You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Turbotush

T8 is still screwed

44 comments in this topic

[SAA]
Members
910 posts
27,944 battles

Spent the morning in my Atago hoping that I could get into a match were I didn't fell like canon fodder to T10.  I was really counting on the new MM to at least make teams were I wasn't the only T8, well MM screwed me 80% of the time!  So my Atago goes back to port to rust.

The reason a lot of players like Clan and Ranked battles is not just that they get to supper div with there team, they like that it is a single tier, wish WG would come to realize that.  I don't buy the argument of "There are not enough T8 or T10 in the queue", I think that is a copout.  I would much rather have matches that are short a few players or have longer queue times then to have to go in to battle after battle being up tiered.

This could all be changed with +1/-0 or even +1/-1.

• Cool 16
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 4

[SALVO]
Members
17,651 posts
18,478 battles
10 minutes ago, Turbotush said:

Spent the morning in my Atago hoping that I could get into a match were I didn't fell like canon fodder to T10.  I was really counting on the new MM to at least make teams were I wasn't the only T8, well MM screwed me 80% of the time!  So my Atago goes back to port to rust.

The reason a lot of players like Clan and Ranked battles is not just that they get to supper div with there team, they like that it is a single tier, wish WG would come to realize that.  I don't buy the argument of "There are not enough T8 or T10 in the queue", I think that is a copout.  I would much rather have matches that are short a few players or have longer queue times then to have to go in to battle after battle being up tiered.

Players like CBs or RBs because their team takes them out to dinner as a group?  Who gets the bill?

• Boring 1

[VFW]
Members
967 posts
21,686 battles

Turbo,

Noticed the same thing...in fact seems a little worst.  Most of my T8 matches (5) were up-tiered...1 was not.   Also had a game as a T9 (heavy T10 match) in which there was 1 T8 on both sides...I'm sure they felt great.

vr, 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,925 posts
5,386 battles
22 minutes ago, Turbotush said:

Did you actually do something useful. . . like keep a count of matches by Tier under the new system?

Logging on, getting a couple Tier 10 games, then quitting really tells us nothing about the new MM.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,056 posts
4,725 battles

meanwhile my harekaze  was buffed 2 times today.truly a good day.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
52 posts
3,985 battles

When I tried queing in my Hipper this morning there were few ships ready to go. After waiting 2 minutes and still having only 6 players in que I switched to my Des Moines and went strait to battle.  Of course there were 2 Tier VIII’s on each side.  Hopefully things will get better with more players online.

[SOFOP]
Members
339 posts
4,368 battles
2 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Did you actually do something useful. . . like keep a count of matches by Tier under the new system?

It is much easier to get your opinion across if you don't let things like facts get in the way.

Get a program like MXSTAT, and you'll see the issue, over a decent amount of games, isn't as bad as you think.  Confirmation bias is real.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 3

Members
1,200 posts
7,298 battles

curious as to how much better if at all the new MM will be during prime time.  playing when there are only a few people on, like in the morning or night throws off MM.

• Cool 2

[CUTER]
Members
3,777 posts
15,702 battles

м8, you played 3 Atago games. How did you calculated those 80%?

Edited by Preteen
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 3

[BUOY]
Members
325 posts
3,432 battles
33 minutes ago, Turbotush said:

wait till the evening to judge the new MM when most people will be on.

4 minutes ago, Preteen said:

м8, you played 3 Atago game. How did you calculated those 80%?

lmbo, he needs to learn math it seems

[SALVO]
Members
17,651 posts
18,478 battles
7 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Logging on, getting a couple Tier 10 games, then quitting really tells us nothing about the new MM.

Exactly, TheDN.   A criticism of the MM adjustments requires at least a passing attempt at a decent statistical analysis.  Do a "Lert Test".  Play 100 battles in a tier 10, record the MM results, and then get back to us.

