You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gear_Jamer

Damage

17 comments in this topic

[SWL]
[SWL]
Members
102 posts
3,488 battles

I am trying to up my damage % how is there a good way of doing this with out driving my self nuts what i am talking about is my average damage per battle, my aiming has improved some alot better than it was, right now its at 21,335.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,876 posts
11,462 battles
5 minutes ago, Gear_Jamer said:

I am trying to up my damage % how is there a good way of doing this with out driving my self nuts what i am talking about is my average damage per battle, my aiming has improved some alot better than it was, right now its at 21,335.

i suggest watching some of ichases captain academy videos you can find on you tube.

I looked at your stats for the 3 classes you have played, and I would suggest going back to t3 after watching some of the tutorial vids from ichase and put what you have learnt into practice there.

I recommend armour angling, and how to aim to start with, with these videos.  They go into great detail, and lets you see how it works.  It takes time but it will let you get those nice hits your looking for in a BB.

I am sure there will be others with sound advice for you, but my main recommendations is stay away from T 6 & 7 at this stage, and put what you learn from those videos to good use.

• Cool 3

[SWL]
[SWL]
Members
102 posts
3,488 battles
2 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

i suggest watching some of ichases captain academy videos you can find on you tube.

I looked at your stats for the 3 classes you have played, and I would suggest going back to t3 after watching some of the tutorial vids from ichase and put what you have learnt into practice there.

I recommend armour angling, and how to aim to start with, with these videos.  They go into great detail, and lets you see how it works.  It takes time but it will let you get those nice hits your looking for in a BB.

I am sure there will be others with sound advice for you, but my main recommendations is stay away from T 6 & 7 at this stage, and put what you learn from those videos to good use.

okay thanks

[CUTIE]
Members
1,434 posts
6,158 battles

Big disclaimer up front: the quantity of damage that you do is far less important than the quality.  For example, chunking a high tier battleship for 30k damage when he's perfectly content to sit in the back kiting all match is not going to affect the battle nearly as much as doing the same amount of damage to a cruiser that's actively supporting the enemy push, or doing 15k to a destroyer that's contesting the objectives, will do.

That said, by far the easiest advice to give and to take would be to invest some time watching various Warships-related YouTube content and/or Twitch streams.  There are a lot of very experienced, very good community contributors who create content specifically geared toward helping other players to improve at the game.  I'll provide some links at the end of this post, but don't consider my list to be all-inclusive.

Also, make some time to watch your own content--enable replays if you haven't already (available via Aslain's or the official WarGaming modpack, or with a quick Google search followed by some cut & paste), and re-watch games where you felt a little lost or just aren't sure what you could have done better.  In almost every case, there was something you did which could have been improved upon, and playing the battle back while watching from a more detached view can really help in identifying those things.

Looking at your clan (good move joining one, by the way), you have a couple of pretty good players there who can you try to div with or ask for pointers.  Unfortunately it doesn't look like you have much in the way of experienced battleship mains, but somebody who excels in destroyer and/or cruiser play can at the very least give you some excellent advice on what not to do in a battleship.

The promised links:

• Mejash's YouTube and Twitch links (he's actually live on Twitch right now).  Great guy & excellent all-around player.
  • Lord Zath on YouTube for detailed analysis of replays sent in by other players.  You can send him some of your own if you want to!
  • Flamu's YouTube channel.  Not exactly the most chill guy when he's playing, but he seriously knows his stuff about the game.
  • IChase was already mentioned above; here's a link to his YouTube as well.

Again, not nearly all the quality options you have out there, but some of my favorites who have a knack for explaining things in ways that even I can understand. :Smile_glasses:

• Cool 2

[SWL]
[SWL]
Members
102 posts
3,488 battles

A little of my problem also i drive truck for living and don't get alot of time to play but i can play everyday just not many hours on the game

[CUTIE]
Members
1,434 posts
6,158 battles
5 minutes ago, Gear_Jamer said:

Oh and another thing you can't get on a team thats worth a crap either anymore.

Anyone will tell you that you're bound to get some teammates who seem to do everything possible to lose a battle, but you have to try to divorce yourself from using that as a crutch for your own performance.  While some games are indeed going to be unwinnable, you can still work on improving your map awareness, better utilizing angling & positioning to minimize the damage you take, identifying the biggest immediate threats & adjusting your play to mitigate them, and just making better decisions on a consistent basis.  You'll still get saddled with the odd team that not even RNGesus himself could carry to victory, and you'll still have bad games, but in general you'll find yourself living far longer in these types of battles and making a much bigger mark on the final score (even it's still a roflstomp against your team).  Keep in mind that those really high damage/frag games only tend to come when both teams are fairly weak--you need a good portion of your own team to struggle in order to have the opportunity to get in 7 kills or 200k damage, even at tier 10.

Work is an unfortunate byproduct of the need for gaming rigs and high speed internet that we all share, so obviously that comes first.  But particularly if you can get online nearly every day, you can use a few of those 1-hour downtimes to watch some of the above-mentioned videos rather than trying to get in 2-3 games of your own.  Save the actual gameplay for the days when you have a bit more time to dedicate to it. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,762 posts
7,686 battles
2 hours ago, Gear_Jamer said:

Depending on what your playing

but in a Cruiser the first thing is to survive the second is your team needs to loose ... yes I know but if you loosing more often than not you have more targets to shoot at which equals.. higher damage

[KP]
Members
39 posts
7,585 battles

Your best bet, is staying alive. The longer you in the fight for the more damage you do and ultimately the more wins you will achieve. And of course as someone mentioned above the quality of your damage is more important than quantity. Focus more on your win rates and the damage will come :)

Edit: Feel free to get hold of any of the KP guys. Really friendly and willing to show the ropes. 

