You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Thanos_Snap_

Why do people do this?

40 comments in this topic

[HAIFU]
[HAIFU]
Members
80 posts
4,381 battles

So I am just chilling in my Shimakaze seeing how much I like the buffed guns. When I almost get teamtorped by a friendly Tirpitz who was shooting a wide spread towards a group of ships about 10km off. After the game I look him up and see this unknown.thumb.png.4bbccf7ff69fdf2167a57eee8a3fde0d.png

So you have 16 random battles under your belt and you decide "Yeah I'm ready for tier 10."? 
I know this is nothing new and it happens all the time. But I only noticed this guy because he nearly teamkilled me.
I just find it hard to wrap my head around the decisionmaking that goes into buying a >$50 ship when you barely have even figured out how the game works.
Do these people even enjoy what they are doing? Are they actually having fun?

• Cool 4
  • Bad 4

Members
663 posts
7,797 battles

I guess those tutorials (advice) from YouTube didn't work...
To be quite frank with ya, WG kinda just let it slide with the newcomers buying high tiered ships just to have fun...

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
3,479 posts

I see players with 1000s of battles who still don't seem to realize that their torpedoes have a maximum range... at least once a week I'll see someone firing Russian 4km torps downrange as soon as the enemy is spotted.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-GS-]
Beta Testers
1,903 posts
19,318 battles

I see noting wrong with WG selling tier (8) ships to noobs after all it's a business that needs the money so players can play for free...…. 

• Cool 4

[PNG]
Supertester, Beta Testers
5,706 posts
6,634 battles

Some people just play because they want to. You can’t shame them into learning the mechanics.

lj9U5SB.png

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[HAIFU]
[HAIFU]
Members
80 posts
4,381 battles
5 minutes ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

I mean, there are no rules stating that you're forbidden to buy T8 premium ships if you're a beginner.

I guess what I am really asking is what is the mentality behind a player like this. Do they know full well what they are doing or do they just not care?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
1,033 posts
13 battles
1 minute ago, Lethal_Discharge said:

I guess what I am really asking is what is the mentality behind a player like this. Do they know full well what they are doing or do they just not care?

I dunno, maybe they like Tirpitz, and decided to play the game because of that?

[HAIFU]
[HAIFU]
Members
80 posts
4,381 battles
5 minutes ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

I dunno, maybe they like Tirpitz, and decided to play the game because of that?

I guess I can't really shame them for that. Because the Weeb I am joined this game solely because of the Arpeggio collab. But I still had to earn those ships by learning how to play.

[DOG]
Members
467 posts
6,005 battles
10 minutes ago, Lethal_Discharge said:

It's quite possible they have no idea.  I know it took me months just to figure out the economy, consumables, signal flags, captain skills, modules etc.  On the plus side, by the time I did, I had hundreds of each upgraded consumable, and signal flags coming out my ears.  As far as combat mechanics, I had a fair idea, because I've played other historical naval board games over the years.  So I kind of knew things like which ships were likely to pierce other ships' armor (except, of course, the ridiculous game mechanic that makes it suicidal to turn broadside to the enemy, which is how the ships were specifically designed to fight).  And of course things like ranges and reload times being compressed, not to mention torpedoes being reloaded in the middle of combat.

Edited by zubalkabir
  • Cool 1

[HAIFU]
[HAIFU]
Members
80 posts
4,381 battles
Just now, zubalkabir said:

It's quite possible they have no idea.  I know it took me months just to figure out the economy, consumables, signal flags, captain skills, modules etc.  On the plus side, by the time I did, I had hundreds of each upgraded consumable, and signal flags coming out my ears.  As far as combat mechanics, I had a fair idea, because I've played other historical naval board games over the years.  So I kind of knew which ships were likely to pierce other ships' armor (except, of course, the ridiculous game mechanic that makes it suicidal to turn broadside to the enemy, which is how the ships were specifically designed to fight).

Ridiculous in a historical context sure, but I am glad that this game takes a more relaxed arcade approach to balance. I can live with it because I was never a naval history buff to begin with. But this game is slowly but surely turning me into one.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,329 posts
9,639 battles
13 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I see players with 1000s of battles who still don't seem to realize that their torpedoes have a maximum range... at least once a week I'll see someone firing Russian 4km torps downrange as soon as the enemy is spotted.

