You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Exciton8964

CW time way too extreme for western coasters

40 comments in this topic

[R-R-R]
Members
978 posts
7,067 battles

I live in Bay area and so do a few of our clan's regular CW players.The 4-8pm PST CW time is just too unfriendly to us.

We mostly work until 5:30-6pm. Then to play CW on a weekday, we have to drive back home in the worst rush hour and skip dinner. Even then we will only be able to play ~1hr of CW if we are lucky.

The only option left is to play at weekends. But that means we have to give up our social life on both Sat and Sun. WG is seriously asking us to sacrifice a lot of our regular life to just play CW. This is honestly not a sustainable situation. 

• Cool 9
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 4

Members
223 posts
16,410 battles

Totally

Even when I look at the other side of the coin, say the people on the East coast, pushing it back a few hours shouldn't be a problem.

Thing is, we humans can do with 1-2 hours less of sleep, its called coffee.

Humans, however, cant go back in time or survive without food.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 6

[R-R-R]
Members
978 posts
7,067 battles

I honestly don't understand what makes WG make the decision to push back the time by another 35min compared to last season.

It was already a struggle last season. Now it is almost impossible for any weekday action. I guess there must be so few PST players that WG doesn't really care anymore.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,113 posts
9,920 battles

What is CW?

You mean CB? We don't have clan wars and I wish we did.

• Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,707 posts
18,486 battles
1 hour ago, Exciton8964 said:

I live in Bay area and so do a few of our clan's regular CW CB players.The 4-8pm PST CW time is just too unfriendly to us.

We mostly work until 5:30-6pm. Then to play CW CB on a weekday, we have to drive back home in the worst rush hour and skip dinner. Even then we will only be able to play ~1hr of CW CB if we are lucky.

The only option left is to play at weekends. But that means we have to give up our social life on both Sat and Sun. WG is seriously asking us to sacrifice a lot of our regular life to just play CW CB. This is honestly not a sustainable situation. 

I agree with your concerns 100%, Exciton, but I don't have any ideas that I think they'll accept at this point.  WG seems unwilling to have a wider CBs window to accommodate both the east and west coast of NA.

I wonder how WG does CBs on, let's say, the Russian servers.  After all, Russia has many more time zones than NA.

[CUTIE]
Members
1,438 posts
6,203 battles

Who on Earth downvotes this post? :fish_palm:

WarGaming basically has two options as far as Clan Battles go: either extend the windows to allow more people/clans to play, or give up on CBs altogether.  Just pushing the time back an hour or three doesn't help, as many of us East Coasters have these annoying parasites beloved companions called "families" which kind of expect us to be around for dinner/quality time during the first part of the time frame, and these equally dastardly delightful things called "jobs" which we need to get at least some sleep before.  And of course the same issue as the West Coast people when it comes to weekends.

At some point they need to accept that they regrettably succeeded in creating a game that's ideal for middle-aged & older gamers, and that most of us have real-world obligations beyond homework and the occasional house party.  It's the unfortunate side effect of having a core player base with regular, disposable income.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[MEOW]
[MEOW]
Beta Testers
135 posts
3,746 battles
3 hours ago, DoIphin_Princess said:

Totally

Even when I look at the other side of the coin, say the people on the East coast, pushing it back a few hours shouldn't be a problem.

Thing is, we humans can do with 1-2 hours less of sleep, its called coffee.

quit your day job and join a stock relate industry, you will live as a New Yorker

[SALVO]
Members
17,707 posts
18,486 battles
42 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

WarGaming basically has two options as far as Clan Battles go: either extend the windows to allow more people/clans to play, or give up on CBs altogether.  Just pushing the time back an hour or three doesn't help, as many of us East Coasters have these annoying parasites beloved companions called "families" which kind of expect us to be around for dinner/quality time during the first part of the time frame, and these equally dastardly delightful things called "jobs" which we need to get at least some sleep before.  And of course the same issue as the West Coast people when it comes to weekends.

At some point they need to accept that they regrettably succeeded in creating a game that's ideal for middle-aged & older gamers, and that most of us have real-world obligations beyond homework and the occasional house party.  It's the unfortunate side effect of having a core player base with regular, disposable income.

No kidding, Harv.

Actually, I had an idea for another option, based on the recent (and aborted) inter-server CBs test.  Why not have two separate Clan Battles time windows for the NA server?  (Could also work for other servers, but let's just focus on NA.)  How it'd work is that a clan would have to select a prime time for the upcoming CB season, which could not change during the season.  The two time windows would be East and West, and might run from 7:30pm to 11:30pm ET for the East session, and 7:30 to 11:30pm PT for the West session.  You could NOT play both sessions.  You'd have to pick whether you wanted to work the East or West "session" for the season.  Alternatively, I suppose that it could be set up so that you could switch sessions, but at the cost of, let's say, the next 2 days of CBs, so that clans couldn't switch sessions instantly to extend the number of hours they could play CBs on a given night.

Anyways, just a thought.

• Cool 2

[WAG]
Members
1,414 posts
8,054 battles
9 hours ago, Exciton8964 said:

I live in Bay area and so do a few of our clan's regular CW players.The 4-8pm PST CW time is just too unfriendly to us.

We mostly work until 5:30-6pm. Then to play CW on a weekday, we have to drive back home in the worst rush hour and skip dinner. Even then we will only be able to play ~1hr of CW if we are lucky.

The only option left is to play at weekends. But that means we have to give up our social life on both Sat and Sun. WG is seriously asking us to sacrifice a lot of our regular life to just play CW. This is honestly not a sustainable situation. 

They don't really seem to care what the NA thinks...

