You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JCC45

The End of the Tin Foil Hat Era is Nigh.

27 comments in this topic

[YORHA]
Members
3,549 posts

Replays will now be either automatically enabled or easy to enable (WG not clear on this) in 7.11 and will keep the 30 most recent battles (adjustable).

This should help cut down on the "OMG HAXORZ!!!111!!!" posts.  Well.. it won't cut down on them, but they will be easier to refute.

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
Just now, JCC45 said:

Replays will now be either automatically enabled or easy to enable (WG not clear on this) in 7.11 and will keep the 30 most recent battles (adjustable).

This should help cut down on the "OMG HAXORZ!!!111!!!" posts.  Well.. it won't cut down on them, but they will be easier to refute.

They are easy to refute now considering there is never video. Now we will be stuck telling people how to show us their replay, then watching it, just to get to the same conclusion of "L2P". 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
3,465 posts

Because this is what I want to spend my drive space on... disable, done.

(E:  Before anyone else replies, I've already been informed that these replays are not the Devourer, unlike with some other games.)

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
7,177 posts
4,874 battles
1 hour ago, Canadatron said:

considering there is never video.

Now at least there will be no excuse to not have video.

Members
39 posts
7,015 battles
19 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Replay files are small. From 250 kb to 4.5 mb (my smallest to largest) thirty of them will not use up much space.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
3,465 posts
Just now, Dan_M_1 said:

Replay files are small. From 250 kb to 4.5 mb (my smallest to largest) thirty of them will not use up much space.

Huh.

The last video game I enabled replays for threatened to swamp the drive... so that's good to know.

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Now at least there will be no excuse to not have video.

"It was like, 31 games ago, bro!"

There. I've already got an excuse lined up for you.

Members
63 posts
704 battles
2 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

"It was like, 31 games ago, bro!"

There. I've already got an excuse lined up for you.

2) The problem didn't show up in the replay, which proves it was a hax!

3) Well of course the WG replay didn't show evidence of the malicious WG code!

4) etc.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,177 posts
4,874 battles
11 minutes ago, Dan_M_1 said:

This, and they can be purged every time a patch drops anyway. Unless you are one of those mad people who has an un-updated copy of every local client since release, in which case worrying about a bunch of replays on your drive is probably not among your priorities.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,363 battles
17 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Huh.

The last video game I enabled replays for threatened to swamp the drive... so that's good to know.

WoWS Replays are small.  If anything, Screenshots taken are much larger than the Replay itself.  I could have a large stash of Replays from months worth of gaming and they'd be taking far less space than a few Screenshots.  I actually have to purge Screenshots frequently to cut down on the size they take, Replays less so.

[WOLF7]
Members
10,359 posts
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Huh.

That game stored actual video.All WG does is store data, which is both good and bad.

The disappearing ship issue from last year could not be proven by replay video, since the replay didn't record the glitch, the ships would show up normally in the replay. It required a live stream video to document.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,923 posts
2,724 battles

Replays usually show that what I think I saw I didn't see.  Otoh, a few times they've won me a contest with Support.

1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I have 1770 replays saved going back to Jan.  (Okay, I'm lazy.)

Total disk space occupied:  4.3GB. 

[SALVO]
Members
17,707 posts
18,486 battles
34 minutes ago, awiggin said:

That game stored actual video.All WG does is store data, which is both good and bad.

The disappearing ship issue from last year could not be proven by replay video, since the replay didn't record the glitch, the ships would show up normally in the replay. It required a live stream video to document.

Another downside to replays being stored as  data is that the replay files can only play on a client of the same version number.  Arguably, it'd be nice if replays were saved as video files, though then you'd lose the ability to so anything other than watch the replay as a video from the player's own perspective.  Saving replays as video files would detach them from needing a client of the same version number, and make them watchable as long as the video file was playable.

[SALVO]
Members
17,707 posts
18,486 battles
3 hours ago, JCC45 said:

It'll be good to have replays available. Personally, I'd probably only want to save no more than the 5 most recent battles, if that.  My way of thinking has been if I've fought a battle that was worthy of keeping the replay, I'd immediately go into the replays folder and rename the replay to keep it safe.

Alpha Tester
5,357 posts
2,572 battles
3 hours ago, Belthorian said:

I am NEVER giving up my Tin Foil Fedora. 

tin-foil-fedora-because-crazy-doesnt-have-to-be-tacky-2789662.png

Unless you're Indiana Jones, Humphrey Bogart, or Perry the Platypus, don't EVER wear a fedora. It'll make people think you're a creep.

[CVA16]
Members
2,462 posts
10,153 battles
11 minutes ago, Crucis said:

My way of thinking has been if I've fought a battle that was worthy of keeping the replay, I'd immediately go into the replays folder and rename the replay to keep it safe.

But would you be able to play that replay after the next patch?

Members
19,030 posts
5,347 battles
3 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

Unless you're Indiana Jones, Humphrey Bogart, or Perry the Platypus, don't EVER wear a fedora. It'll make people think you're a creep.

The Chairman of the Board was no creep.....

[SALVO]
Members
17,707 posts
18,486 battles
Just now, Sabot_100 said:

But would you be able to play that replay after the next patch?

No.

Alpha Tester
5,357 posts
2,572 battles
Just now, Skpstr said:

The Chairman of the Board was no creep.....

But the neckbeards on Reddit most certainly are.

• Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,315 posts
9,621 battles
2 hours ago, Dan_M_1 said:

2 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Huh.

The 20 replays that are in my Replay folder total 35.9 MB or 1.8 MB each and with the current manual system I clear them out every week or so. I am looking forward to having them self delete although I will likely set the deletion time to something shorter like 7 days.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,676 posts
2,358 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Replays usually show that what I think I saw I didn't see.  Otoh, a few times they've won me a contest with Support.

I have 1770 replays saved going back to Jan.  (Okay, I'm lazy.)

Total disk space occupied:  4.3GB. 

Tomorrow, before you play a game, just ctrl A and then delete. Extra 4.3 GB (not that it matters). TBH I think I have few patches worth of replays lying around now myself, should get rid of those tomorrow.