You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Monthly Event Bloat - Destroying its usefulness.

19 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,925 posts
5,416 battles

Is anyone else finding that the News Page postings of Monthly Events are bloated and of limited use as a result?

I used to carefully read about the events coming up each month and what special missions/rewards would be available.   Now that they're giving away something for login every day, or long mission chains. . . . and posting all the details. . . I usually just fast-scroll through the announcements and see if I can pick up anything I care about.

I have neither the time nor inclination to study multi-page posts of benefits that change every few weeks.  Especially when 99% of those benefits are so small as to be completely insignificant.

WG Things I don't care about include:

• Silver - any amount less than 10,000,000 (actually I don't even care about that much. . . but if there were ways to earn it in big chunks I might, just to see if I could reach the 1 billion silver club.)
  • Premium Consumables - any amount
  • Camoflages - Less than 20
  • Camoflages that don't directly, or indirectly boost Captain XP or Free XP

If you REALLY wanted me to care about daily rewards. . . you'd offer combat bonus (not economic) signals as rewards.

Anyway. . . just some random thoughts.   That is all.  

• Cool 5

[5BS]
Members
4,987 posts

I find the bigger problem is that the rewards are meh. I'd prefer fewer, higher quality rewards (permanent camos, flags, (occasional ships), Doubloon rewards, big Free XP/Commander XP payouts ect) than the constant cavalcade of meh, camo, flag, coal, small FXP rewards. There was a period last year where almost every month had a flag reward, or a camo reward, or a special captain reward, or a big CXP (20-30k) reward. I much preferred that. To say nothing of missing the old, "Double XP weekends" that used to pop up all the time, or "X nation ship get's 200% xp" stuff.

• Cool 2

[NG-NL]
Members
5,103 posts
8,487 battles

Why complain about the free stuff? It's aimed more at newer players from look of it. I'm just grateful WG's opted for this approach over the old days where the missions gave a meager 20-30K credits and could be frustrating to complete.

• Boring 1

[WAG]
Members
1,398 posts
8,025 battles

They fire hose of marketing over the last 6 months has worn me out. The constant barrage of opportunities and special this and that have become overkill, the latest twilight  thing included... it's as if this twilight and the subs were in contention to be *the* Halloween event, and to settle it, they allowed twilight to piggy back onto the Subs event.... It is an odd time to have such an evil theme'd event happening.  I feel there is a lot that WG could be doing to improve the game, but they seem bent on a sledgehammer approach to marketing instead. 

I would wish they would fix the little stuff instead of adding more and more complexity on top of it all..Like the simple interface issue of the Compact Carousel reverting to two rows when it has been set to four.... or the game dumping me to the port instead of the result screen at the end of battles, and simplifying the Signal flag menu with  a check box by each flag and only one mount button.. , let alone the bigger issue of Radar and CV's and Matchmaker issues... and then there is the overall communication with the NA Clans... and yeah... burn out...

I don't want to be burnt out and I don't want to be aggravated at WG... I want thegame to progress and become better, which is why I toss this feedback out there... but is anyone *really* listening, or are we just eliminating body fluids in the direction of the oncoming breeze?

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,925 posts
5,416 battles
5 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

They fire hose of marketing over the last 6 months has worn me out. The constant barrage of opportunities and special this and that have become overkill, the latest twilight  thing included... it's as if this twilight and the subs were in contention to be *the* Halloween event, and to settle it, they allowed twilight to piggy back onto the Subs event.... It is an odd time to have such an evil theme'd event happening.  I feel there is a lot that WG could be doing to improve the game, but they seem bent on a sledgehammer approach to marketing instead. 

I would wish they would fix the little stuff instead of adding more and more complexity on top of it all..Like the simple interface issue of the Compact Carousel reverting to two rows when it has been set to four.... or the game dumping me to the port instead of the result screen at the end of battles, and simplifying the Signal flag menu with  a check box by each flag and only one mount button.. , let alone the bigger issue of Radar and CV's and Matchmaker issues... and then there is the overall communication with the NA Clans... and yeah... burn out...

