You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
alphainfinity

I am DONE buying Tier 8 Premiums

45 comments in this topic

Members
38 posts
4,029 battles

I don't mind spending money on this game(as WG knows I have spent A LOT), but buying Tier 8 premiums and playing against T10 opponents 90% of the time just SUCKS. Sure, strategy and gameplay can help offset some of the disadvantages but honestly, it just isn't FUN. I am sure this is less of a problem for those that play on the EURO server because there are two to three times the amount of players, and perhaps you get better matchmaking. For those of us on the NA server though, the MM seems to be tougher(I play on both). 

I know a lot of people are grinding the legendary mods and that is perhaps why there are so many T10 players out there, but once again.......you spend money for a T8 premium, spend 90% of the time in T10 games. Sorry Wargaming  but that isn't much FUN.

• Cool 8

[DENY]
Members
249 posts
6,941 battles

It's not 90% of the time.

There's a pretty simple fix that would alleviate this as well, Wargaming should make it so that a Tier XIII Premium in a Tier X match, all of the earned XP becomes Free XP. Easy to program, and alleviates the issue of being bottom tier against the strongest ships in the game.

You actually get much better XP as a Tier VIII in a Tier X match, I really like being up-tiered when grinding a line because of that extra XP, but you don't gain much in a premium. Just make it so you all XP is Free XP and people will like being in Tier X matches. It's now a way to grind Free XP.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2

[MEOW]
[MEOW]
Beta Testers
134 posts
3,648 battles

now you can buy tier IXs

the biggest problem for releasing tier IX premiums is the eroding effect on lower tiers, tier VII will be a joke

and in 7.11 you will meet less tier Xs, new matchmaking, +/- 1 tier

• Bad 1

Members
1,613 posts
10,389 battles
2 minutes ago, Xanthro said:

There's a pretty simple fix that would alleviate this as well, Wargaming should make it so that a Tier XIII Premium in a Tier X match, all of the earned XP becomes Free XP. Easy to program, and alleviates the issue of being bottom tier against the strongest ships in the game.

You actually get much better XP as a Tier VIII in a Tier X match, I really like being up-tiered when grinding a line because of that extra XP, but you don't gain much in a premium. Just make it so you all XP is Free XP and people will like being in Tier X matches. It's now a way to grind Free XP.

Because there's nothing more fun than being targeted by ships that out-range you so nothing you can do but run?  Or having to get too close to enemy t10 ships because your range is vastly lower than theirs. I don't see how free XP changes anything. It's still a horrible experience.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[DENY]
Members
249 posts
6,941 battles
Just now, STINKWEED_ said:

Because there's nothing more fun than being targeted by ships that out-range you so nothing you can do but run?  Or having to get too close to enemy t10 ships because your range is vastly lower than theirs. I don't see how free XP changes anything. It's still a horrible experience.

I'm up-tiered just as often as anyone else. It's not that big a deal, and certainly not worth complaining about. Tier X ships are usually less maneuverable, bigger and have more health, so they are easier to hit and you get a huge amount of XP as a Tier VIII.

The only issue is that Premium ships don't really gain much in terms of XP because it doesn't unlock a Tier IX ship. Getting Free XP instead gives a reason to look forward to being up-tiered.

Free XP lets you unlock ships faster, buy ships, there are all kinds of benefits to Free XP.

Complaining about being up-tiered doesn't keep you from being up-tiered, it just puts you in a losing mood.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,507 posts
9,538 battles
13 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Depends on the tier 8 ship, some tier 8s I enjoy using in tier X more than using tier IX or X equivalent in X battles.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,913 posts
14,310 battles

Why would any one buy those expensive Tier 8 Premiums? Wait for the Christmas boxes and get random T8 premiums for less money. True story, I own the Tirpitz and Atlanta because I once spent $20 on medium X-Mas boxes. Granted it was a bit of luck but still costed less than buying them at full price. Or wait till the premium ship is in the Tech Tree for gold and WG is running a discount. I got the LoYang for gold at a discounted price. My point being you can get Expensive premiums at a discount if you wait and know to buy when the price is right.

Or you could wait for a contest and get lucky. I have the Roma with the funny camo and the Enterprise because I won a contest. 

