24 comments in this topic

Members
523 posts

Is Vanguard as bad as they say she is? I was considering getting her until my clan leader told me how messed up she is. I got my Warspite via he Royal Navy Event, and she's a fantastic ship; and I was hoping to have Vanguard alongside her. But after hearing all the negative things about it, I wonder if its really worth it. 

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
14,008 posts
5,814 battles

So far I've only played 3 games with Vanguard, and still finding my feet. They were all losses too because constant uptiering and weekend teams, but all tier 8s have to deal with that.

The biggest complaint I've seen is that because the firing angles are bad, Vanguard is easily citadelled. I can say that I've not been citadelled yet, because of angling. The citadel is slightly above the waterline, but by no means is Vanguard a squishy cruiser made of citadel. The firing angles are bad, but Vanguard has great rudder shift and decent turret traverse. With Jack/Bert Dunkirk one can get the turret traverse down to 30 seconds, which is fine. With constant movement, map awareness and angling, I think the citadel and firing angle issue is overblown. It's not like in the heat of battle, there will always be enemy ships with their guns pointed at Vanguard, just waiting for her to show broadside.

That my 2 pennies about her. I think Vanguard is fine. Not an overpowered premium, but just average with strengths and weaknesses. Certainly Vanguard imho is not 'garbage' like some believe.

• Cool 4

Members
523 posts
8 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

So far I've only played 3 games with Vanguard, and still finding my feet. They were all losses too because constant uptiering and weekend teams, but all tier 8s have to deal with that.

The biggest complaint I've seen is that because the firing angles are bad, Vanguard is easily citadelled. I can say that I've not been citadelled yet, because of angling. The citadel is slightly above the waterline, but by no means is Vanguard a squishy cruiser made of citadel. The firing angles are bad, but Vanguard has great rudder shift and decent turret traverse. With Jack/Bert Dunkirk one can get the turret traverse down to 30 seconds, which is fine. With constant movement, map awareness and angling, I think the citadel and firing angle issue is overblown. It's not like in the heat of battle, there will always be enemy ships with their guns pointed at Vanguard, just waiting for her to show broadside.

That my 2 pennies about her. I think Vanguard is fine. Not an overpowered premium, but just average with strengths and weaknesses. Certainly Vanguard imho is not 'garbage' like some believe.

Thanks for a sane minded overview. I hope someone gifts her to me for my birthday next week. I couldn't care less if she is bad or not, Vanguard is a Battleship I must own.

[TOG]
Members
4,321 posts
27,594 battles
1 hour ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

I looked at Flamu's video on his Vanguard review and to play the vanguard effectively, you have to be a moving target at long range. Snipe at broadside cruisers. Your worst enemies would be ships like the DM, Hindy, Zao, Yamato and Musashi.

[PVE]
Members
11,071 posts
19,193 battles
2 hours ago, CaptainKiwi_2016 said:

Thanks for a sane minded overview. I hope someone gifts her to me for my birthday next week. I couldn't care less if she is bad or not, Vanguard is a Battleship I must own.

She has a great heal, that has fast cool down and good AA. If some one wants to buy it for me also, my Birthday is the 20th. I want it with the Dreadnought though.

[SPTR]
Members
27,590 posts
17,882 battles

She's good but she needs to be broadside to be good, she also needs to be broadside for any BB thats not a Yamato or Musashi to easily cit her. So she needs not to be in brawling range especially the 32mm all round hull armor and the absence (somewhat) of a superheal so stay back and snipe at 14-16km.

Unfortunately my Henri IV likes feasting on them too.

Beta Testers
3,304 posts
26,945 battles
28 minutes ago, CaptainKiwi_2016 said:

Thanks for all the positives. This is a battleship I want with a sore heart but can't pay for it. 

My birthday was yesterday and I treated myself to these new toys .   I've sent you an early birthday gift good luck have fun , see you on the high seas 

Members
78 posts
4,061 battles

Feels a lot like Hood, I was never afraid of being up tiered in Hood though.

I'm struggling to do damage in this thing compared to other high tier BBs. The gun angles are ehh. Feels like I'm playing NC/Mass with missing guns at times.

Still trying work out a way to play it. Really makes me appreciate Bismarck/Tirpitz armour even though the guns are wonky.

Edited by VanillaPepsi

[UTWE]
Members
408 posts
7,764 battles

Didn't know you could ask random strangers for birthday gifts until now. My birthday is on the 20th *wink wink* (don't expect anything to come from this just don't have enough money for Vanguard right now).

Members
343 posts
5,730 battles

Played a few games with her so far, some good and some bad. Overall I like the ship, she has cruiser like handling and the guns are accurate and consistent. Sure her DPM isn't amazing and her turrert arcs arn't either, but you can't have everything. Otherwise you'll end up with broken OP ships that are constant headache to balance. Haven't noticed much about the citadel as of yet, if you keep angled you are pretty safe. She isn't a typical BB but can be loads of fun dodging shells and sniping ships from a distance.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,932 posts
39,101 battles
5 hours ago, Bill_Halsey said:

I looked at Flamu's video on his Vanguard review and to play the vanguard effectively, you have to be a moving target at long range. Snipe at broadside cruisers. Your worst enemies would be ships like the DM, Hindy, Zao, Yamato and Musashi.

