You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ace6steel

Yubari: Is she worth the coal?

40 comments in this topic

[SPTR]
Members
1,650 posts
2,269 battles

So I've had the Yubari for a decent amount of time and she is a good ship when played right. Granted most of my matches in it had a CV in it allowing me to use the DFAA quite a bit. The Yubari is the lowest tier ship to have access to DFAA, and considering the CV tiers she faces she will be able to handle herself quite well. Superintendent is mandatory if you want to carry more DFAA charges as the stock DFAA gets only 2 charges (unless you use DFAA II with 2 charges [3 with superintendent]). Even without DFAA active i would expect 1 or 2 planes being shot down, not many mind you but it is one less plane on the CV.

The ship itself is essentially like an over-sized destroyer with it's handling and speed. The fishes are a bit underwhelming range-wise in my opinion but they hit hard. The launch angle of your fishes requires you to go full broadside, not good offensively but good for a defensive full-rudder retreat. You turn, drop fishes, and use your speed to outrun your foe.

I have yet to see what the concealment expert skill does for the ship with its 10km detect radius. I would recommend BFT and AFT if you are either training an AA captain for the ship, or training a Battleship captain. Torpedo armament expert is a good idea as well if you plan on keeping your captain on the ship (which i plan doing after training a DD and BB captain).

Gun range is low and gun power is even lower. You have 2x2 140mm guns that take 6.5 seconds to reload, adrenaline rush is a good idea for DPM gain. The ship has no armor to speak of further reinforcing the "Over-sized Destroyer" play style and another reason why adrenaline rush is a good idea. The HE shells themselves are questionable but have a good fire chance. Further details about the ship here: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Yūbari

Upgrades: you should take Aiming Systems Mod. 0 and Damage Control Mod. 1

For details read here: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Yūbari

Current stats with the ship:

image.thumb.png.2824c20766be886420c58a248eff48f7.png

I know the WR may seem bad but that was a result of teams altogether failing

Note: These stats may change due to amount of play time I commit to this ship

What is your opinion of this oddity of a T4?

-Ace6steel

• Cool 1

[HEROS]
Members
1,449 posts
12,386 battles

she's an oddball but I certain;y wouldn't mind having her.

She has cousins too!

At tier III is the "training" cruiser "Katori".  Then you have Yubari at tier IV  and shortly coming in at tier V will be Yahagi.  And If you think Yubari is a big over sized DD wait untill you get Yahagi!  Other then the float plane and catapult for same she could be mistaken for a Kagero class DD  (only bigger!)

Humm you know if they give Yahagi the same Aiming Systems Mod 0 that Katori and Yubari have she might just be one nasty hand full...  I know how well I do with the guns on the Katori.

[SPTR]
Members
1,650 posts
2,269 battles
8 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

She has cousins too!

At tier III is the "training" cruiser "Katori".  Then you have Yubari at tier IV  and shortly coming in at tier V will be Yahagi.  And If you think Yubari is a big over sized DD wait untill you get Yahagi!  Other then the float plane and catapult for same she could be mistaken for a Kagero class DD  (only bigger!)

Humm you know if they give Yahagi the same Aiming Systems Mod 0 that Katori and Yubari have she might just be one nasty hand full...  I know how well I do with the guns on the Katori.

Edit: Yahagi is an Agano-class CL with 6 152mm guns. Aiming systems mod. 0? uh yes please!

also seen many suggestion to either a BC line to the tech trees or a CL split for the IJN like the USN

Katori i hear is pretty nice but the only thing that drives people away from it is the lackluster speed

the Yahagi does indeed seem like an over-sized Kagero in a way im assuming the fishes may have close to 8~10 km range depending on caliber

would like some DFAA because the Agano-Class CL's had some decent AA

Edited by Ace6steel
looked it up

[SPTR]
Members
1,650 posts
2,269 battles
11 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

She has cousins too!

any idea on the possible stats of the Yahagi?

Edited by Ace6steel

[HEROS]
Members
1,449 posts
12,386 battles

The Agano class starts WW-II with 2 triple mount 25mm.. in 1943, 44, and 45 she gets a bunch of single mount 25mm added.  Lots of volume but not a lot of range.  Yahagi will have 10k fish.. Basically they're the same torps as the base tier 8 and up 10k's.  Her guns how ever are only 6RPM which with only 6 152's total is going to leave yer seriously out gunned so yea, the A.S. Mod 0 is a good candidate for her if they start her with pretty much her historical capability (which I believe they are going to!)