• Cool 1

[REEF]
[REEF]
Beta Testers
643 posts
8,226 battles

I for one have been asking WG to make ALL XP earned by T10 ships be turned into free XP since regular XP is worthless once you get all your modules for the T10.

I play a lot of T7 to stay out of the T10 trap faced when playing T10, but lately my T7 are being up-tiered to T9, so, I just have to play what I'm given.

In the end we deal with being up-tiered or we go play Co-Op.

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,167 battles
10 minutes ago, FlashTX1 said:

I for one have been asking WG to make ALL XP earned by T10 ships be turned into free XP since regular XP is worthless once you get all your modules for the T10.

I play a lot of T7 to stay out of the T10 trap faced when playing T10, but lately my T7 are being up-tiered to T9, so, I just have to play what I'm given.

In the end we deal with being up-tiered or we go play Co-Op.

Off topic but what was a Nuc doing on an LST?

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,945 posts
4,837 battles

This is why I try not to buy tier 8 prems I know can't uptier well.

Mass and Kidd and Kutzov uptier very well, however Tirpitz and Roma are straight up garbage in an higher tier environment. 

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,495 posts
3,803 battles
1 hour ago, SavageTactical said:

Read the next patch release notes.

And that is the moment he knew he had ****** up 

haha

[-K-]
Members
5,454 posts
9,396 battles

Your point is valid, but don't forget that T8's can also be very good for competitive modes like Ranked too. 

When I look at buying a premium ship, I always look at it's use beyond random battles first and foremost.

[NMKJT]
Members
1,765 posts
5,160 battles
48 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

This is why I try not to buy tier 8 prems I know can't uptier well.

Mass and Kidd and Kutzov uptier very well, however Tirpitz and Roma are straight up garbage in an higher tier environment. 

I enjoy being a Roma in full uptiers. Taking most of a Yamato/GK/Montana's HP away from him while he's trying to fight one of my T10s is so great.

Now Tirpitz I can agree on. >.>

Beta Testers
1,515 posts
9,219 battles
38 minutes ago, Xanthro said:

Don't get me wrong.  I like the idea.  However, it is highly unlikely they would ever do this, at least the way you suggest.  The whole point of Elite ships continuing to earn XP, XP that they cannot spend, is to create an incentive for players to spend real money to convert it to Free XP.  And think about it.  What is one of the selling points of Premium ships?  They earn bonus XP.  Premium ships are Elite out-of-the-box, which means the only way to use that enhanced XP potential is to convert it to Free XP.  In other words, the point of selling Premium ships is not just the sale of the ship, which is a one-time purchase, but to create an on-going potential for revenue through the sale of doubloons to convert ship XP to Free XP.

That is not a criticism.  WG's Free-to-Play model is to create incentives to spend money to progress.  This is a big source of that incentive.  Why else would they give away Premium ships?  For instance, I have at least 31 Premium ships.  I have purchased only 16 of those.  I got 17 for free (Close Beta reward, mission rewards, crates, etc.), which means I even got 2 for free that I already had.  Additionally, at least three others have been obtainable for free through missions or targeted giveaways.  That means I could have potentially ended up with 20 of my 31 Premium ships for free.  And that only counts the Premiums I have.  There are others that have been given away.

If the point of Premiums was only to make money on the sale of the ship, why would they make it so that I potentially could have had half to two-thirds of the Premiums I own without spending any money for them?  It is because they make no money from the sale, but they still have revenue potential from people converting XP to Free XP.

Then you have to factor in that Tier VIII is somewhat of a sweet-spot for this mechanic.  If your goal is to get to Tier X, you are just starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  The XP costs increase, but so does the XP earning potential.  That means that there is a bigger pool of XP to convert to Free XP and a greater incentive to do so at Tier VIII.  And that doesn't even take into account the huge potential for people to convert Free XP to get the ships only obtainable with Free XP.

Thus, while I like the idea, it would likely be a huge hit to WG's earning potentials to simply give away all Free XP earned on Tier VIII premiums, so I doubt they would ever consider this as presented.  However for both tech tree and premium ships, you already earn then same small percentage of XP earned in every battle as additional Free XP.  Perhaps they could consider your point and increase the percent of XP earned as Free XP some in battles in Tier VIII premiums.

Members
1,613 posts
10,389 battles
2 hours ago, Xanthro said:

I'm up-tiered just as often as anyone else. It's not that big a deal, and certainly not worth complaining about. Tier X ships are usually less maneuverable, bigger and have more health, so they are easier to hit and you get a huge amount of XP as a Tier VIII.