My impression from videos and comments is that Vanguard might be fun but has little carry potential. Sniping cruisers always is fun.  Tier 6-8 games should be great.  However, Tier 10 not so much and you see those a lot with a Tier 8. Flamu mentioned his inability to do anything to a Des Moines. 

Yamato and Musashi are every ship’s worst enemy. Looks like Vanguard has to worry about everything.  

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,504 posts
6,382 battles
6 hours ago, Bill_Halsey said:

One thing it looks like Flamu got wrong is the 32mm citadel rooff.  If you watch his initial preview video of the Vanguard, from prior to its citadel being lowered, it had a ~150mm citadel roof.  That 150mm armor is still there, it just has a gap between it and the 32mm citadel roof.

Members
523 posts
On 11/17/2018 at 5:05 PM, KURT_WOLFF said:

My birthday was yesterday and I treated myself to these new toys .   I've sent you an early birthday gift good luck have fun , see you on the high seas 

I've received it. Thank you good sir! You've helped make my 23rd birthday really special! I now have Dreadnought, Warspite, and Vanguard, 3 ships I can cherish! Hope to catch you on the high seas! Wishing you the best! :cap_viking::fish_aqua::fish_aqua::Smile_honoring:

[PSA]
Members
5,116 posts
3,732 battles

I'm always amused by people comparing this ship to the Hood given how wildly different they play. Vanguard has great guns and terrible armor and angling. Hood has meh guns and amazing armor and angling.

I too would like Vanguard to add to my RN BB premium collection. It's just that I was not one of those lucky people to get a coupon, and right now, I simply can't afford the 70 bucks CDN it would cost me to get one :(

Members
523 posts
6 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

I'm always amused by people comparing this ship to the Hood given how wildly different they play. Vanguard has great guns and terrible armor and angling. Hood has meh guns and amazing armor and angling.

I too would like Vanguard to add to my RN BB premium collection. It's just that I was not one of those lucky people to get a coupon, and right now, I simply can't afford the 70 bucks CDN it would cost me to get one :(

If I got lucky, you can get lucky too, just believe. ;) 

[WOLF2]
Members
251 posts
7,708 battles

Ah I've only played a few games in her but she does seem to play more like Hood than Warspite. Her guns are better than Hoods, and Hoods armor holds up a bit better (I have hood /nelson /warspite /vanguard) but like hood the trick with vanguard is to MOVE. Her guns won't dominate in her tier like warspite does in hers. But she can absolutely dance with her ruddershift. And she is fast enough. You take her up close to brawl like warspite and the bigger guns will wreck you. I think she's a little underpowered but playable and enjoyable. 

I think if they had made her a little faster or gave her a few more KM of range or a little more protection from HE(only one of the three) she would of been perfect and still not OP.

[SCREW]
Members
435 posts
20,708 battles

The biggest problem I see with vanguard is her guns. The reload is great, the traverse is good, and they have good velocity. But they're only 381mm. They don't have the ability to overmatch t8 and higher cruiser bow armor, which means you can't really play her close in, as i prefer to do. In comparison, the Roma can get away with having this size gun because they have greater penetration potential, and the insane turret traverse speed and rear firing arc means you can perfrom a close pass on a broadside ship, unload a full broadside, and remain relatively safe from return fire. Vanguard doesn't have this luxury. By know means is she a bad ship, she just doesn't allow for typical battleship play. You have to maintain more of a crusier mindset with this one. 

Members
2 posts

Vanguard is the worst premium ship I have in my port,I wonder why I haven't sold it yet,to shoot he has to show his whole side,and because the 8 tier play very often with the 10 tier lives for very little,he gave it to me as a gift in a container,not worth even 10 doubloons.

Members
11 posts
190 battles

Well I just started WoWs just about a week ago... And I bought a few of the bigger Santa crates, can't remember if the middle size ones or the top end ones. And this Vanguard came out of one.

Now I'm still trying to get the jist of playing tiers 2 and 3 without being a torpedo magnet.... I don't even have two dozen matches.

So I hope my Vanguard doesn't rust away in port while I try to "get more gooder" before I jump into tier 8 with this thing. Don't want to be "that guy".

[WAMMY]
Members
2,586 posts
14,438 battles

Hey

Its a port queen for me, I find the guns very under whelming in accuracy and damage.  The armor is kind of pathetic and most people just revert to slinging HE with it and I don't like the idea of HE only shooting BB's, not how they were designed.  I would not recommend Vanguard to anyone.  Sad, considering it was the last WW2 BB produced.

Pete