I don't want to be burnt out and I don't want to be aggravated at WG... I want thegame to progress and become better, which is why I toss this feedback out there... but is anyone *really* listening, or are we just eliminating body fluids in the direction of the oncoming breeze?

Exactly. . . I feel they invested a huge amount of dev resources into subs and Twilight that could have been better spent on enhancements or fixes to the core game mode.

[5BS]
Members
4,987 posts
6 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

I think they like to use the Halloween events as soft tests for future, normal Random mode changes. I suspect that no FF and area heals are what they are testing here, as they are the most likely things to see moved from Ops to Randoms.

• Cool 1

[5BS]
Members
4,987 posts
2 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Exactly. . . I feel they invested a huge amount of dev resources into subs and Twilight that could have been better spent on enhancements or fixes to the core game mode.

That's not how game development, or any R&D/Engineering works. You have multiple teams working on multiple things and typically specialized towards a type of thing; these are done by the EVENTS team, not the balance team.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,925 posts
5,416 battles
1 minute ago, _RC1138 said:

That's not how game development, or any R&D/Engineering works. You have multiple teams working on multiple things and typically specialized towards a type of thing; these are done by the EVENTS team, not the balance team.

Well coming from somebody who works in tech.  Modern agile development calls for interchangeable resources.  So those developers presumably should have the skills necessary to work on the core game instead of events.  I'm questioning the level of funding and resources provided to the Events team versus the core game.  It's a zero sum game.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,262 posts
9,589 battles
18 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Why complain about the free stuff? It's aimed more at newer players from look of it. I'm just grateful WG's opted for this approach over the old days where the missions gave a meager 20-30K credits and could be frustrating to complete.

We have to opt in outside of the game for far too many things because people were complaining. If they are going to stay with opt in I would rather see it in game and when you log in you are given the option of taking it or not.

• Cool 2

[WAG]
Members
1,398 posts
8,025 battles
13 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Yes...this is the standard answer that WG has been giving out for over the last year whenever we bring up issues about the work being done on the basics. .... but, someone at some point someone had to decide how much resource the devote to those divisions.  The argument still stands that they seem to be putting more energy into the bells and whistles than the engine.

[5BS]
Members
4,987 posts
12 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

It's a zero sum game.

It's really not. If I want a new coating on a hull, I don't steal resources/time/money from the guys working on propulsion to work on that. I have a team that DOES coatings. If WGing wants a new event map/operation, they have an EVENT team that that's what they do. They showed as much in the DevDiaries.

[5BS]
Members
4,987 posts
4 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

someone at some point someone had to decide how much resource the devote to those divisions. 

Wrong. You're starting from the premise that a company starts, with x number of employees, sets up departments that are some x-n employees to fill them, and that x never goes up. Operations did not exist 2 years ago. They hired people in the interim. I hired another engineer just last week to work our propulsion team as we are moving more and more away from traditional methods. I didn't steal resources from our containment team to fill out the propulsion team: I hired a new guy to take on the additional work. Ask anyone whose ever ran a department (especially an engineering/R&D department, less as much Ops or Supply Chain guys) and they'll tell you that you just GET new people, you don't cancel work on other projects. That's a VERY bad business move. WGing isn't lying to you, they just have different priorities than YOU vocal people who don't care for events/Operations. Also, I think you are grossly underestimating how hard it is to balance the mess they've made here (and it was a mess from day 1, the Tiering system creates it by its nature).

Edited by _RC1138

[WAG]
Members
1,398 posts
8,025 battles
1 minute ago, _RC1138 said:

Wrong. You're starting from the premise that a company starts, with x number of employees, sets up departments that are some x-n employees to fill them, and that x never goes up. Operations did not exist 2 years ago. They hired people in the interim. I hired another engineer just last week to work our propulsion team as we are moving more and more away from traditional methods. I didn't steal resources from our containment team to fill out the propulsion team: I hired a new guy to take on the additional work.

