You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
shokNgnaw

IFHE or Concealment on T5, T6 cruisers?

17 comments in this topic

[WJDC]
Members
66 posts
1,843 battles

I picked up Concealment on Molotov and Koningsberg because I tend to play a little too agressive and thought it would help me survive a little longer. But it seems that I still get spotted a lot and start taking fire. Trying to learn to play a little smarter and improve my 43% WR. I'm thinking that I'd like the extra punch that IFHE provides. Trying to decide whether it's worth captn points re-distribution to pick up IFHE, instead of keeping Concealment. Thoughts?

[SIM]
Members
2,679 posts
4,423 battles

Personally, I’d go with concealment. Mid-tier cruisers have a lot of survivability issues, and being able to stay concealed longer or flee out of your detectability range more easily can literally be the difference between life and death. 

[EQRN]
Members
455 posts
9,506 battles

Short of the US light cruisers, every other line goes heavy as early as T5 so you're looking at a respec out of IFHE before too long.

Members
72 posts
6,267 battles

First you go with concealment and later when you move the captain to a higher tier cruiser you add IFHE.  (Only if that cruiser has 155 mm guns or smaller.  Never put IFHE on cruisers with larger guns.) The exception is if you really like playing a particular ship and decide to keep the captain on that ship.  You keep playing that ship until you have a captain with at least 14 skill points.  Then you can have both concealment and IFHE.  However, if you don't transfer that captain to a higher tier ship that means you will have to train another captain when you move up a tier.  For example, if you really liked playing the tier 6 German cruiser Nürnberg, you could put both concealment and IFHE on this ship's captain.  However, this captain won't be a good fit for the tier 7 and higher German cruisers because their gun caliber size is 210 mm and higher.

Eventually you will build up to a 19-point captain, though it may seem like that may take forever.  At that point you will start earning elite XP which you can use to add captain skill points to any captain you choose, ragardless of nationality.  This will help you train other captains at a faster rate.  Then you will have two, then three then four 19-point captains.  It will take you much less time train new captains to at least ten points.  

Edited by Pigus_Drunkus_Maximus

[WJDC]
Members
66 posts
1,843 battles

Ok, thanks for the replies. Good to know. Guess I'll stick with concealment for now.

4 minutes ago, Pigus_Drunkus_Maximus said:

<snip> 

Eventually you will build up to a 19-point captain, though it may seem like that may take forever.  At that point you will start earning elite XP which you can use to add captain skill points to any captain you choose, ragardless of nationality.  This will help you train other captains at a faster rate.  Then you will have two, then three then four 19-point captains.  It will take you much less time train new captains to at least ten points.  

Hmm 19 points ... seems like a dream (far, far away) at this point. I've picked up 121K elite XP (mostly in Halloween games) so, with that and my remaining free XP, I could boost my Koningsberg capt to 13 points now. I'm just a little shy about depleting these resources, but maybe that would be a good move? I don't plan to get any other ships for awhile so I don't really need the free xp for now. Maybe I'll have to open a new thread about that.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,570 posts
12,258 battles
2 hours ago, shokNgnaw said:

I picked up Concealment on Molotov and Koningsberg because I tend to play a little too agressive and thought it would help me survive a little longer. But it seems that I still get spotted a lot and start taking fire. Trying to learn to play a little smarter and improve my 43% WR. I'm thinking that I'd like the extra punch that IFHE provides. Trying to decide whether it's worth captn points re-distribution to pick up IFHE, instead of keeping Concealment. Thoughts?

Konigsburg has IFHE built in. She is best played kiting away.

Molotov needs to play at range to be able to dodge incoming fire effectively. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
5,837 posts
6,973 battles
3 hours ago, DoIphin_Princess said:

Concealment is absolutely mandatory on all cruisers

IFHE or no IFHE you don't do damage if you are sunk

I would personally go with IFHE first on any mid-tier cruiser with 6" guns. 12% concealment buff isn't good enough to give up that huge damage increase.

[-K-]
[-K-]
5,837 posts
6,973 battles
3 hours ago, shokNgnaw said:

IFHE on Molotov is not efficient, IMO.

[WOLFC]
Members
110 posts
5,964 battles

OP, if you have time please look through this thread below. There are some well thought out arguments for and against which skill to get first, plus links to other points of view. I went with IFHE first for damage XP, and just abused the heck out of islands/ran scared till I got CE. Hope this helps.

Edited by JBR40
spelling

[RLGN]
Members
527 posts
4,672 battles

Sadly the way the game is structured now CE is mandatory on all captains for all ships. Really needs to just get baked in like 6th sense was at this point. The only question is should I take IFHE or not? You always take CE.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,173 posts
4,874 battles

My Helena captain was at less than 10 points for an age. I ground her all the way to the B hull and have played her some more since without too many problems. I don't need to grind for the Cleveland because I got her at T8 in the split, so my Helena has now become one of my co-op fun ships. I took IFHE and the increase in damage done is impressive. My attitude is that the Helena captain can't miss what he never had and has hitherto done OK without, but on the other hand I wouldn't re-spec a captain out of a concealment expert skill he already had.

[ICOP]
Members
992 posts
3,604 battles

The concealment skill on Cruisers is pretty much a given, however some Cruisers it is so so.  The upgrade option for concealment or steering gear mod 3 is debatable.

[-WPG-]
Members
972 posts
3,904 battles

IFHE absolutely needs to be taken first, assuming the ship benefits from it (Konigsberg was mentioned.  German HE already has 1/4 pen).  Suggesting otherwise is simply asking for a much longer grind, much less damage and xp per battle.

Look at the armor thresholds.  Cruisers starting at T8 start to have 27mm bows, and 30mm plating.  BBs at T8 have 32mm bows. Those are completely immune to 155mm HE and below.  You're going to see plenty of T8+ games in T6+ ships. Your damage output will be drastically lower without IFHE, so the grind from 10 to 14 points (to get both IFHE and CE) will be that much longer. It takes more than 3x the experience to go from 10 points to 14.  

So if you want a long, slow grind, leveling your captain much more slowly, getting consistently less damage and thus less XP/fxp/captain xp per battle, take CE first.  If you want to speed up your grind and get more damage and xp per battle, and leveling your captain faster, , take IFHE first.