Members
173 posts
13,189 battles
6 hours ago, Crucis said:

The two time windows would be East and West, and might run from 7:30pm to 11:30pm ET for the East session, and 7:30 to 11:30pm PT for the West session.

I must confess you have an astonishingly good idea there Doctor!  (time index ~4:21): 

Edited by ObnoxiousPotato

[SALVO]
Members
17,707 posts
18,486 battles
3 minutes ago, ObnoxiousPotato said:

I must confess you have an astonishingly good idea there Doctor!  (time index ~4:21): 

Heya, Tater!

One potential down side to my idea is what if your clan is heavily split between east and west coast members.  Neither session would be optimal for your clan.  And worst case, I could see this splitting some clans if there was some serious disagreement about which session to select.  But on the flip side, that might be a good thing in the long run, since if there were two different CBs sessions (east and west), it would seem like it'd promote having clans be east or west coast centric to coincide with those CB session time windows.

[TBOW]
Members
1,340 posts
10,981 battles

They should make it an 8 hour block.  I live on the East Coast.  My day starts at 5:30 in the morning I am good for about the first 2 hours of clan battles, then I need hit the pillow.  This runs from 7-11pm my time.  And sorry my work comes first.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,707 posts
18,486 battles
7 minutes ago, Junostorm said:

How many time zones the RU servers cover?  Why change the hours?  Why not just extend them by 2 or 3?

Well, there are 11 times zones in Russia itself, compared to only 4 in the continental US (which isn't all of NA, I know).

[-WPG-]
Members
972 posts
3,904 battles
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Well, there are 11 times zones in Russia itself, compared to only 4 in the continental US (which isn't all of NA, I know).

Yeah but like 80% of Russians live in the western part of the country, in one or two timezones. 

• Cool 1

Members
19,030 posts
5,347 battles
10 hours ago, DoIphin_Princess said:

You can go days without food and still function, just remember to hydrate!

Or just keep some Cheetos and hot pockets on hand for such emergencies lol.

[-K-]
Members
1,103 posts
7,614 battles
1 hour ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Yeah but like 80% of Russians live in the western part of the country, in one or two timezones. 

RIP players in Magadan...

Members
19,030 posts
5,347 battles
3 hours ago, GrimmeReaper said:

They should make it an 8 hour block.  I live on the East Coast.  My day starts at 5:30 in the morning I am good for about the first 2 hours of clan battles, then I need hit the pillow.  This runs from 7-11pm my time.  And sorry my work comes first.

Wouldn't that basically mean you'd have a big advantage if you could field a team for the full 8 hours, and have virtually zero chance of winning if not?

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1

[DOG]
Members
464 posts
5,999 battles

I'm not sure why WG has "seasons" for clan and ranked battles anyway.  Why not make them available all the time - 24/7?  And if you have to have seasons, just have the next one begin immediately after the current one ends.  Is it server capacity or something like that?  Because they really seem to want people to participate (see steel resource), but then limit the times you can do it.

Edited by zubalkabir

[TBOW]
Members
1,340 posts
10,981 battles
10 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Wouldn't that basically mean you'd have a big advantage if you could field a team for the full 8 hours, and have virtually zero chance of winning if not?

My question, is they don't put a limit on Ranked, so why on Clan Battles?

[-WPG-]
Members
972 posts
3,904 battles
24 minutes ago, zubalkabir said:

I'm not sure why WG has "seasons" for clan and ranked battles anyway.  Why not make them available all the time - 24/7?  And if you have to have seasons, just have the next one begin immediately after the current one ends.  Is it server capacity or something like that?  Because they really seem to want people to participate (see steel resource), but then limit the times you can do it.

I'm guessing it's because there would be massive queue times.  It takes effort to get 7 people together to play, and by restricting both the times CBs are held as well as the narrow play times, it ensures a healthy population.  If it were run non-stop 24/7 throughout the year, you'd probably have massively long queue times much of the time... probably playing the same clan over and over if you did find a match. 

[MEOW]
[MEOW]
Beta Testers
135 posts
3,746 battles
2 hours ago, RightYouAreKen said:

RIP players in Magadan...

no, they will play on Asia server

their internet will go through Beijing, Chine

[ONAVY]
Members
870 posts
6,683 battles
11 hours ago, Harv72b said:

Boo Hoo...tell the wife/husband/other...its bowling night and don't bother me....you can't please everyone and to try is folly. So we should "Give Up" since you can't make the battles? Such a selfless act...life goes on it's a game dood.

I really do hate to be the Devil's Advocate or hard azz...but man I can't stand the tears from people all the time.

And btw...the bowling analogy works for me...the wife leaves me be during this time. Bowling dood bowling....

• Bad 1

Members
19,030 posts
5,347 battles
1 hour ago, GrimmeReaper said:

My question, is they don't put a limit on Ranked, so why on Clan Battles?

Because Ranked doesn't have "winners". Everybody who ranks out gets the same prize.

Now I could be wrong, (and if I am, just forget what I said lol) but I'm under the impression that, in any given CB league, the top team(s) get a prize nobody else gets, and you finish first by accumulating the most points. More battles = more points. So if your team could only play 4 hours, you'd have to play twice as well as a team who could play 8 hrs, just to tie them.

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
14 hours ago, DoIphin_Princess said:

Totally

Even when I look at the other side of the coin, say the people on the East coast, pushing it back a few hours shouldn't be a problem

Hardly. What if you get up at 5am for work and live on the East Coast? I cannot be expected to play a game until 2 am and still perform at work. See? Problems all around. 

Let's agree to disagree, because I can just as easily say you can leave your job early peeling avocados at Whole foods and make it in time for 4pm CW, just as easily as you can tell me to stay up until 2am and then work all day.

Smart people would tell you to slot your West coasters later and East coasters earlier but that's the simple solution and who wants that?