You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Xanthro

Please fix the Glue Islands

11 comments in this topic

[DENY]
Members
256 posts
6,961 battles

Having islands glue you when you have a ships width between you and the island is just a silly mechanic. These little trap spots do nothing but add frustration and stupidity to the game. No player should be hit by a shell, then get stuck on an island and have to spend 30+ seconds trying to get free.

Wins and losses should not be determined by random luck of having islands grab you. Just eliminate that on all maps.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
2,920 posts
1,365 battles

Navigate a little better?

I mean, I know what you mean, ive seen my uncle get stuck on an island and spent a whole game before the island puked him up. 

I find hitting the island straight on is much better than going full Titanic on them.  I havent been stuck on an island any time I just ram it, if im going to hit one.

[DENY]
Members
256 posts
6,961 battles
3 minutes ago, KnightFandragon said:

Navigate a little better?

I mean, I know what you mean, ive seen my uncle get stuck on an island and spent a whole game before the island puked him up. 

I find hitting the island straight on is much better than going full Titanic on them.  I havent been stuck on an island any time I just ram it, if im going to hit one.

It's not a matter of navigation, you have a ship's width between you and the island, and shells actually move you. There are a number of spots on islands where you are grabbed by unmarked underwater obstacles, and some of these are near impossible to get out of if you are in a small ship and get hit near one.

Many battles take place where you have no choice but to huge an island, running into the island is one thing, but having the islands trap you is another.

• Funny 1

Members
2,920 posts
1,365 battles
12 minutes ago, Xanthro said:

It's not a matter of navigation, you have a ship's width between you and the island, and shells actually move you. There are a number of spots on islands where you are grabbed by unmarked underwater obstacles, and some of these are near impossible to get out of if you are in a small ship and get hit near one.

Many battles take place where you have no choice but to huge an island, running into the island is one thing, but having the islands trap you is another.

Your bottoming out on the island, you know islands have shallow sloping ground under them, that extend out quite a ways.  Its honestly just another reason WoWS is derpy...ships try to avoid land contact, but here we hug it, and get stuck...

[CVA16]
Members
2,466 posts
10,153 battles
20 minutes ago, KnightFandragon said:

Its the times when you really think you can make that turn but guess wrong and end up stuck broadside (usually with the entire red team marking you as priority target). Rule is if there is any doubt, ram the island at full speed. You get to the island faster and it is much quicker to back off after you stop.

As to the OPs question. I don't think I have ever noticed being pushed sideways by hits or shooting the guns. More than likely it is the fishtail motion of a turn that swings you on. I have gotten stuck this way as I fishtail into a spot with obstacles/outcroppings fore and aft (like those car stunts where they slide neatly sideways into a parallel parking place just big enough for the car. Of course they never show how they would get out). This makes extraction a very long and arduous process (assuming the enemy gives you the time or the game doesn't end first). And yes, each such spot is a trap for only certain sized ships.

Edited by Sabot_100
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,477 posts
9,417 battles
26 minutes ago, KnightFandragon said:

I find hitting the island straight on is much better than going full Titanic on them.

Quote of the day right there.  Hilarious!

[PLPT]
Members
760 posts
7,296 battles

WG will remove sticky spots from the map. If you got stuck, send them a video or screenshot and they’ll update the map.

[RLGN]
Members
8,689 posts
17,952 battles

Had this happen in the Sub Op.

I could submerge, and surface again, but it took forever to be able to move again.

Even underwater I couldn’t see what I was stuck on...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,317 posts
9,621 battles

You should have been around in alpha and closed beta when the islands, some of them invisible would reach out and grab you. Now getting hung up for a long time is very rare.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,597 posts
10,056 battles

Interesting how my destroyers slide sideways into them.... and get perma-stuck.

Then again, I've also had the pleasure of helping others off these reefs....   GOING DOWN ???