You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
lungiwear

Helping Potatoes

43 comments in this topic

[BUOY]
Members
325 posts
3,432 battles

Ahoy captains!

I am frustrated at the quality of potatoes ive been getting in randoms lately... all doing kamikaze suicidal rushes and not helping the team at all. I wonder why...

I joined this games 6 months ago and my WR was 42% at the start. I was a potato, however I invested the time to learn the game and mechanics and now I have a WR of 53% and PR of good. I aim to get better hopefully with time.

Some tips I would like to give beginner and potatoes alike:

1) Dont choose BB as the first ship type to play when starting out! I know its tempting with all that armor and HP, but you will suffer a lot and wont learn much. try playing Cruisers so you learn how to be careful with your HP and everything. BBs are nice, however when starting out you need to learn the shooting tactics. I played BBs when I started out and my WR suffered because I was a bad player. I switched to cruisers and DDs and i found my playstyle and am doing good now

2) Learn shooting! This game shooting might seem simple, but its not as you keep advancing the ship tiers. you need to learn to angle, aim. In higher tiers you also need to learn when to shoot and which target to shoot

3) Watch the minimap! Always keep track of the enemy ship positions, you can even have a tentative guess where an unspotted DD is in a general area and keep an eye on the capture points for DDs. You can turn on some map setting in battle by clicking the minimap setting icon ( you can see this in battle, and you need to press CTRL + mouse clock on the gear icon above minimap) and turn on last seen position and ship names on the minimap. always keep account of the enemy ships

4) higher tier gameplay differs alot from lower tiers. Please learn how to play your ship by playing in Co-OP first. you can also watch youtube tutorial videos on how some unicum players play that ship. You can learn a lot by those videos about map positioning and how to play your ship

5) dont suicide in a battle even if you are bottom tier. I have won countless battles where I was bottom tier and I earned top XP on my team. Dont underestimate your ships power. Most ships are quite balanced and handle fairly well.

Feel free to add to this list!

• Cool 2
  • Boring 5
  • Bad 1

[WOLF7]
Members
10,340 posts

92% of the player base never comes to the forums.

Of the 8% that do, only about 10% of them actually read the forums regularly.

Your concern has been an issue for three years, and is never going to change, because the vast majority of players are not involved in the game.

They come to sail ships and shoot stuff while watching shiny explosions, that's the extent of their involvement...:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[SYN]
Members
3,118 posts
14,306 battles

As the saying goes  "You can lead a horse to water....."

• Funny 1

[SPTR]
Members
25,964 posts
11,445 battles

Paste your posts to wows in their social media and discord and maybe more people of the player base will read it.

[-SYN-]
Alpha Tester
1,117 posts
4,715 battles

Oddly enough, when you call players a derogatory name like potato and state that you are undeniably better than them, said players tend to be less than receptive to offers of 'help'.

• Cool 6
  • Bad 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,552 posts
12,192 battles
1 hour ago, awiggin said:

Your concern has been an issue for three years, and is never going to change, because the vast majority of players are not involved in the game.

They come to sail ships and shoot stuff while watching shiny explosions, that's the extent of their involvement...:Smile_teethhappy:

Was in my Des Moines tonight and had 2 3 man div sync drop into our side...

First guy out, Moskva spamming for support as he Yolo rushes into B....

Why????

Now I'm pure 48% potato and lack the skills to position myself on maps correctly and am overly aggressive.  Not that match.

214k damage, 2 kills 2 mil potential....

We won, but it wasn't because of me or that Moskva.

The hardest thing to learn: when to push and where... choose wrong and it's a yolo...

[KP]
Members
39 posts
7,583 battles

Well I think if the players realised if they stay alive longer they can get their damage and a whole lot more, instead of rushing in an attempt to pile numbers on the damage counter. Ride to survive  :Smile_medal:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
731 posts
4,019 battles

Ok.  PSA here.  I am a PvE main (3000+ battles) but have decided to give randoms (<150 battles) another go.  If you see me on the high seas on your team, please be aware that I know how to follow orders and will attempt to the best of my admittedly limited ability to aid my teammates with any objective.  I want to win.  More importantly, I want to be a good teammate.

I am open to constructive criticism (CONSTRUCTIVE) and am eager to learn to NOT be a potato.  I would say that I am actually a pretty good PvE player and that I have a passing knowledge of the game mechanics.

So please, help a brother out when you see me. 

Members
3,999 posts
14,802 battles
2 hours ago, Camo68 said:

As the saying goes  "You can lead a horse to water....."

