You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

BB main wondering about Moskva

9 comments in this topic

Members
251 posts
5,060 battles

Since I play mostly BB's I;m wondering if getting the Moskva would be something worth doing? I hear it's a ship were you stay mostly bow in and snipe and can tank BB ap shells since a large portion of the bow plating is 50mm. I've also heard mixed things on the Kron and that it plays as a ship that you have to stay on the move to make it work since it's armor is more squishy. Opinions please!

[FARQD]
Members
436 posts
6,683 battles

Wait till I sneak around your Moskva in my Zao to taste your cits or to be burnt to ground by my Hindy :D

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,534 posts
12,162 battles
1 hour ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Since I play mostly BB's I;m wondering if getting the Moskva would be something worth doing? I hear it's a ship were you stay mostly bow in and snipe and can tank BB ap shells since a large portion of the bow plating is 50mm. I've also heard mixed things on the Kron and that it plays as a ship that you have to stay on the move to make it work since it's armor is more squishy. Opinions please!

You are correct on both.

[ADAPT]
Members
834 posts
13,535 battles

Can bow tank. Can also be burn to death if just stay bow tanking.lot of player out there know how to shoot HE to bow yanking Moskva or BB. Just need find good spot on the map and collect up or more 2 million potential damage before run out health assist.

[KP]
Members
39 posts
7,580 battles

Moskva can be a beast but shes not very forgiving. She plays more like a battleship has great AP (High velocity) but as someone stated above Id recommend the hindy before the Moskva :) 

[SUCIT]
Members
20 posts
9,437 battles

Stalingrad would be heavily recommended as it is literally a battleship with radar and a fast reload.

Moskva is pretty good too but you would have to angle in correctly as most battleships don't have citadels but Moskva definitely does.

Kronshdat is less recommended for a BB main as it does get 25 mm armor. But if you play cruisers well, Kron can do well.

[SPCU]
Members
269 posts
4,218 battles

Moskva has trollish armor on turret faces and bow on... radar is nice... but hindy vs mosk? Putting money on hindy every time. Every encounter vs mosk in my hindy is short and full of one sided citadels... and torps... plus charging a yammie in hindy is just plain fun.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,793 posts
15,316 battles
4 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Moskva is a lot of good and bad things thrown together.  Let's get the bad things out of the way first.

- Super Squishy on the sides.  Anyone seeing your sides has an opportunity to 1 or 2 shot you.  Any of these Cruisers in High Tier will drop a Moskva via her sides very quickly.  IMO she is more vulnerable to her sides than Minotaur for the sole reason that Moskva is YOOGE.  You simply cannot miss a Moskva's sides with accurate Cruiser gunfire.  If a BB gets a lucky RNG shot to the sides, it's Game Over, man!

- Terrible concealment for a Cruiser.  It's BB-like.  The danger for a bad concealment Cruiser is that the room to "Go Dark" and safely turn around isn't good.  If you do not recognize a dangerous match development early on in Moskva so that she can go dark and turn around safely, you're in deep sh*t.  Because with her sh*t concealment you are forced to either slowly bow on and reverse, dying to HE spam, or doing a risky 180 degree turn in front of a prepared enemy / enemies.  Either way, you're f--ked.

+/- Her forward protection is good but can be trollish... In both a good and bad way.  Moskva's forward protection is IMO, like Jeklyl and Hyde.  There are times she can face tank even 3 BBs long enough that the BBs eventually give up and shoot at something else instead.  Moskva 1-on-1 with another Cruiser is a dangerous opponent if she's prepared.  The 50mm deck and 50mm lower bow make her very tough on the front.  AP shells falling on her deck bounce, which really happens when she's fighting at range and BB AP shells are arcing up and down onto the deck, so they bounce.  THIS is when her protection is at its best.

Where it's not good is if she's forced to fight bow on and a BB is close enough to make precise shots.  All the BB has to do is aim at the nose, the very bow of the Moskva and hit the 25mm bow and get Penetration damage.  While her 50mm deck, 50mm lower bow are tough as nails, that 25mm bow is a weak spot.  Even 380mm AP that strike that area will Overmatch it.  Moskva also has to be careful with the Big HE users.  RN BBs, especially Conqueror who almost always slot HE will not care about Moskva's 50mm deck.  Hindenburg with her 203mm guns getting the German Cruiser HE Pen Buff can penetrate Moskva's 50mm deck without IFHE, while normal 203mm HE can't, even with IFHE.  Also, Henri IV with IFHE will pen Moskva's 50mm deck.  Using Worcester, who's 152mm shells cannot pen 50mm decks even with IFHE, I've gotten positions to rain HE constantly on some Moskvas while they cannot reply in return.  The steady incoming shells from Worcester start taking their toll.

+ Radar access.  The opposite of the long active duration Radar on Radar Minotaur, Des Memes.  Instead of a longer active duration, RU Radar has longer range instead.

+ Decent AA.  If AA Spec, Moskva can respectably defender herself from most CV attacks.  But Tier X CVs would be a dangerous threat.

+ The best thing about Moskva is her ridiculously good gunnery.  Long range, high velocity shells, low shell arcs, true Cruiser dispersion (Kronshtadt has accuracy issues at times).  Good HE & AP options.  If the target is tough, HE it.  If you see someone about to make a mistake, AP the sh*t out of them.  These Railguns are also quite dangerous to Destroyers.  You should have fewer problems hitting at longer ranges than some Cruisers.  French Cruisers got a bit of float to their shells.  USN Cruisers have very floaty shells and will struggle to hit DDs at double-digit ranges.  Not Moskva.  You'll easily hit even that pesky RU DD speeding at range.  Either way, you have good shells for every job.  When you fire these guns the first time at some distant schmuck, a smile will cross your face.

Kronshtadt is a pretty good ship IMO, but she has 2 problems, one of which can be easily accounted for by the player.

1.  People heard of "Kronshtadt with her 305mm guns is a BB in a Cruiser Slot!" and actually believe she can tank like a BB.  Not with her 25mm armor you won't.  You can bait shots to an angled hull and hope for bounces, but decent BB players will know that they'll Overmatch her easily through her 25mm bow.

2.  You have to be patient with the guns.  They're nice but they will show that WG gave 305mm "Cruiser" guns Non-Cruiser dispersion.  You will throw up some terrible looking salvos every now and then.  Nothing is more aggravating in Kronshtadt than seeing a DD at 9km that you are Radar'ing, and the guns can't hit, but on the next engagement, you perfectly nail a broadside Cruiser at long range with those super fast flying shells of yours.  These aren't consistent, precise Cruiser guns.  You got BB-size guns with BB dispersion at times.

She is however decent in concealment, which is a rarity for a RU Cruiser in all their tiers.  Compared to Dmitri Donskoi, Moskva, Stalingrad, the Kronshtadt is a Vodka Ninja.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway