Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TL_Warlord_Roff

CL Yahagi . Hummm! Future Premium

16 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
1,449 posts
12,430 battles

ohh dev blog stuff.  So lets see.. Tier 5 they say.  Yahagi.. a storied ship!

So special things about this ship.. typical tier 5 IJN cruiser AA (ie: not much!),  with a not especially fast rate of fire for having only 6 main guns..  Historical stats were the turrets take 30 seconds to rotate 180 degrees.  Theoretical rate of fire is 6 seconds between shots, but practical ROF was every 10 seconds on the real world guns. I expect the  152's are hard hitting but kinda so so in the gun range department.  Should however be quite accurate within that range.  The torpedo's how ever are far more dangerous then you may think beside having a 20k+ warhead 67 knot speed and a 10 k range there is also the way they are arranged.  The 2x4 tube launchers mounted on the center line so will have DD like torpedo arcs and the ability to put 8 torps in the water at once off the same side.  This is also a fast cruiser.  35 knot top speed historically and that's what the blog shows. Add a speed flag and head to the drag races.!  Fairly nimble historically and from a distance looks like your typical IJN DD... only bigger..  Has a Float plane fighter and , I kind of expect the ship to have Hydro acoustic just like the tier V Furutaka.

Her firepower may be OP for tier V, but I suspect she would work nicely at tier VI and be able to make a good showing if stuck in a tier VII fight.  Armor however is pretty much non existent, and like all IJN Cruisers a large vulnerable and inadequately  protected citadel area.  Historically she was ment to be a scout and act as a leader for DD flotilla's.

She will be the largest Destroyer in the game!   I also believe there's room for a tier  VII version which mainly would simply add 25mm AA up to the 1945 max, and an additional upgrade slot.  A tier VII version of the ship could possibly be expected to also mount the TRB or smoke option (smoke would be standard IJN DD smoke) but this is just speculation on my  part.   I how ever would not expect the ship to have a repair consumable.  The possibility of TRB and  smoke is also a possibility.

So tremendous offensive damage potential BUT fragile.. very very fragile though don't be surprised to see a lot of over penning on this ship for minimal damage unless you blip the magazines or engine room.  Historical stats are 20mm deck plating and 60mm machinery belt, 55mm magazine protection (likely the same for the main gun turrets) 20 aft end caps and 20-25mm fprward cap bulkheads.  

Could be a very interesting ship, and of course lays the groundwork to eventually bring Oyoda in.

Warlord sends

• Cool 1

[FOG]
Members
378 posts
5,115 battles
1 hour ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

So special things about this ship.. typical tier 5 IJN cruiser AA (ie: not much!),  with a not especially fast rate of fire for having only 6 main guns..  Historical stats were the turrets take 30 seconds to rotate 180 degrees.  Theoretical rate of fire is 6 seconds between shots, but practical ROF was every 10 seconds on the real world guns. I expect the  152's are hard hitting but kinda so so in the gun range department.  Should however be quite accurate within that range.  The torpedo's how ever are far more dangerous then you may think beside having a 20k+ warhead 67 knot speed and a 10 k range there is also the way they are arranged.  The 2x4 tube launchers mounted on the center line so will have DD like torpedo arcs and the ability to put 8 torps in the water at once off the same side.  This is also a fast cruiser.  35 knot top speed historically and that's what the blog shows. Add a speed flag and head to the drag races.!  Fairly nimble historically and from a distance looks like your typical IJN DD... only bigger..  Has a Float plane fighter and , I kind of expect the ship to have Hydro acoustic just like the tier V Furutaka.

Her firepower may be OP for tier V, but I suspect she would work nicely at tier VI and be able to make a good showing if stuck in a tier VII fight.  Armor however is pretty much non existent, and like all IJN Cruisers a large vulnerable and inadequately  protected citadel area.  Historically she was ment to be a scout and act as a leader for DD flotilla's.

She will be the largest Destroyer in the game!   I also believe there's room for a tier  VII version which mainly would simply add 25mm AA up to the 1945 max, and an additional upgrade slot.  A tier VII version of the ship could possibly be expected to also mount the TRB or smoke option (smoke would be standard IJN DD smoke) but this is just speculation on my  part.   I how ever would not expect the ship to have a repair consumable.  The possibility of TRB and  smoke is also a possibility.

So tremendous offensive damage potential BUT fragile.. very very fragile though don't be surprised to see a lot of over penning on this ship for minimal damage unless you blip the magazines or engine room.  Historical stats are 20mm deck plating and 60mm machinery belt, 55mm magazine protection (likely the same for the main gun turrets) 20 aft end caps and 20-25mm fprward cap bulkheads.  

Could be a very interesting ship, and of course lays the groundwork to eventually bring Oyoda in.

Warlord sends

Very nice summary and I was generally impressed with the proposed stats, especially the torpedoes. It will be interesting to see how this further develops.

Beta Testers
1,219 posts
6,528 battles

I just find it extremely odd that the ship has questionable main guns but has tier 8 DD torpedoes.

I'd personally like to see the guns buffed a bunch then slotted at tier 7. Just gives me a really weird vibe seeing such a "modern" ship being proposed for tier 5.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,339 posts
11,865 battles
3 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

OP?  What?  Compared to 9 gun K-berg salvos and 8 gun Omaha salvos, both with a much higher reload?  It's gunpower is utterly un-competitive.  All she's got are torps, which will have craptastic firing angles like Yubari.  This thing is going to get deleted left, right and center.

35 minutes ago, SeraphicRadiance said:

I just find it extremely odd that the ship has questionable main guns but has tier 8 DD torpedoes.

I'd personally like to see the guns buffed a bunch then slotted at tier 7. Just gives me a really weird vibe seeing such a "modern" ship being proposed for tier 5.

She's got no business at T5 let alone T7.  They are trying to force her into T5.  There's nothing wrong with modern ships in the lower tiers.  Weak ships should be low tier.

[SPTR]
Members
26,007 posts
11,469 battles

Some of us have been wanting for a mid tier IJN prem cruiser for some time now, so Yahagi is welcoming through that 10 second reload, don't you think its kinda long for a tier 5 cruiser with 6 of those 152mm guns? /°_\\

Members
1,023 posts
13 battles

Yahagi is Tier V material. She has no business being in T7.

The Agano-class only has 6 152mm guns. Her firepower is incredibly shoddy if put at T7, and even at T5 almost all ships with equivalent caliber has faster reload, and they pack more guns too. 

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,471 posts
6,810 battles
1 hour ago, SeraphicRadiance said:

Problem with the Agano class was that despite the year they were built in, they were seriously lacking when compared with foreign ships of the same weight category.

Agano makes the refitted Königsberg class look like a brute force. Against the Omaha class I also don‘t think they‘d fare well. History just didn‘t want them to be strong ligh Cruisers. 

[HEROS]
Members
1,449 posts
12,430 battles

Another thread about an odd ball premium ship caught my eye.  You all realize the Katori's (tier-III) has a bigger brother at tier IV, the Yubari. And with Yahagi prepping up for tier  we do have a light cruiser line in the making.  But Katori and Yubari both have a nasty little something in common and that is the "Aiming Systems Mod 0"  which seem tailor made for ships with crap guns to allow them to be competitive.

I am thinking right now that Yahagi may end up having Aiming Systems Mod 0.   What this means is the shell from the gun go exactly where you tell them to go.  ANd it would make sense for her to get this because other then torp power she's going to be kinda lacking.  She'll still have the same crappy ROF but guns will traverse faster and be significantly more accurate  (think of the result of a ship now having a 2.3 sigma value and it base dispersion halved!)

[FDK]
Members
1,094 posts
6,391 battles
8 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

Warlord sends

It should be a tier 6 ship

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,946 posts
4,837 battles

I need a new ship to seal club people in. GC got a bit old after the 50th try. 

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
1,719 posts
2,275 battles
1 hour ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

Another thread about an odd ball premium ship caught my eye.  You all realize the Katori's (tier-III) has a bigger brother at tier IV, the Yubari. And with Yahagi prepping up for tier  we do have a light cruiser line in the making.  But Katori and Yubari both have a nasty little something in common and that is the "Aiming Systems Mod 0"  which seem tailor made for ships with crap guns to allow them to be competitive.

