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Not anymore they don't. They have been nerfed too. 

[BRZKR]
[BRZKR]
Members
432 posts

This isn't really gambling(at least in WoWS). Gambling is usually when you give something and there is a chance of that "something" will get you nothing. On the other hand, whenever you get a loot box in WoWS, you will always get something out of it(although it varies with value).

Edited by Leopard_IX