So no one made a decision to place resources where they are... gotcha... yep... I know nothing... glad that is settled

[5BS]
Members
4,987 posts
Just now, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

So no one made a decision to place resources where they are... gotcha... yep... I know nothing... glad that is settled

No, but it doesn't mean that by putting MORE money and work into say, Operations, does that mean they TOOK AWAY from the balance team. One has nothing to do with the other. It is not a zero sum.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,925 posts
5,416 battles
1 hour ago, _RC1138 said:

It's really not. If I want a new coating on a hull, I don't steal resources/time/money from the guys working on propulsion to work on that. I have a team that DOES coatings. If WGing wants a new event map/operation, they have an EVENT team that that's what they do. They showed as much in the DevDiaries.

Well engineering is one thing.

Software developement is something else.  

You appear to be entirely unacquainted with Scrum/Agile development processes, use of a Kanban, or the SAFe-Agile framework.   Because what you described is EXACTLY what you do in software development.

If you’d like some tips on which Agile development certifications to pursue if you’d like to learn more, I’d be happy to share them.   But for now you’ll just have to take my word for it that professional software development is, in fact, a zero sum game.

Resource allocation and project prioritization for software developement is what I do for a living.

• Cool 1

[5BS]
Members
4,987 posts
9 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

You appear to be entirely unacquainted with Scrum/Agile development processes

I'm not. We call it "Speed to Market" or in our British Offices, "Rapid Deployment"

Well engineering is one thing.

Software developement is something else.   

They are in fact the same thing. Software development is done by Computer Science Engineers.

Resource allocation and project prioritization for software developement is what I do for a living.

Only poor companies/understaffed companies have to resort to resource allocation, and Wargaming is neither. If you look at their global staffing levels they have NO problem with maintaining multiple development TEAMS per product. And again, they've said as much (even shown as much in the DevDiaries), and this isn't something worth lying about.

Edited by _RC1138

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,925 posts
5,416 battles
6 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

I'm not. We call it "Speed to Market" or in our British Offices, "Rapid Deployment"

They are in fact the same thing. Software development is done by Computer Science Engineers.

Only poor companies/understaffed companies have to resort to resource allocation, and Wargaming is neither. If you look at their global staffing levels they have NO problem with maintaining multiple development TEAMS per product. And again, they've said as much (even shown as much in the DevDiaries), and this isn't something worth lying about.

I work for a $100 billion dollar company.   One of the largest financial services companies in the U.S.   A household name.

If you want to continue spouting your unschooled opinions on software developement practices you know nothing about, go right ahead.   You’re just making yourself look like a fool.

Or you could listen to a professional who is trying to educate you on how it’s actually done.

Guess what Agile development is called in the U.K.   “Agile development.”

• Boring 1

[5BS]
Members
4,987 posts
18 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

If you want to continue spouting your unschooled opinions on software developement practices you know nothing about, go right ahead.   You’re just making yourself look like a fool.

I work for one of the biggest *companies* in the world. If you wana have a pissing contest you will lose. Understand that shipbuilders are divisions of basically the most tech driven, profit heavy, and influential companies in the world. Bae, Daewoo, Samsung, and others can buy and sell most of the fortune 500 list several times over. And agile development is like Six Sigma; some companies buy it lock stock and barrel, and some companies are smarter.

Edited by _RC1138

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,925 posts
5,416 battles
2 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

I work for one of the biggest *companies* in the world. If you wana have a pissing contest you will lose. Understand that shipbuilders are divisions of basically the most tech driven, profit heavy, and influential companies in the world. Bae, Daewoo, Samsung, and others can buy and sell most of the fortune 500 list several times over. And agile development is like Six Sigma; some companies buy it lock stock and barrel, and some companies are smarter.

Well at least I've gotten you to admit that Agile development is a thing and is not "speed to market."  LOL  Given that you're not even in software development. . . pretty sure you're going to lose in any pissing contests.  Given than my company is a Fortune 40 company, and I work on software development for the entire enterprise.   I'm not too impressed by your small division of some conglomerate that has its fingers in a lot of different pies.

But I'm not going to waste any more time with you.  I've been informed by another user in private message, that you are, in fact, a fool that clings to your opinions, even in the face of undeniable evidence to the contrary.  So I'm just going to throw you on the ignore list, as I'm not going to waste anymore time on fools. 

I come to the forums to talk about warships, not work.  If you want me to continue to educate you on software development practices, I'm going to have to ask that you start paying my consulting rate of $80.00/hour.