You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HorrorRoach

New matchmaking algorithm for Tier 8-10

12 comments in this topic

[TARFU]
[TARFU]
Members
1,030 posts
6,386 battles

I remember Octavian saying that currently, because tier 10 used to be much lower in population, that the matchmaker grabs tier 10's first, then fills down... Which lead to a lot of tier 8's being the lone ship in a predominantly tier 9/10 matches. With 0.7.11, it's going to be the opposite? As in, it matches tier 8's, grabs them. If it runs out,  grabs tier 9s. If it can't find enough of those, it'll fill in the final places with tier 10?

This should be pretty interesting. Will tier 6 ships end up bottom tier more often in tier 7/8 matches? Or will this cause tier 8 to explode in popularity, and suck players down from tier 9/10, and up from tier 6/7? It's hard to imagine what the result is going to be. I'm picturing more matches that are almost all tier 8, and more that are almost all tier 9 with a few tier 10's mixed in. I'm also picturing tier 8 rounds with a few tier 9's mixed in... And finally, it'll be great being a tier 10 in more instances.

Why didn't they think of this sooner?

EJ

Edited by HorrorRoach

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,231 posts
9,570 battles

I saw that but it still doesn't address the real problem of there being far too many tier 10's in the queue because they are not money sinks for most people like over in WoT because of the permanent camouflage and flags.

[SPTR]
Members
1,650 posts
2,269 battles
37 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

I remember Octavian saying that currently, because tier 10 used to be much lower in population, that the matchmaker grabs tier 10's first, then fills down... Which lead to a lot of tier 8's being the lone ship in a predominantly tier 9/10 matches. With 0.7.11, it's going to be the opposite? As in, it matches tier 8's, grabs them. If it runs out,  grabs tier 9s. If it can't find enough of those, it'll fill in the final places with tier 10?

This should be pretty interesting. Will tier 6 ships end up bottom tier more often in tier 7/8 matches? Or will this cause tier 8 to explode in popularity, and suck players down from tier 9/10, and up from tier 6/7? It's hard to imagine what the result is going to be. I'm picturing more matches that are almost all tier 8, and more that are almost all tier 9 with a few tier 10's mixed in. I'm also picturing tier 8 rounds with a few tier 9's mixed in... And finally, it'll be great being a tier 10 in more instances.

EJ

That old issue was what probably stopped many players from going past T7

i was almost considering staying at T7 with my Colorado because i was doing so well with it until i heard how fun the NC is

got up-tiered quite a bit, learned some lessons, lost credits for awhile, went on a high-tier hiatus, came back now earning credits

the problem is high-tier is VERY unforgiving and people WILL punish you for making a mistake.

Plus the fact that T10 matches are usually a DPM, HE cancer, lolpen death-fest!

Edited by Ace6steel

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

For me it's not that T10 is popular, it's that it's too popular with people that shouldn't be playing up that high. Because T8 is a mess typically, it just causes people to skip through those mid tiers asap to get to T10 and their skills suffer (along with match quality)

The blame lies squarely on WG though, they have made it so that everything requires T10 so of course people are pushed into a spot they probably aren't prepared for. It made WG cash to be sure, but overall match quality has certainly been impacted because of the emphasis on "you need a T10 NAO!".

• Cool 1

[TARFU]
[TARFU]
Members
1,030 posts
6,386 battles

Yeah, I have noticed a drop in T10 player skill.

Certain ships like the Cossack and Asashio/Harekaze are going to be great if there are more predominantly tier 8 matches. These are the kinds of matches i'm hoping for:

Out of 12:

Seven T8's

Three T9's

Two T10's

Most of the enemy team is the same tier as you, but you have some bigger fish to munch on for better XP, and to keep you honest.

Members
4,676 posts
6,811 battles
45 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

For me it's not that T10 is popular, it's that it's too popular with people that shouldn't be playing up that high. Because T8 is a mess typically, it just causes people to skip through those mid tiers asap to get to T10 and their skills suffer (along with match quality)

The blame lies squarely on WG though, they have made it so that everything requires T10 so of course people are pushed into a spot they probably aren't prepared for. It made WG cash to be sure, but overall match quality has certainly been impacted because of the emphasis on "you need a T10 NAO!".

45 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

Messing round Sunday I was checking some players in tiers 8-9-10. A ton had less than 100 battles....some a lot less. Win rates in the 30's a bunch of them. Ok it's allowed so good luck to them but these players had virtually NO matches in the lower tiers. 

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,180 battles
2 hours ago, HorrorRoach said:

EJ

I rage sold all my tier 8's except premiums a week ago, go figure.

[TARFU]
[TARFU]
Members
1,030 posts
6,386 battles
9 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

I rage sold all my tier 8's except premiums a week ago, go figure.

I sold mine to buy T10's during the supercontainer thingy a few months ago. Well, i'll be playing Missouri all weekend to rebuy the IJN DDs and Cruisers, need to rebuy everything for that snowflake/steel campaign thing.

Members
3,999 posts
14,802 battles

I'm just going to wait and see how this turns out before I dust off my tier 8s and plunge into the shark tank with them.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,846 posts
15,336 battles

Player skill sucks at every tier, I thru X.  You see the exact same, dumb, match losing moves at every tier.  The change isn't going to alter that.

I watch dumb Omahas sail into the middle of Cap A in Two Brothers at the start of the match with predictable, disastrous results.

I watch dumb Alabama sail right into Cap B at the start of the game in the previous version of Islands of Ice.  Predictable, disastrous results.

I still remember watching a dumb DD spot and charge a Fiji, Belfast, Colorado, and Mahan with predictable, disastrous results.

I still remember my division and the rest of our team watch in horror as our Hakuryu forgot control of his CV while controlling his planes, and sailed full speed into the middle of Islands of Ice.  Half the team was pinging the map, warning the CV in chat, but to no avail.  Our CV was the first to die and we were screwed.

I remember our team having great difficulty against some DDs of the enemy team in a cap.  It was a Tier VII-IX match.  2 enemy DDs were doing a remarkable job causing tremendous problems, but they were mostly unsupported in a CV game.  They had enemy BBs supporting them at range, but the red DDs were alone in the cap with no other help, no AA.  A New Orleans of our team tried to help but the enemy DDs outspotted it and the BBs almost deleted her outright and she barely got away with smoke assistance.  Our team begs our Saipan to send ANY planes to help spot the DDs in the cap, so that they can be driven off.  Our CV says, "It's not the CV's job to kill Destroyers, that's the Cruiser's job." :Smile_facepalm:  He was one of those 38% WR Saipans and was busy wasting his planes against some North Carolina in the corner of the map.

I watch "winning" teams throw matches despite having all the advantages, all because they're chasing that extra kill, extra shell or torpedo hit.  What goes from a 8 to 4 ship advantage with 2/3 caps, time, and score in their favor, turns into a loss.

Change those example ships to any ship, any tier, and the story fits to what you see going on.  The change isn't going to alter this.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,180 battles
1 hour ago, HorrorRoach said:

I sold mine to buy T10's during the supercontainer thingy a few months ago. Well, i'll be playing Missouri all weekend to rebuy the IJN DDs and Cruisers, need to rebuy everything for that snowflake/steel campaign thing.

I was keeping tier 8's for fun as I have all tier 9-10's in Port. With the way match making has been tier 8 has done nothing but Piss me off. I haven't re-assigned any of the 7 19Pt tier 8 captains so there is that at least.