Or... "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

However, for someone new to the game and learning how to play it, I recommend starting out driving BBs. The reason; BBs are the most forgiving class and don't take as much skill to effectively use as Cruisers or DDs. :Smile_hiding: I'm not slamming on BB drivers, it does take skill to effectively drive BBs, but it takes a lot more skill to effectively drive Cruisers and DDs. IMHO, new players should take it easy driving a fairly easy class until they're comfortable with the game.

9 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Ok.  PSA here.  I am a PvE main (3000+ battles) but have decided to give randoms (<150 battles) another go.  If you see me on the high seas on your team, please be aware that I know how to follow orders and will attempt to the best of my admittedly limited ability to aid my teammates with any objective.  I want to win.  More importantly, I want to be a good teammate.

I am open to constructive criticism (CONSTRUCTIVE) and am eager to learn to NOT be a potato.  I would say that I am actually a pretty good PvE player and that I have a passing knowledge of the game mechanics.

So please, help a brother out when you see me. 

Well now, I'd be de-lighted to help ya pard! If you're on the Red team, I'll gladly help you to quickly return to port. :cap_rambo::Smile_smile:

What class do you mainly play?

Edited by ReddNekk

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
731 posts
4,019 battles
23 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

Or... "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

However, for someone new to the game and learning how to play it, I recommend starting out driving BBs. The reason; BBs are the most forgiving class and don't take as much skill to effectively use as Cruisers or DDs. :Smile_hiding: I'm not slamming on BB drivers, it does take skill to effectively drive BBs, but it takes a lot more skill to effectively drive Cruisers and DDs. IMHO, new players should take it easy driving a fairly easy class until they're comfortable with the game.

Well now, I'd be de-lighted to help ya pard! If you're on the Red team, I'll gladly help you to quickly return to port. :cap_rambo::Smile_smile:

What class do you mainly play?

Cruisers first, then Battleships.  When I random, I take out a BB.  I like to play Isizuchi at tier 4.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
731 posts
4,019 battles
3 hours ago, Bradzzz said:

@Captain_Slattery Hi! you more then welcome to join us KP guys for some game time! Drop us a message ingame if you keen :cap_like:

Thanks for the invitation.  I'll keep an eye out for you guys in game.  :)

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
2,772 posts
15,761 battles
6 hours ago, lungiwear said:

3) Watch the minimap! Always keep track of the enemy ship positions, you can even have a tentative guess where an unspotted DD is in a general area and keep an eye on the capture points for DDs. You can turn on some map setting in battle by clicking the minimap setting icon ( you can see this in battle, and you need to press CTRL + mouse clock on the gear icon above minimap) and turn on last seen position and ship names on the minimap. always keep account of the enemy ships

I would start by making the minimap big enough so you pay attention to it first. Hit the + key once or twice. Situational awareness is the key to winning. Being citadeled, torped and burnt from a direction you never see coming is the key to losing.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
731 posts
4,019 battles
1 hour ago, DakotaViking said:

Saw you in game tonight @Captain_Slattery, (remembered the name), don't recall anything about it, good or bad.

I remember.  I was in my Cossack, I think.  Your name is distinctive.  

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
731 posts
4,019 battles
1 minute ago, Bill_Halsey said:

I would start by making the minimap big enough so you pay attention to it first. Hit the + key once or twice. Situational awareness is the key to winning. Being citadeled, torped and burnt from a direction you never see coming is the key to losing.

I have mine covering about 1/4 of my screen.  I clock it pretty regularly.

Beta Testers
1,324 posts
8,406 battles
8 hours ago, awiggin said:

So, those of us, like the OP, who make at least some effort to try and reach out and give advice to improve the matches, should just do nothing but complain?

Seems a bit foolish to me.

[TDRB]
Members
1,299 posts
4,971 battles
5 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

So, those of us, like the OP, who make at least some effort to try and reach out and give advice to improve the matches, should just do nothing but complain?

Seems a bit foolish to me.

There is enough toxicity in the chat & forum that most ignore advice that is not requested. Does your free advice come from exasperation & frustration or out of a serious attempt to help?

They come to sail ships and shoot stuff while watching shiny explosions, that's the extent of their involvement...

This^^^^^^^^

Judging by what I read in this forum many of the more serious players believe randoms is for the better players only, sort of their private domain. WG only requirement is that a player reach level 3. Also they provide premium ships that can be purchased so a player may jump T8 instantly. 