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
734 posts
4,019 battles

I paid cash for mine and I'm happy with her.  Coal would be an even easier sale, I would think.

I needed a IJN cruiser trainer and she was "cheap as chips".  Good deal.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,231 posts
9,570 battles
14 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

She has cousins too!

The Japanese CL's are all older ships with tonnages in the 4,000 to 5,000 ton range and were always looked at as Destroyer Leaders.

She is worth the $14 - $15 that she costs when in the premium shop, the doubloons when in the tech tree, and the coal. It is a fun ship and a great low tier trainer and having useful AA is a plus.

[SPTR]
Members
1,650 posts
2,269 battles
3 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

I paid cash for mine and I'm happy with her.  Coal would be an even easier sale, I would think.

same here i'm just using her to train some captains for my IJN tree

you could also train a BB captain in it

[HEROS]
Members
1,449 posts
12,386 battles

60 mm belt, 50-55mm turrets and barbette area and conning tower.  20mm everywhere else.  35 knot top speed.  HP about 3/4 of that of the Furutaka (ie: not much). 2x4 centerline mounter torpedo racks 10k range, 67 knots 20k plus warhead. 3x2 152mm DP main guns with 300 degreee arcs.. 4xs 127mm DP secondaries. 2x3 25mm AA.

sub 12 second rudder shift, and around a 500 meter turn radius.   The main guns historically only managed 6rounds per minute.. Manually loaded!, so really hoping she does getthe A.S. Mod 0

[SPTR]
Members
1,650 posts
2,269 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

The Japanese CL's are all older ships with tonnages in the 4,000 to 5,000 ton range and were always looked at as Destroyer Leaders.

She is worth the $14 - $15 that she costs when in the premium shop, the doubloons when in the tech tree, and the coal. It is a fun ship and a great low tier trainer and having useful AA is a plus.

i agree that she is worth it

she also makes an excellent universal trainer

can train DD, CL, CA, and BB captains

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
734 posts
4,019 battles
3 hours ago, Ace6steel said:

same here i'm just using her to train some captains for my IJN tree

you could also train a BB captain in it

I guess you could.  I never thought about it.  That's what I usually use my Musa for.  Options is good!

[SPTR]
Members
1,650 posts
2,269 battles
1 minute ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

60 mm belt, 50-55mm turrets and barbette area and conning tower.  20mm everywhere else.  35 knot top speed.  HP about 3/4 of that of the Furutaka (ie: not much). 2x4 centerline mounter torpedo racks 10k range, 67 knots 20k plus warhead. 3x2 152mm DP main guns with 300 degreee arcs.. 4xs 127mm DP secondaries. 2x3 25mm AA.

sub 12 second rudder shift, and around a 500 meter turn radius.   The main guns historically only managed 6rounds per minute.. Manually loaded!, so really hoping she does getthe A.S. Mod 0

considering how AS 0 adds turret traverse speed and range i think they should offer it

with the low gun count maybe give it high dmg and fire chance like its T3 and 4 cousins?

[SPTR]
Members
1,650 posts
2,269 battles
1 minute ago, Captain_Slattery said:

I guess you could.  I never thought about it.  That's what I usually use my Musa for.  Options is good!

i just said that since the ship would benefit from BB skills

for instance: BFT, AFT, CE, EM, etc.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,231 posts
9,570 battles
2 minutes ago, Ace6steel said:

EM is pretty much a must for Japanese ships and even on the few that do have decent turret traverse it isn't a mistake.

[SPTR]
Members
1,650 posts
2,269 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

EM is pretty much a must for Japanese ships and even on the few that do have decent turret traverse it isn't a mistake.

definitely allows you to switch firing angles fairly quickly

especially on the 203mm mount ships

Edited by Ace6steel

[ARGSY]
Members
7,118 posts
4,839 battles
51 minutes ago, Ace6steel said:

I would recommend BFT and AFT if you are either training an AA captain for the ship, or training a Battleship captain.

Bear in mind when doing this that only her light AA and her single forward-facing secondary gun are boosted. Her main guns are 140mm calibre, and neither BFT nor AFT works on them.

DFAA can be very useful in co-op (which is where I mostly play mine), when you're chasing a carrier down and it's trying to spam its planes at you. T4 planes especially just don't have what it takes, and the DFAA melts them.