I am thinking right now that Yahagi may end up having Aiming Systems Mod 0.   What this means is the shell from the gun go exactly where you tell them to go.  ANd it would make sense for her to get this because other then torp power she's going to be kinda lacking.  She'll still have the same crappy ROF but guns will traverse faster and be significantly more accurate  (think of the result of a ship now having a 2.3 sigma value and it base dispersion halved!)

ah it seems you notice my thread on yubari

[SYN]
Members
14,625 posts
10,955 battles

list of buffs I expect to happen

• TRB consumable
  • DFAA consumable
  • Smoke consumable
  • Concealment buff
  • RoF buff
  • Turret Traverse buff
  • Engine Boost consumable
  • 1/4 penetration

This ship was designed as a Destroyer Squadron Leader, so it should have the means to operate with them, rather than be this mediocre BB fodder.

[SPTR]
Members
1,719 posts
2,275 battles
5 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

list of buffs I expect to happen

• TRB consumable
  • DFAA consumable
  • Smoke consumable
  • Concealment buff
  • RoF buff
  • Turret Traverse buff
  • Engine Boost consumable
  • 1/4 penetration

This ship was designed as a Destroyer Squadron Leader, so it should have the means to operate with them, rather than be this mediocre BB fodder.

if this were to happen it needs the 1944-45 hull with increased AA

which would then force this T5 up to T6 or 7 with these buffs TRB would be nice considering you only get 4 per side

DFAA would make it fall into line with it's cousins at T3 and T4 (Katori and Yubari) smoke would be needed

concealment YES. engine boost i dont see the need as this ship has a 36kt top speed. ROF and turret traverse will be covered hopefully by aiming systems mod. 0

and/or shell buffs

Edited by Ace6steel

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,846 posts
4,814 battles

3x2 152mm with 10 sec reload at tier 5 isn't stellar unless it has ASM 0. The torp angles are going to be suicidal, as Yahagi is likely made of citadel, and looking at the concealment Yahagi won't have a stealth fire window, or barely any. She'll be blapped by BBs with regularity imho. The AA will be crap like most IJN cruisers, and most T5 ships, so CVs won't fear her. As a T5, Yahagi is going to be uptiered a lot against far superior cruisers.

I'm expecting buffs during testing. As the stats stand I am hesitant to buy.

HASE-40026_7.jpg

yah-6.jpg?fit=1024,683&ssl=1

These models of Yahagi shows quite nicely that the torpedo launchers are blocked by the aircraft platform. The rear launcher has better angles backwards, but players will have to be more of less broadside. This is going to kill a lot of Yahagi players.

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,946 posts
4,837 battles
2 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

3x2 152mm with 10 sec reload at tier 5 isn't stellar unless it has ASM 0. The torp angles are going to be suicidal, as Yahagi is likely made of citadel, and looking at the concealment Yahagi won't have a stealth fire window, or barely any. She'll be blapped by BBs with regularity imho. The AA will be crap like most IJN cruisers, and most T5 ships, so CVs won't fear her. As a T5, Yahagi is going to be uptiered a lot against far superior cruisers.

I'm expecting buffs during testing. As the stats stand I am hesitant to buy.

HASE-40026_7.jpg

yah-6.jpg?fit=1024,683&ssl=1

These models of Yahagi shows quite nicely that the torpedo launchers are blocked by the aircraft platform. The rear launcher has better angles backwards, but players will have to be more of less broadside. This is going to kill a lot of Yahagi players.

Atago is a suicide ship, so is Mogami, but people can make those work.

Lets be honest here, this ship is more or less a reward for people who troll in Atago.

Release it as is, I'll still seal club people in it. 

(give it a heal :) )

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,846 posts
4,814 battles
32 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Atago is a suicide ship, so is Mogami, but people can make those work.

Lets be honest here, this ship is more or less a reward for people who troll in Atago.

Release it as is, I'll still seal club people in it. 

(give it a heal :) )

Atago has good torp angles with her forward torp launchers. Mogami at least has decent backward angles and other tools like 9 guns pointing forward. Yahagi is likely going to need a more or less flat broadside like Yubari to use her torps.

Anyway good luck with seal clubbing in Yahagi. Personally I don't think it's that strong.

Sign in to follow this