Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Ahab1776

Interchangeable USN BB and CA captains

8 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
Members
455 posts
6,893 battles

I chose to go the USN line first once joining WOWS. Currently I don't have any premium USN BB's but I do have a premium USN CA the Indianapolis. It appears in the USN BB and CA lines the captain skills are interchangeable T6 and up. Basically both benefit from the same general captain skills. Thought about switching BB captains to the Indianapolis to build up the skill points faster without the retraining penalty. Anybody else do this? 

Thanks! 

Members
1,130 posts
8,400 battles

I suppose there is probably some general build you could use. But my USN capts all vary slightly.

19pt Capt Massachusetts - Nothing I can switch this with. He is purposely built for this secondary ship

19pt Capt USN CL - Purpose built for the CLs

16pt Capt USN CA vs my 14 Capt USN BB

My CA uses DE. BBs will not. BBs are somewhat survival builds so I have used FP on my BBs, not sure If I will as I retrain this capt (19pt mass was originally my AZ/MO capt) with that build I originally used. 

[WOLF9]
Members
3,360 posts

If Indy is what you got to work with,  You can make do.

I also tend to tailor make captains for certain ships- usually for lines that aren't linear from one end to the other.  (like the French BB's, or the IJN BB's both have some big changes in style as you work up the tier.  Ijn does it by mixing in "real" BB's with battlecruiser type ships.  The French just have some oddballs in there...)   On more homogenous lines, like US BB's  I have 2 "good" ones:  A survivability captain- mainly for Nor-Cal, and an AA captain.   The line is similar enough all the way up, that I can use either in my premium BB's w/o a problem.  Mitigating damage and punching things in the face with AP is what USN BB's do.  AA also in the mid to high tiers.   Enhance those 3 in some combination, and it usually works.

US CA's can also benefit from that build.   No torps to worry about, or any funny gimmicks- and the AP is good enough that I rarely switch to HE unless it's to flash fry some BB that insists on pointing his bow at me.  (or long range fire)   USN CA's aren't that dependant on captain skills- the same ones you take to improve your BB gun performance are also valuable here.  And that Superintendant skill that gives your BB an extra heal  gives your Indy another radar; another defensive fire; etc.

I'd be careful using CL captains on a CA like Indy, though.   Those are two very different builds and playstyles.   It wouldn't HURT your Indy, per se, but skills like IFHE are totally worthless on 8" guns- and totally required on the 6".   And a recommended CA build would hurt your damage dealing capability if switched to a CL.

• Cool 2

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
199 posts
4,867 battles

I find that the core 10-pt USN CA commander skills, PT-EM (or AR)-SI-CE work well with USN BBs, and I've frequently used my Buffalo commander in my premium USN BBs. This holds true if you decide to go AA build since both lines have pretty strong AA suites.

[PHU]
Beta Testers
214 posts
3,800 battles

You can make a battleship and heavy cruiser captain somewhat interchangeable if you use a generic build.  My 19 point USN captain is currently built for battleships, but I've put him on Indy more than a few times for the elite XP benefits.  Most skills used in the builds for both types of ship are okay for swapping a captain around.  It may not be optimal for the ship, but you can make it work.

[PVE]
Members
234 posts
5,684 battles
9 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I chose to go the USN line first once joining WOWS. Currently I don't have any premium USN BB's but I do have a premium USN CA the Indianapolis. It appears in the USN BB and CA lines the captain skills are interchangeable T6 and up. Basically both benefit from the same general captain skills. Thought about switching BB captains to the Indianapolis to build up the skill points faster without the retraining penalty. Anybody else do this? 

Thanks! 

my ex-cleveland (now pensacola) captain makes guest appearances on Texas, Arizona, Atlanta, Indianapolis, and Sims to harvest first win of the day. Doesn't get much action on the Pensacola itself.

[PQUOD]
Members
455 posts
6,893 battles
6 hours ago, evanr1940 said:

my ex-cleveland (now pensacola) captain makes guest appearances on Texas, Arizona, Atlanta, Indianapolis, and Sims to harvest first win of the day. Doesn't get much action on the Pensacola itself.

lol

[DRACS]
Members
3,637 posts

I like to spec both my USN BB and USN CA captains the same way: heavily AA based. So my USN BB captain has PT, EM, AR, SI, BFT, AFT, CE. That same captain would have zero problems being a heavy cruiser captain. I don't take DE on USN heavy cruisers simply due to diminishing returns of DE on heavy shells, as well as sheer power of USN heavy cruiser AP.

On the other hand, USN light cruisers would need a very different set of skills due to fire spamming with 152mm shells ... hence, DE and IFHE. So that captain would not work with BBs.

Sign in to follow this