[PVE]
Members
6,413 posts
11,376 battles
8 hours ago, KingCakeBaby said:

Oddly enough, when you call players a derogatory name like potato and state that you are undeniably better than them, said players tend to be less than receptive to offers of 'help'.

This ^^^. The title of this thread alone would turn off most people who aren't good and want help. 

1st step in actually wanting to help someone is not insulting them.

Don't know who came up with the term potato for WOWS but I hate it and how it is used. I am not a PC type person or a snowflake either. BUt that term is nothing but derogatory. Wish people would stop using it.

• Cool 3

[ADOPT]
Members
91 posts
2,695 battles

I think this game needs a training wheel mode, the last few days have been brutal for me where teams fall apart (mine or the red).

Players who have 1k battles in a t8 bb with avg. damage of less than 10k, needs game mode where they can work on blowing stuff up more before playing in the big leagues.  If you want to sail around and blow stuff up for fun that is fine, but when you do so little damage over this many battles, how can you blow anything up? lol

Edited by mixmkz

[H_]
Members
908 posts

I really wish people would get over the use of win loss rates as some sort of measure of skill....  44 or 55 mean little or anything in a game that you are 100% tied to the other 23 players......  Your skill means nothing if those 23 players decide to "snatch a loss from the jaws of victory..."   Nothing........even if you were #1 on your losing team.

OP: good try and thanks but, "GuD" isn't a percentage.....  Good is if you are having fun !   And, WG doesn't calculate a metric for "fun".....  It's why I'm only really playing COOP now.....   Randoms and ranked "just aren't fun anymore..."

Members
25 posts
1,660 battles

I think I am really still a potato when it comes to strategy so that is it......Strategy...that is what is lacking in MHO. We need to know what to do when the bell rings....and I mean in detail. If I am a Battleship, what is my purpose....do I sit back...do I charge in, do I hide, where should I hide,  should I follow someone to support, from where do I support a destroyer or cruiser, should I ever capture a flag and if I do, what do I do then, sit and get clobbered? How fast should I travel and why am I traveling anyway, where am I going?  How often should I start a game with a set of waypoints or should I use them at all?

This is getting to be a laundry list, forgive me, I'm a potato.

Does everyone use the control button to reposition waypoints while zoomed out? Should I use the WP's at all? 

How often should I sail in a straight line if ever....what is kiting? what angles should I try to maintain to defend myself against a charging monster with huge hit points to burn....should I run, should I reverse, should I ram. Should I just sit there out of range taking pot shots from 20 miles...…..speaking of shooting, should I be firing off as many support rounds as my ship is capable, how much patience do I need?

Sorry, I'll stop now. We need a strategy before every battle, and we have to make last minute adjustments to suit the map (a whole other science I am sure) I'd like to know my duties and responsibilities from beginning to end.  If someone started the process of detailing the various strategies here in the forum I'm sure there would be a big audience of dumb, anxious potatoes like me.

cheers!

[ARGSY]
Members
7,109 posts
4,839 battles
8 hours ago, KingCakeBaby said:

when you call players a derogatory name like potato

Learn the meaning of "self-deprecation".

I have a 50% win rate and still call myself a seal-potato. If you can't be self-deprecating in this game, you need to get a life.

• Boring 1

[THOR]
Members
105 posts
3,620 battles

I welcome anybody to look over my stats and offer suggestions. I am starting to get some mechanics. Tier 10 is difficult for me. 7 and 8 I like. Z52 and yueyang I do Ok. So I went down to lower cruisers to grind to learn more. I wAtch constant videos and wife think  its funny I enjoy the CC Videos.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
258 posts
1,099 battles
10 hours ago, lungiwear said:

I am frustrated at the quality of potatoes ive been getting in randoms lately... all doing kamikaze suicidal rushes and not helping the team at all. I wonder why...

Dont suicide in a battle even if you are bottom tier. I have won countless battles where I was bottom tier and I earned top XP on my team. Dont underestimate your ships power. Most ships are quite balanced and handle fairly well.

You know that is a hard one for me.  I play DD all the time and I:

A) Want to cap so I have some guaranteed points

B) Everyone complains if you are not in the front spotting targets for BB's

C) It is just fun to live on the edge with everyone shooting at you kiting for your life

D) Games where you play it safe feels like you contribute nothing to the game

That said my best games are ones where I live until the end which I know but I still find myself dying way too early for reasons above. 

So I would not say it is "suicide" as much and learning how to balance enjoyment and performance.