You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BUNNYHUGGERI

WOWS VS WOT...

55 comments in this topic

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Members
866 posts
63 battles

WoWS is much more friendly. I left WoT before the mickey ears US heavy was dropped down. I wasn't great however I could rack up multiple kills a game normally. Returned years later and uhhh yeah no thanks. Plus it feels waaaay more grindy. Thank you Lesta.

I'm glad for the new enhanced premium that will be WoWS only. I want to play the Italian tanks however I just can't force myself to get the few  hundred games I would need to be competent at high tier. 

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,888 posts
8,344 battles

The problem with WoT is that out side of actions, there is no option to be positive. Outside of direct chat, the only player options is to

1] report

2] complain

3] black list

Is it too much to add a compliment option im the menu?

Also, artillery gives no warning when its about to hit you. Battleships don't either [wows artillery] but bomber squadrons typically grant plenty if time to at least steel yourself for that impact, instead of some invisible clicker that just reaches over and blaps on uour head and makes it like your whole tank crew is dead!

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,929 posts
5,416 battles

After 19,000 WOT battles, I quit cold turkey when WoWS came out.

Out of curiosity, I logged in and played a couple games a couple years ago.

Ugh. . . no.  They've completely changed that game into something I didn't enjoy at all.   Wish I could sell my account with all it's ultra-rare tanks and fully maxed crews.  I'm sure somebody would be willing to pay a lot of money for it.  It's not doing me any good anymore, that's for sure.

• Cool 2

Members
486 posts

Captain system is better than tank crew training.  Exp doesnt feel like such a brutal grind to do, much more positive community as a whole.  The devs in WoWS seem to listen better, a ship a few tiers down doesnt feel nearly as helpless as a tank 2 tiers down.  Better MM system in WoWS and its about to get better with +1/-1.   And I loved tanks for a long time it just had issues that really made it hard to like sometimes.   Take for instance a Maus, you give up everything for super thick armor, you are huge/slow/bad camo etc first tank you run into loads gold and cuts through your turret like butter.   In WoWS we dont have prem rounds and thank the lord for it.

• Cool 5

[SIM]
Members
2,665 posts
4,423 battles

I still play World of Tanks, but I find the experience to be shallow and under-engaging. They need to get Frontline back into the game and keep it there permanently. 

Edited by SkaerKrow
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,948 posts
9,842 battles

WoT is like fighting in a closet with hand grenades. 

Maps are too small, you hit view range saturation at T5, and armor is irrelevant with all the premium being spammed. 3/5/7 is also a dismal failure that should have been removed ages ago.

Prople who whine here about T8s having to fight T10s should go play tanks for a bit. Then come back and say with a straight face that T8s here have it rough.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,291 posts
9,598 battles
1 hour ago, Sparviero said:

WoWS is much more friendly. I left WoT before the mickey ears US heavy was dropped down. I wasn't great however I could rack up multiple kills a game normally. Returned years later and uhhh yeah no thanks. Plus it feels waaaay more grindy. Thank you Lesta.

I'm glad for the new enhanced premium that will be WoWS only. I want to play the Italian tanks however I just can't force myself to get the few  hundred games I would need to be competent at high tier. 

This, Here and over in WoWP if you ask a question people will try to help. Over in WoT you are happy to get a wise [edited] answer if you don't get told to FO.

[MEATS]
Supertester, Beta Testers
174 posts
3,088 battles
19 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

I still play World of Tanks, but I find the experience to be shallow and under-engaing. They need to get Frontline back into the game and keep it there permanently. 

PREACH IT, BROTHER!

All kidding aside, I find tanks so annoying dull since Frontline got over that I'm seriously considering an uninstall.

Which is a shame considering how many rarity tanks I have. But if I don't enjoy it, why play it?

As mentioned earlier, 3/5/7 killed my enjoyment. +/-2 is an annoyance, but at least I still have a fighting chance, regardless of ship type. Well, save for CV's since I'm horrible in them.

[5BS]
Members
4,993 posts
18 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

WoT is like fighting in a closet with hand grenades. 

Maps are too small, you hit view range saturation at T5, and armor is irrelevant with all the premium being spammed. 3/5/7 is also a dismal failure that should have been removed ages ago.

Prople who whine here about T8s having to fight T10s should go play tanks for a bit. Then come back and say with a straight face that T8s here have it rough.