If you have a BFT and AFT captain, they can also be put to work with excellent effect in the mighty (:Smile_trollface:) Mikasa at Tier 2, turning her into a co-op slaughter-bote.

[SPTR]
Members
1,650 posts
2,269 battles
38 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

She has cousins too!

wait with the float plane Yahagi seems like a mix between katori, yubari, and Kagero

[SPTR]
Members
1,650 posts
2,269 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Bear in mind when doing this that only her light AA and her single forward-facing secondary gun are boosted. Her main guns are 140mm calibre, and neither BFT nor AFT works on them.

DFAA can be very useful in co-op (which is where I mostly play mine), when you're chasing a carrier down and it's trying to spam its planes at you. T4 planes especially just don't have what it takes, and the DFAA melts them.

If you have a BFT and AFT captain, they can also be put to work with excellent effect in the mighty (:Smile_trollface:) Mikasa at Tier 2, turning her into a co-op slaughter-bote.

yes but i said that as well because yubari is a good universal trainer (outside of CVs)

DFAA is actually pretty useful in random and ive had my fair share of chasing CVs down

i wish i had mikasa. With the setup it has its essentially a pirate ship with 4 12" guns 

[-K-]
Members
5,454 posts
9,396 battles
1 hour ago, Ace6steel said:

Granted most of my matches in it had a CV in it allowing me to use the DFAA quite a bit.

Problem is, she only has two charges of the DFAA consumable, which get used up pretty quick in the CV-heavy low tier matches.  Personally, I think she should get unlimited usage of DFAA like Atlanta.

49 minutes ago, Ace6steel said:

Edit: Yahagi is an Agano-class CL with 6 152mm guns. Aiming systems mod. 0? uh yes please!

Doubtful that will happen.  Aiming System Mod. 0 has only applied to 140mm IJN guns so far.

28 minutes ago, Ace6steel said:

As long as you are willing to accept that BFT and AFT add no benefits to her main guns.

[-GS-]
Beta Testers
1,902 posts
19,307 battles
38 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

I also paid cash and enjoy playing her when in the mood for a tier four ship

[SPTR]
Members
1,650 posts
2,269 battles
9 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Problem is, she only has two charges of the DFAA consumable, which get used up pretty quick in the CV-heavy low tier matches.  Personally, I think she should get unlimited usage of DFAA like Atlanta.

Doubtful that will happen.  Aiming System Mod. 0 has only applied to 140mm IJN guns so far.

As long as you are willing to accept that BFT and AFT add no benefits to her main guns.

i know there are no benefits for the guns but I am training for AA and use as a BB secondary build trainer

[SPTR]
Members
1,650 posts
2,269 battles
10 minutes ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

I also paid cash and enjoy playing her when in the mood for a tier four ship

she is a nice low-tier clubber when played right

haven't gotten a kraken with it yet but i've gotten some nice 3 kill games

Members
1,698 posts
5,134 battles
1 hour ago, Ace6steel said:

also seen many suggestion to either a BC line to the tech trees or a CL split for the IJN like the USN

Katori i hear is pretty nice but the only thing that drives people away from it is the lackluster speed

the Yahagi does indeed seem like an over-sized Kagero in a way im assuming the fishes may have close to 8~10 km range depending on caliber

would like some DFAA because the Agano-Class CL's had some decent AA

Yubari as a T4 cruiser is pretty much in over her head.  She's sort of a one off attempt by the IJN to build a cruiser that was under the tonnage range of the Washington Treaty so that they could build as many of them as they wanted without violating the treaty restrictions.  She is essentially an overgrown destroyer with no speed boost of smoke screen so she has all the fragility of a DD but without any help at hiding or getting away that a DD would possess. 

On the other hand, she is unique and it's kind of fun to try and figure out how to use her effectively so for those seeking a challenge or who just want to collect a neat ship, Yubari would be worth the coal. 

As far as Katori is concerned, if you mean "lackluster" as in "can't outrun a South Carolina" kind of lackluster, then yes, Katori has lackluster speed.  Other than Mikasa, any cruiser or battleship in the game can outrun her and usually by a good margin.  "Slow as a turtle" is not a desirable quality in a cruiser. 

I won both of these ships in events and I'm glad I have them, but OP or even just average, they are not. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel