You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
FlakKnight

Suggestion - Test Drive Scenario

8 comments in this topic

[-S-R-]
[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
414 posts
2,516 battles

Given the rarity of certain currency, limited purchase windows and other time factors, I hope WG will consider adding a test drive for all ships.  It could be very simple solo scenario, say a few stationary ships of various types, a few moving, a few active bots that shoot at you and try to torp you when you enter a cap circle, etc.

It would be a great way to be able to test an expensive premium or reward ship just to get a feel for how it handles for a few minutes before taking the plunge to spend or grind a line.  I also think it would give some new players a better way to see the ultimate goal rather than get frustrated by a tier 2 or 3 being garbage and not knowing what to do.

If could also be used as an "obstacle course" for CCs to directly compare changes and new ships for audiences, sort of like the lap times on Top Gear or American Gladiator or what not, a set of familiar challenges people can see rather than the chaos of random battles.  For Tier X, something like destroy the Khaba patrolling at 10K, take out the broadside Yamato in time, kill a Zao at 15K, kill 3 cruisers in a cap before they cap it and run a Shima torp gauntlet and BB shelling you to the finish line.  Maybe add some scoring based on each trial.

Members
79 posts
16,361 battles
4 minutes ago, FlakKnight said:

Given the rarity of certain currency, limited purchase windows and other time factors, I hope WG will consider adding a test drive for all ships.  It could be very simple solo scenario, say a few stationary ships of various types, a few moving, a few active bots that shoot at you and try to torp you when you enter a cap circle, etc.

It would be a great way to be able to test an expensive premium or reward ship just to get a feel for how it handles for a few minutes before taking the plunge to spend or grind a line.  I also think it would give some new players a better way to see the ultimate goal rather than get frustrated by a tier 2 or 3 being garbage and not knowing what to do.

If could also be used as an "obstacle course" for CCs to directly compare changes and new ships for audiences, sort of like the lap times on Top Gear or American Gladiator or what not, a set of familiar challenges people can see rather than the chaos of random battles.  For Tier X, something like destroy the Khaba patrolling at 10K, take out the broadside Yamato in time, kill a Zao at 15K, kill 3 cruisers in a cap before they cap it and run a Shima torp gauntlet and BB shelling you to the finish line.  Maybe add some scoring based on each trial.

This is already possible using the 'Training' room.  That's where I got the hang of using CV's.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,329 posts
9,636 battles
4 minutes ago, CrymsonKyng said:

This is already possible using the 'Training' room.  That's where I got the hang of using CV's.

Yeah but you have to have a ship in your port to play it. The OP is talking about a test drive and I like the idea but would want the number you can do a day limited.

• Cool 2

[-DZ-]
Members
452 posts
23,339 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

Yeah but you have to have a ship in your port to play it. The OP is talking about a test drive and I like the idea but would want the number you can do a day limited.

Agreed 

[-DZ-]
Members
452 posts
23,339 battles

@FlakKnight I'm sure you are referring to something like test drive/flight in this 1 horrible rival to WG, and I think it is an amazing idea,  but doing it stock on the not researched tech tree ships (for play style purposes......) would also be a good idea as well. What would you think?

Spoiler

The horrible game being war thunder 

[-S-R-]
[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
414 posts
2,516 battles

Well I don't play that game so I'm not really familiar with it.

My particular quandary is with the Kronshtadt.  It's going away in 2 months.  It costs a lot of FXP.  I can read the stats and hypothesize, I can watched cherry picked battles on YouTube which showcase it doing amazing things in those circumstances, I can shoot them in game, but ultimately I have no idea whether it is worth such a princely sum given my own preferences.

I was just thinking it would be nice to take it on a test drive course and see how it compares to say a similar BB and 203 cruiser, and whether or not I could cope with the poor handling. 

[-DZ-]
Members
452 posts
23,339 battles
4 hours ago, FlakKnight said:

Well I don't play that game so I'm not really familiar with it.

My particular quandary is with the Kronshtadt.  It's going away in 2 months.  It costs a lot of FXP.  I can read the stats and hypothesize, I can watched cherry picked battles on YouTube which showcase it doing amazing things in those circumstances, I can shoot them in game, but ultimately I have no idea whether it is worth such a princely sum given my own preferences.

I was just thinking it would be nice to take it on a test drive course and see how it compares to say a similar BB and 203 cruiser, and whether or not I could cope with the poor handling. 

Understandable