You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

Twilight Mode - Quick Guide

16 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
5,109 posts
8,510 battles

Battle: 7 vs. 7, but with event-specific ships. Both teams are humans.

Ghoul

Reskinned Benson with 9.2 KM torps that go 70km.

Roles: spotting, evasive tanking, burst DPS

This little guy plays like an assassin. You get in, spot the reds, attempt to get in position to slam with torps, and attempt to draw fire. Your greatest threats are the Octopus w/ its 15km radar and red Ghouls that used their Covert Heal.

Ship abilities: Invincible Engine Boost (50% more speed, 30 sec duration, 60 sec CD). Covert Heal (60 sec duration and CD each, this restores 100 HP/second and more annoyingly halves your detection while it's active).

Useful captain skills: PT, PM, JoaT, AR, LS, SE, TAE, BFT, SI, Vigilance, AFT, RL, and CE.

My captain build:

xBlcXS8.jpg

MB-focused Ghoul is possible, but this is US DD we're talking about in a small team battle. You get no smoke, so don't believe BFT/AFT/IFHE are worth taking.

Octopus

Reskinned Myoko w/ Mogami torps and Moskva's HE rounds.

Roles: support, tanking, anti-DD

Support ship, basically. You're the chief means of finding red DDs, and unlike previous operations, you get a team heal that can save your bacon. Be aware your 155mm need IFHE if you want to damage red Leviathans and your HE's speed is necessary to bring down DDs.

Ship abilities: Radar III (15km range, 20 sec duration, 60 sec CD). Radiance III (heal self and all teammates for 10K HP, no duration, 60 sec CD).

Useful captain skills: PT, JoaT, EM, AR, TAE, SI, DE, Vigilance, IFHE, RL, CE

jUz9nKm.jpg

In practice, TAE is meh on this cruiser unless suicide rush is successful. Not easy to get utility out of AR as the red Leviathans shoot a lot of AP, and as a reskinned Myoko, you're vulnerable to that!

Leviathan

Reskinned North Carolina

Roles: tanking, heavy DPS

Flagship with attitude. Your first priority is the enemy octopi so your Ghouls can close in easily and launch torps. Use your AP w/ Infernal Accuracy to make the reds think twice about broadsiding again!

Ship abilities: Repair Zone III (heals 500 HP/second, 60 sec duration, 60 sec CD). Infernal Accuracy (no dispersion in next volley, 20 sec duration or until fire MB, 60 sec CD).

Useful captain skills: PT, PM, JoaT, HA, EM, AR, BoS, SI, MS, AFT

My build:

bIPhgCH.jpg

I've found Leviathan brawls pretty well. At the same time, since Ghoul torps and Octopus HE are effective at their DoT, a survival build (includes HA/BoS/FP) is also viable. CE is pointless on this BB given the engagement ranges as well as red Ghouls easily permaspotting.

Gameplay tips:

1) Focus the same target. Octopus heal and Leviathan's AoE heal mean time isn't on your side.

2) WASD hax. Ghoul torps, even with Vigilance, are a pain to dodge with their 70 knot speed.

3) Bow-in tanking is effective against anything except Ghoul that flanked you.

4) Ghoul's AP is the only reliable means of destroying Leviathan's secondaries (top armor is the weak spot).

5) WG hasn't given DDs their guaranteed 10% vs. BB AP, so get the overpen and pen on them!

• Cool 10

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
220 posts
10,760 battles
10 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Infernal Accuracy (no dispersion in next volley, 20 sec duration or until fire MB, 60 sec CD).

Do you have a screenshot of this?

Didn't think I would ever see blockshots appear in a naval game again.   Unless that isn't what it does.  lol  :fish_nerv:   

• Funny 2

[SOFOP]
Members
346 posts
4,455 battles

Don't show broadside to a Leviathan.  You will regret it.  Deleted all three of the enemy leviathans on first match with single volleys.

Members
2,632 posts
2,738 battles

I haven't tried the other two ships so far but the Octopus I like a lot. Since I really like IJN cruisers. Which I find odd because I don't hold the same feelings for US heavy cruisers. 

[-HON-]
Beta Testers
413 posts
10,288 battles
34 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Octopus

Reskinned Myoko w/ Mogami torps and Moskva's HE rounds.

Roles: support, tanking, anti-DD

Support ship, basically. You're the chief means of finding red DDs, and unlike previous operations, you get a team heal that can save your bacon. Be aware your 155mm need IFHE if you want to damage red Leviathans and your HE's speed is necessary to bring down DDs.