Just because I give you burger made of donkey feces instead of the bloody ant and human bile burger, doesn't start to make the donkey feces 'good' it just means it's better. T8's have it WAY better here than in WoT's, but the tier system in general was a mistake and creates a litany of issues all on its own. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,948 posts
9,842 battles
12 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Just because I give you burger made of donkey feces instead of the bloody ant and human bile burger, doesn't start to make the donkey feces 'good' it just means it's better. T8's have it WAY better here than in WoT's, but the tier system in general was a mistake and creates a litany of issues all on its own. 

I would blame the shared spotting system more than the tier system. 

WoWS needs something like “Radio Range” in WoT. Of course you hit radio range saturation at T3 in WoT, but the idea itself is sound. In ships only share spotting with other ships within 10k or something. Maybe less.

Dont let ships snipe or be snipped from across the map because one ship has them lit. Put them on the mini map, but don’t render them. 

[5BS]
Members
4,993 posts
1 minute ago, HazardDrake said:

WoWS needs something like “Radio Range” in WoT. Of course you hit radio range saturation at T3 in WoT, but the idea itself is sound. In ships only share spotting with other ships within 10k or something. Maybe less. 

Dont let ships snipe or be snipped from across the map because one ship has them lit. Put them on the mini map, but don’t render them. 

I would stand to agree, but I think, as is often the case, it's not 1, or 2 things, but a litany of things creating issues, but yes, the spotting system is a HUGE problem too, mostly because, the nature of SEA combat, is that SPOTTING is determined by the SPOTTER, not the spotted. In reality ships would be better served by a vision RANGE as opposed to a SPOTTING distance. Yes, it makes a mess of DD balance (but then, what doesn't? DD's are not supposed to be used the way they are ANYWAY) but it is FAR more respective of the situations at play.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,821 posts
4,092 battles

The RNG in WoT is incredibly asinine to work against you 99% of the time.

RNGESUS: "Oh you only need a slightly below average roll to kill this tank? Well TOO BAD! I'll give you a low average roll and let him live with 1 health so that he can roll above average and kill you."

• Funny 1

[-K-]
Members
1,103 posts
7,614 battles

Technically there already is a vision range specific to each ship where beyond that range you can't see other ships even if your teammate has them spotted, but it really doesn't come into play much because it's usually well beyond the ship's main battery range.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,808 posts
4,780 battles
51 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

This, Here and over in WoWP if you ask a question people will try to help. Over in WoT you are happy to get a wise [edited] answer if you don't get told to FO.

...assuming you don't get caught into the WoWP Forum Edition 2.0.x............

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,636 posts
4,196 battles
6 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

I understand what you're saying, and I have an honest question - wouldn't that make the outer gun ranges of some ships completely useless?  If this is what you want as an end goal, wouldn't simply nerfing gun range be a simpler way to do it?

OP - I've been going back and running some WoT the last few nights after the group that I play ships with breaks up and the server population dips below 3,500.  I haven't (yet) read your WoT post, but I will.  Some things occurred to me after my frustration gaming session last night.

1) There's too many tanks in the game.  When I switched during WoWs closed beta, there were more than 400.  They've introduced three additional lines since then and who knows how many premiums.  There's simply no way to balance the game with that many pieces in play.

2)  Corollary to 1, there are some tanks on the tech tree that are simply not viable anymore.  No player is going to choose to drive a KV-4 at tier 8 because it is competitive and they expect they can do well with it.  It's just not, and you can't.

3) With all the advantages granted by high-skill crews, reward tanks, improved upgrade modules, and things like directives and other bonuses, a new player has no other way to get to tier 10 but to fail their way there.  You can't get most of those advantages by spamming a boatload of low tier games.  When you get to the high tiers every battle is against a player base that has insurmountable advantages even just facing same-tier opponents.

4)  The vision system is arcane.  In WoWs, you may not know what ship is spotting you, or from where exactly, but there is enough information available in the game to quickly make an educated guess.  If that ship does shoot you, then you know right where it is.  If they try to torpedo-ambush you, well, you have your rudder.  Used right, it will keep you safe most of the time.  In WoT, you have to take the second hit before you can even make an educated guess.

5) The maps change too much, and there are so many of them, that it is impossible for a casual player to develop any sort of familiarity with the battlefield.  In order to remain unspotted, you have to sit in a bush but in order to get shots you have to have line of sight.  The thing that keeps you from being spotted obscures the thing you need to do damage.