On the flip side, I don't recall seeing any specifics from WG on what these MM adjustments really entailed.  How can we know if their adjustments really worked if we don't know what was being done?  For example, if the tweak has been going to +/-1 tier MM (which it wasn't, I'm using it as an example only), and you ran across some battles where the teams were +/-2 tiers, you'd be correctly thinking that such an adjustment wasn't working properly.  But I don't recall seeing any details from WG on what the MM adjustments in this update were supposed to do, so how are we supposed to judge if they were successful or not?  To the best of my knowledge, all we know is that they say that they did "something" to improve MM, but we don't really know what that "something" is.

[SAA]
Members
910 posts
27,944 battles
15 minutes ago, Preteen said:

м8, you played 3 Atago games. How did you calculated those 80%?

3 on main account 6 on secondary.  8 were up tired.

• Cool 1

[SOFOP]
Members
339 posts
4,368 battles
16 minutes ago, Turbotush said:

3 on main account 6 on secondary.  8 were up tired.

That is pretty bad, but still a very small sample size during a lightly populated portion of the day.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,765 posts
5,358 battles

How many people are playing now. I would guess that’s more of the issue. We need to see how things lay out later in the day. 

[USCC2]
Members
3,798 posts
2 hours ago, Turbotush said:

Not quite sure why you got the negative votes as it wasn't so long ago that a post from a member on the forums regarding 2+ tier difference got the most upvotes ever gotten for a thread (may still hold the record?). Guess some people gotta be negative. :Smile_honoring:

(...waits in anticipation of a downvote that will affect his life forever :Smile_ohmy:)

[WOLF7]
Members
10,340 posts

They waited too long to fix this issue....Should have tried it while the server still had a decent population.:Smile_amazed:

• Boring 1

[HINON]
Members
9,317 posts
7 minutes ago, awiggin said:

They waited too long to fix this issue....Should have tried it while the server still had a decent population.:Smile_amazed:

The population has not substantially changed.

Members
2,662 posts
7,977 battles
2 hours ago, Turbotush said:

Spent the morning in my Atago hoping that I could get into a match were I didn't fell like canon fodder to T10. 

I love T8s, some of my favorite shps are T8s and im never "cannon fodder" to T10s. In fact, since we dont have any kind of skill based MM, is very common to see T8s carrying T9/10s in battle. Since we dont have a skill based MM, skill is more important than the tier of the ship. 

• Bad 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,945 posts
9,805 battles
2 hours ago, Captain_Doll said:

What was the server population at the time you entered the game with your Atago?

2 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

That is pretty bad, but still a very small sample size during a lightly populated portion of the day.

Exactly. It’s not only the morning on a work day, it’s also a patch day.  Most people probably haven’t even started updating the client.

All you are doing is complaining that MM is wonky when server population is low. Something everyone knows and the new MM isn’t designed to do anything about that. 

[TARFU]
[TARFU]
Members
1,030 posts
6,386 battles
14 minutes ago, Bonfor said:

Was on a bit ago, the NA pop was 6k. 

1/3rd what it normally is on a weekday night?

[INTEL]
Members
867 posts
9,011 battles
39 minutes ago, Bonfor said:

Was on a bit ago, the NA pop was 6k. 

I was on about the time the OP started the thread. Server pop was showing less than 4k when I signed on. It was under 6k when I was on 2 hours ago. Late afternoon and evening population normally runs 12 to 15k on a weeknight.

Not seeing how anyone can judge a MM change that just hit when server pop is at minimum.

Edited by Ares1967

[SOFOP]
Members
339 posts
4,368 battles
34 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

1/3rd what it normally is on a weekday night?

During working hours in NA, 4-6k people online is about normal.  Night time, it jumps to 9.  6 months ago, it used to jump to 11-12k at night, but no more.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One

[ARRGG]
Members
4,751 posts
7,683 battles
4 hours ago, Turbotush said:

Tier 8 is not about quean time, it’s about exposing tier8 players to x ships... a marketing strategy more than anything else

• Cool 1