Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
NemOmeN

Smoke or no smoke?

9 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
211 battles

OK so I'm very new to this game, but being myself, I looked at some videos to give me some idea what to do when I actually started playing.  I'm liking DDs the best but there's a question here that needs answering or maybe unpacking.

Do I smoke the line of advance or not?

The way I read things, as long as I or someone else on the team is either in advance of the smoke or on the flank of the smoke with clear LOS to enemies, the smoke is a net benefit to our side, as it provides some concealment from spotting to the ships behind me.  We spot them from the advance/flank unit, but they may not spot us.  

However, when I apply this in game, I get comments that lead me to believe the other players don't think that.  

I'm confused- can some kind soul out there unconfuse me?  And please tell me WHY one way or the other.  'Don't smoke' is what I'm getting now- variants on the same advice won't be helpful.  I need to understand the reasons.

Thanks!

[BLHK]
Members
472 posts
3,673 battles
11 minutes ago, NemOmeN said:

OK so I'm very new to this game, but being myself, I looked at some videos to give me some idea what to do when I actually started playing.  I'm liking DDs the best but there's a question here that needs answering or maybe unpacking.

Do I smoke the line of advance or not?

The way I read things, as long as I or someone else on the team is either in advance of the smoke or on the flank of the smoke with clear LOS to enemies, the smoke is a net benefit to our side, as it provides some concealment from spotting to the ships behind me.  We spot them from the advance/flank unit, but they may not spot us.  

However, when I apply this in game, I get comments that lead me to believe the other players don't think that.  

I'm confused- can some kind soul out there unconfuse me?  And please tell me WHY one way or the other.  'Don't smoke' is what I'm getting now- variants on the same advice won't be helpful.  I need to understand the reasons.

Thanks!

As a cruiser driver. Dont smoke on first contact. wait a few seconds and see who has the advantage. Example if it is you and me against 5 red......smoke and pray. If you have a couple of cruisers and BB backing you up against a cruiser, try not to smoke so your back up can bring the maximum number of guns to bare.

Members
727 posts

As a general rule of thumb from an experienced DD main... (I have more than a few T10's)

Your team will treat you like their slave. They will bark orders at you. Command you to capture. Send you into harms way. Moan and complain. Blame losses on you or the carrier...

They will almost never be as aware of the battlefield and enemy locations as you. They will get you killed if they command you to deploy smoke whenever they wish... their goals can be selfish at times.

Smoke is a DEFENSE mechanism to increase the odds of survivability for the destroyer. It's not a perk for other players. However there are situations when laying a giant smoke screen in between islands is an excellent idea. But only experience will teach you when and where...

Save your smoke for when you need it to save your own a$$. Destroyers are the spear-point of any good naval force, and WoWs is no different. They direct where the team goes. They spot, screen, protect, and annihilate. Without destroyers an entire team can be doomed. It is absolutely paramount that you survive. You are a "glass cannon" class.

I'm not saying to never help allies with smoke... I'm saying you better think twice about how you use the smoke. If you die, they die... and your teams chance of losing increases with every sunken destroyer.

Deploy smoke for team-mates when it is "mutually beneficial" only.

Edited by ElectroVeeDub

Members
1,596 posts
8,722 battles

Hey

One thing to remember also is that if your the DD doing your job of spotting and then you smoke up; your team may lose your spotting and won't be able to spot enemy ships.  If they can't see the ships, then they can't engage those same ships, which ultimately helps you out in the long run.  Hopefully, your team is willing to push instead of hiding in the back, behind islands for 1/2 the game, like we see many times.  I can't stand to see DD's work at capping and getting cruiser support but then the BB's are still camping back at spawn.  Some DD's like American DD have a very long lasting smoke which makes for a good screen for your team, just remember you will have to spot for them.  Other dd's like Germans barely get enough smoke to help anyone but themselves and it doesn't last long.  If I see a BB or a cruiser that is clearly trying to disengage, smoke him up to give him a break especially if there is no penalty for you in doing so; if the guy is going to die anyways, then save your smoke but remember he might be your biggest ally later in the game.  Nothing is more dangerous than a late game DD with lots of health.

Pete

[DAY]
Members
22 posts
6,209 battles

As long as you can keep spotting enemy, smoking is fine.

If the smoke will kill all the vision of your team, smoke will kill your teammate.

And BTW, smoke is torpedoes magnet, once you pop smoke there is about a hundred coming toward it.

Sign in to follow this