@Gneisenau013 there are lessons for the WoWs developer team here.  I used to see the clone premium ships and think "What a waste!".  After reflection on the topic, bring 'em on.  If they keep putting more new ship classes in the game, eventually they will not be able to properly balance them all.  We've already seen some power creep, and for my money the things done to correct that have been the right things to do for the most part.

Besides, the WoWs dev team has already proven that they are creative enough to introduce things besides just new ships that keep the game fresh and interesting.

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
128 posts
2,223 battles

I do like that the WoWs community is generally more positive and that the moderators on the forum keep the threads on a tighter reign. 

The community contributors here are really good and the Little White Mouse reviews are invaluable.  WoT needs an equivalent though that would be a gigantic task. 

Co-op battles are a good thing; I'd like to see the same thing in WoT up to tier 5 maybe, and with the same reduced xp and credits factor.

Ranked battles here are pretty easy to join and as soon as I figure how to do less dumb things, I might even be decent at them.

The real factor though of why I have been playing more WoWs is that I have more room to grow in this game.  In WoT, I have 160ish tanks, 30+ of which are tier 10s.  In this game, I've 30ish ships with only 1 being a tier 8.

Othet than that, I like both games equally and don't worry about stuff like RNG, match making and sigma.  As long as everyone has those same factors and those who make intelligent decisions on how to mitigate those factors generally come out ahead, I'm good with it.

And oh, one more thing.  Both of these games are quite enjoyable so as I play my way down a tech tree, I don't ever encounter a grind.  I do focus on a ship or tank at times to complete their research, but there is no grind.  Grinds are something I do at work when I am not enjoying aspects of it but push thru anyways just to get to Friday.  In these games, I enjoy it all.

Members
325 posts
1 minute ago, pyantoryng said:

...assuming you don't get caught into the WoWP Forum Edition 2.0.x............

Don't even get me started on that toxic mess. There are people posting there on 2nd and 3rd accounts because they struck out. Some of them don't even play the game! They made a guy a CC who has a history of being one of the most disliked players on the NA server. Yeah..fun times in that game. I'll be staying in ships. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,948 posts
9,842 battles
9 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

I understand what you're saying, and I have an honest question - wouldn't that make the outer gun ranges of some ships completely useless?  If this is what you want as an end goal, wouldn't simply nerfing gun range be a simpler way to do it?

Good question. No it wouldn’t IMHO. Because a BB at 18k would be able to see another BB at 18k if they are line of sight. 

It would make cover a double edged sword. Want to camp your BB behind that island and fire over? Your targets are going to be limited. 

Are you a T8 light cruiser with only a 13k gun range? Don’t worry, that BB 20k away behind two islands can’t even see you. Only the 3 ship in front of you can.

Now that I think more, the radio range might have to be shorter. 6-7k perhaps? Would depend on the ship types. DD might have more. BBs less?

Edited by HazardDrake

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,329 posts
10,390 battles

left a comment on your wot thread. if the wot staff would ever get their heads out of their :etc_swear: and listen to constructive complaints they wouldn't be in this problem in the  first place.:fish_book:

the biggest problem with wot is its economy! it takes too long to get anywhere and grinds take waaaaaay to long. if they fixed that maybe people might come back.:cap_look:

[LEGIT]
Members
479 posts
6,780 battles

Thats the reason i left WoT.. I mean it took 6 months to get a T8 KV 4 in Tanks but here in WoWS it only took me the same 6 months to get my first T10 Yamato

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,636 posts
4,196 battles
5 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Good question. No it wouldn’t IMHO. Because a BB at 18k would be able to see another BB at 18k if they are line of sight. 

It would make cover a double edged sword. Want to camp your BB behind that island and fire over? Your targets are going to be limited. 

Are you a T8 light cruiser with only a 13k gun range? Don’t worry, that BB 20k away behind two islands can’t even see you. Only the 3 ship in front of you can.

Now that I think more, the radio range might have to be shorter. 6-7k perhaps? Would depend on the ship types. DD might have more. BBs less?

Ah!  I didn't think of it that way.  You may be on to something there...

[-AH-]
Members
40 posts
3,355 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

WoWP is a game never to be spoken of. I played it before and after 2.0 and it is still the same joke it was before. War Thunder is the game for those who want good aircraft gameplay. But many argue that with War Thunder having ships, tanks, and planes that WoT, WoWs, and WoWP are out dated and obsolete.