Ship abilities: Radar III (15km range, 20 sec duration, 60 sec CD). Radiance III (heal self and all teammates for 10K HP, no duration, 60 sec CD).

Useful captain skills: PT, JoaT, EM, AR, TAE, SI, DE, Vigilance, IFHE, RL, CE

It's a reskinned 155mm Mogami.  C turret on the Myoko faces the stern.

You don't need CE as the ranges are too close and you can use the 4 points elsewhere.

The team needs to coordinate abilities to help the team out.  A low health DD going to full health from an Octopus on the other side of the map is game changing.

The use of the 15km radar and focused fire from the CLs and DDs can delete a red DD in the second minute of the match.  

[ARGSY]
Members
7,185 posts
4,874 battles
51 minutes ago, Reymu said:

9.2 KM torps that go 70km.

You might want to change that to kn for knots.

This looks exciting. Thanks for the summary and the build advice.

[SOFOP]
Members
346 posts
4,455 battles
1 hour ago, PtooieBoat said:

Didn't think I would ever see blockshots appear in a naval game again.   Unless that isn't what it does.  lol  :fish_nerv:   

I can try to get one.  Its amazing, but it also does give you an idea of what the game would be like if they made it a true arcade game - IE perfect dispersion all the time.

I think the first shot I made with it, I had 4 citidels.

Varg, Scarab and the other 2 DDs are fun too.  I didn't have much fun on test with Rasputin though - 200k HP ship that moves slow, but has some interesting specials.ScreenShot028.png.0970176606a6149ce8e9d6a748102a59.png

Edit:  Screencap of shells in the air.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,689 posts
17,952 battles

Nice.

Have fun though. Didn’t play that cap/special boosts mode; not really interested in this.

Members
19,036 posts
5,351 battles
2 hours ago, PtooieBoat said:

Didn't think I would ever see blockshots appear in a naval game again.   

If it was a Nelson instead of a NC, it would feel pretty nostalgic lol.

• Funny 1

[NG-NL]
Members
5,109 posts
8,510 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Nice.

Have fun though. Didn’t play that cap/special boosts mode; not really interested in this.

Meh, you've said mid-tiers are your preference, wouldn't expect you to jump into Arms Race (that mode disappeared anyway).

But come on, these are T7 ships in Twilight. Gimmicks turn you off or something?

[RLGN]
Members
8,689 posts
17,952 battles
1 hour ago, Reymu said:

Meh, you've said mid-tiers are your preference, wouldn't expect you to jump into Arms Race (that mode disappeared anyway).

But come on, these are T7 ships in Twilight. Gimmicks turn you off or something?

It’s actually less that than the ugly camos, and drifting really hard away from Randoms.

About the time of my dad’s passing, (March ‘17,) I had maybe 5k PvP and 1-2k PvE. Now it’s about 8k each.

Also I just don’t enjoy PvP. I get upset like an idiot; tend to be salty as hell; and don’t often feel like I do anything useful. 

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
220 posts
10,760 battles
5 hours ago, Skpstr said:

If it was a Nelson instead of a NC, it would feel pretty nostalgic lol.

For me it was the York for sure & the Balti? I think was the other one.    I didn't go into that BB line.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,185 posts
4,874 battles
13 hours ago, Reymu said:

these are T7 ships in Twilight

They are actually all reskinned T8 ships, but their economics have been set for Tier 7 (as were the Tier 10 ships in Space Battles). There are other important differences too - I thought I was driving a modified Benson, but the Benson's gun range is definitely longer than the Ghoul's horribly gimped 8km.

[SHAFT]
Members
261 posts
10,895 battles

Thanks a mil for the suggested builds Reymu.

Tried them out last night with some success.

Thinking of adding RPF the cruiser build instead of concealment as you are basically perma spotted by dds.

Members
19,036 posts
5,351 battles
10 hours ago, PtooieBoat said:

For me it was the York for sure & the Balti? I think was the other one.    I didn't go into that BB line.

I only got as far myself as my Balt being able to land all the shells on a DD, was still a couple gunner levels from block shots. Forgot about York.

I never had any RN BBs, just remember the 14" quads would block.

I remember that people would put 2 of those turrets on the Nelson, load it up with a crapload of armor, and bow tank. (not like we do here, it was for the smaller target aspect)