Edited by Bradzzz

[CUTER]
Members
3,777 posts
15,723 battles

You need to start the long process of learning the game from the very beginning. Also improve your gaming skills in general.

[INTEL]
Members
8,815 posts
26,264 battles

Coop. Coop. Coop. Coop. Practice shooting at bots. Every time you get a new ship, play it coop to grind it out of stock and practice with its guns. 

Play IJN DDs for the first 300 games to learn the flow of the match, positioning, and map awareness. Stay away from BBs, playing a BB well enough to shape the flow of the match -- not merely sitting in it and spamming shells every 30 seconds -- is more difficult than it looks. 

[FML]
Members
1,921 posts
10,605 battles
6 hours ago, Gear_Jamer said:

Hi. 

If you want to focus on increasing average damage alone, then the most direct way is to play high tier, play battleships, stay alive the whole match but do not camp in the back - keep cycling your guns over broadside targets. 

But...

Personally, I don’t think you should focus on increasing average damage. It says nothing to the quality of the damage. For instance, damaging enemy battleships is less effective than doing the same damage to destroyers (particularly if you kill the DD). Similarly, fire damage is less valuable than the same amount of citadel damage, as fires are 100% healable. Better than nothing though. 

Doing well at WoWS, ie improving your win rate, is about working with the team you have against the enemy team, using the ship you have the best way you can to defeat the enemy - usually by doing it’s job well - and staying alive to the end of the battle to have control over how the game ends (without being too passive throughout the game - some payers call this controlled aggression).

All of this is underpinned by fundamental skills - capacity to aim and hit manuvering targets at range, knowing when to hold fire and stay concealed, reading the minimap and the flow of battle, dodging incoming fire, managing your damage control, heal, smoke, sonar etc to maximum advantage etc. This all takes experience and is not easy. I am still learning new things.

Get some more experienced and better players to help you - it’s much faster that way. But most importantly - it’s about having the right mindset - knowing you want to improve, critically analysing why you just died (the error could have been 5 mins earlier!), not letting the natural frustration get the better of you. This mindset is rare, but I think you have it because you’ve come to the forum asking for help. 

As such, I wish you every success. Good luck!!!

• Cool 1

[SWL]
[SWL]
Members
102 posts
3,488 battles
4 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Hi. 

If you want to focus on increasing average damage alone, then the most direct way is to play high tier, play battleships, stay alive the whole match but do not camp in the back - keep cycling your guns over broadside targets. 

But...

Personally, I don’t think you should focus on increasing average damage. It says nothing to the quality of the damage. For instance, damaging enemy battleships is less effective than doing the same damage to destroyers (particularly if you kill the DD). Similarly, fire damage is less valuable than the same amount of citadel damage, as fires are 100% healable. Better than nothing though. 

Doing well at WoWS, ie improving your win rate, is about working with the team you have against the enemy team, using the ship you have the best way you can to defeat the enemy - usually by doing it’s job well - and staying alive to the end of the battle to have control over how the game ends (without being too passive throughout the game - some payers call this controlled aggression).

All of this is underpinned by fundamental skills - capacity to aim and hit manuvering targets at range, knowing when to hold fire and stay concealed, reading the minimap and the flow of battle, dodging incoming fire, managing your damage control, heal, smoke, sonar etc to maximum advantage etc. This all takes experience and is not easy. I am still learning new things.

Get some more experienced and better players to help you - it’s much faster that way. But most importantly - it’s about having the right mindset - knowing you want to improve, critically analysing why you just died (the error could have been 5 mins earlier!), not letting the natural frustration get the better of you. This mindset is rare, but I think you have it because you’ve come to the forum asking for help. 

As such, I wish you every success. Good luck!!!

Yes that does sound better win rate should be more important

[ICOP]
Members
992 posts
3,604 battles
6 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Coop. Coop. Coop. Coop. Practice shooting at bots. Every time you get a new ship, play it coop to grind it out of stock and practice with its guns. 

Play IJN DDs for the first 300 games to learn the flow of the match, positioning, and map awareness. Stay away from BBs, playing a BB well enough to shape the flow of the match -- not merely sitting in it and spamming shells every 30 seconds -- is more difficult than it looks. 

Playing Coop to learn some basics has really helped me improve and have a ways to go yet.

• Cool 1

[SWL]
[SWL]
Members
102 posts
3,488 battles

So if i do coop to start improving my win rate when is good time to go back to random and is there a any certain ship i should use like BB DD crusier, should i delete everything i got and start over but i wont delete my North Carolina nore my ships that i bought.

Edited by Gear_Jamer

[FML]
Members
1,921 posts
10,605 battles
5 hours ago, Gear_Jamer said:

So if i do coop to start improving my win rate when is good time to go back to random and is there a any certain ship i should use like BB DD crusier, should i delete everything i got and start over but i wont delete my North Carolina nore my ships that i bought.

I wouldn’t delete everything, as that will just waste credits when you rebuy it later.

Play something low tier, whether DD, cruiser or BB, and play it consistently until you are in the top half of your team repeatedly. Then move onto the next type. When you’ve mastered those, move on - the next tier will be much faster.  

[SWL]
[SWL]
Members
102 posts
3,488 battles

only low tier i got is tier 3 kong albert witch i love that little ship

dark.png

Edited by Gear_Jamer