The only issue is that Premium ships don't really gain much in terms of XP because it doesn't unlock a Tier IX ship. Getting Free XP instead gives a reason to look forward to being up-tiered.

Free XP lets you unlock ships faster, buy ships, there are all kinds of benefits to Free XP.

Complaining about being up-tiered doesn't keep you from being up-tiered, it just puts you in a losing mood.

No, that doesn't justify or explain how being vastly out-ranged has any upside. If the enemy T10s can hit you 5 km further out than you can fire back at them with much higher caliber guns and 90% of the enemy ships are T10  there's little upside. You can try getting in close and getting your bum shot off by a Yamato and spammed to death by the new U.S cruisers. 

• Bad 1

Beta Testers
1,515 posts
9,219 battles
1 hour ago, FlashTX1 said:

Once you have nothing left to research on a ship, it becomes Elite.  That means that all XP earned on every ship in the game becomes "worthless" once that ship becomes Elite.  That includes Premiums, which are Elite out-of-the-box.  As such, you could make that same argument for every ship in the game.

However, the tldr; of my post above is that the whole point of having ships that earn XP that they cannot use is to create a revenue source for the game by making it so that you have to convert it to Free XP using doubloons.  I can pretty much guarantee that they will never make it so that any ship in the game earns 100% of its XP as Free XP, let alone an entire Tier's worth of ships.

Beta Testers
354 posts
8,663 battles

I agree with you OP.
I get a chuckle out of T8 Premiums ----- it is almost like people are paying for the privilege to be constantly  up-tiered...suckers born every minute. I used to be a sucker....but I am not a sucker any more.

And FreeXP is doesn't feel like it is worth all that much these days with the new type of currency of coal and steel. FreeXP is starting feel like it is for suckers...ohh look at the "FreeXP" we're going to give you more of.

• Boring 1

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Your point is valid, but don't forget that T8's can also be very good for competitive modes like Ranked too. 

I mean if we can break the ranked being T10 trend, sure. Last season I got to play about 5 games af T8. Not quite the definition of a great deal.

[DENY]
Members
249 posts
6,941 battles
54 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

No, that doesn't justify or explain how being vastly out-ranged has any upside. If the enemy T10s can hit you 5 km further out than you can fire back at them with much higher caliber guns and 90% of the enemy ships are T10  there's little upside. You can try getting in close and getting your bum shot off by a Yamato and spammed to death by the new U.S cruisers. 

Funny, I don't seem to have an issue overcoming that.

The Upside is that you get much better XP, the problem with Premiums, is that XP only helps you if you spend more money. Hence, the making all XP Free XP for Tier VIII premiums.

BTW, if you are getting up-tiered, so is someone on the other team, they are in the exact same position as you, so go hunt them down.

[INTEL]
Members
8,808 posts
26,251 battles
19 hours ago, Xanthro said:

So you feel. Others very obviously find it tiresome to be constantly uptiered. On average T8s are uptiered 45% of the time to T10, according to WG and several of us who have tested it by recording MM outcomes. 

That is an average figure. Because stats are clumpy, there are many players who are uptiered even more often. Moreover, because stats are clumpy, it varies across ships of individual players. I have been uptiered to T10 8 of my last 13 in Kutuzov, but at 45% in my Alabama. Naturally I only play Alabama at T8 because it is tiresome to be uptiered all the damn time.

This means there are indeed players who are uptiered a lot. 

The reason WG is fixing it is not because of player complaints about being uptiered. It is because so many of us, including myself, do not buy T8 premiums because there is no point in paying to be a fodderbote. 

Unfortunately the problem is that no one plays T9s, so almost twice as many T8s and T10s are played, as T9. A robust collection of interesting T9 premiums would help address that. Ultimately, no fix is possible under the current two tier MM spread. When they shift to one tier MM, then the problem can be cured.

• Cool 1

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,180 battles
4 hours ago, Xanthro said:

Did you know here on this very forum there are over 1,000 separate posts complaining about Match Making. You are in a very small like 1% small minority.

[TF_34]
Members
1,141 posts
7,078 battles
4 hours ago, Xanthro said:

No, its about 50% of the time when it should be 33% of the time.