The best I have puled off has been a few 11 Km shots with 10 Km torpedoes at a closing target. I don't give a hoot if they fire them only that those shots do not disrupt my maneuvering.

11 minutes ago, Lethal_Discharge said:

I think it is a combination of not giving a damn and not understanding how things work.

• Cool 1

[FTH]
[FTH]
Members
310 posts
11,656 battles
16 minutes ago, Lethal_Discharge said:

Ridiculous in a historical context sure, but I am glad that this game takes a more relaxed arcade approach to balance. I can live with it because I was never a naval history buff to begin with. But this game is slowly but surely turning me into one.

I actually came to this game for a chance to play the Iowa...the way it's all balanced, I basically have to throw real life out the window while I'm playing though, unfortunately...as someone else mentioned.."Crossing the T" is considered a tactical checkmate...in WoWS? 4 cits and you're sunk...that was a hard lesson to learn.

[HAIFU]
[HAIFU]
Members
80 posts
4,381 battles
Just now, Purg473 said:

I actually came to this game for a chance to play the Iowa...the way it's all balanced, I basically have to throw real life out the window while I'm playing though, unfortunately...as someone else mentioned.."Crossing the T" is considered a tactical checkmate...in WoWS? 4 cits and you're sunk...that was a hard lesson to learn.

Focus firing and having correct positioning is still "Tactically Stimulating" enough for me at least. It's different sure, but this game isn't meant to be a sim.

[HBG]
Members
18 posts
4,298 battles
34 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Saw this yesterday.. in a Zao. Trying to hit a BB >20km from him and sailing away. Surely while getting to tech-tree T10 you have gleaned some idea of torp range?! Mind = Boggled.

[DPG]
Members
946 posts
4,926 battles

The mentality is "I don't want to grind to a higher tier so I'm going to buy the first high tier premium that appeals to me."   The Tirpitz seems to be more attractive in this regard.  I think it's a combo of historicity and "I get to be the bad guy!"  Most people don't know anything about IJN BBs save for the Yamato, which you can't buy in the premium shop.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,891 posts
11,539 battles

You cannot do anything , they will play their newly bought ship even if they loose, they will enjoy the sounds and the guns on the ship, they won't know they can put a capt on it, but at the end of the day, WG earnt some money, and this player is having fun for now.

All you can do if they're on your team is hope they have the best game they have ever going to have.

• Funny 1

[FTH]
[FTH]
Members
310 posts
11,656 battles

Some of them genuinely want to learn though...so (and I know I'm going to be flamed for saying this)...give them suggestions on how to improve, preferably without telling them to uninstall, go back to T1 or jump off a cliff as a preface.

• Cool 1

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
407 posts
18,992 battles

I played with a guy yesterday that had 4 games in an Erie before playing his first game in his new Alabama. He was the last to die because he never went 1/2 a mile from where he spawned. We lost by the way. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
3,479 posts

Another one that gets me... some days it seems like the odds of a ship being AFK are directly proportional to how much it's festooned with signals and camo.

Edited by KilljoyCutter

Beta Testers
15 posts
2,851 battles

I guess it boils down to they have the money,  they want to buy more fun,  and that is the way they have learned to get it.  Doesn't matter if they get the mechanics and most likely they view the rest of us as in the way of their fun. I have seen many play as if they are the only one in the match. Welcome to gaming with the youngsters. I figure them as just another obstacle to avoid. Flaming or shaming only serves to enrage them like a small child that didn't get its way.

Edited by 1madmouse
add text

[SPCU]
Members
301 posts
4,355 battles

No need to hate on the taters with some walking around money... you know they're scrumptious when on the enemy team and lightly roasted... :Smile_popcorn:

[WOLF7]
Members
10,361 posts
2 hours ago, Lethal_Discharge said:

So I am just chilling in my Shimakaze seeing how much I like the buffed guns. When I almost get teamtorped by a friendly Tirpitz who was shooting a wide spread towards a group of ships about 10km off. After the game I look him up and see this unknown.thumb.png.4bbccf7ff69fdf2167a57eee8a3fde0d.png

SNIP 

Are they actually having fun?

Yes? 

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
301 posts
2,470 battles

Think of it this way.  This guy just paid $54 USD to have fun driving a ship that you only read about in the history books.