You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Hassan_T

New Midway Player

16 comments in this topic

[TBOW]
Members
49 posts
2,879 battles

Hey all. I have recently acquired the Midway after speeding through the Essex and Lexington which have served me well and I did quite well in. Its a whole different ball game at T10 and I just find myself getting clubbed over and over and over even though this never happened in the Essex. What gives? I am okay with the bombing but I lack alot in fighter control and strafing. How can I fix this? Thanks, Hassan

[WOLF5]
Members
1,672 posts
2,343 battles

You sped through Lexington and Essex, what did you expect? I'd really suggest going back to Lexington and playing it more. Lower tier ships teach you very valuable things that are essential to succeed at high tiers. Applies to every ship, but especially CVs.

[TBOW]
Members
49 posts
2,879 battles
40 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

You sped through Lexington and Essex, what did you expect? I'd really suggest going back to Lexington and playing it more. Lower tier ships teach you very valuable things that are essential to succeed at high tiers. Applies to every ship, but especially CVs.

How many battles would you say I should have? I have 64 battles in Lexington and 41 in Essex currently

Edited by Hassan_T

[RLGN]
Members
8,669 posts
17,921 battles
39 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Or just don't even worry about it. Play carriers in Co-op or just quit using them.

Switching over to a completely new set of controls sooner or later anyway; and being good at the old system doesn't mean a hill of beans with the new.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,672 posts
2,343 battles
1 hour ago, Hassan_T said:

How many battles would you say I should have? I have 64 battles in Lexington and 41 in Essex currently

That's actually a decent number, when you said sped I was thinking like 5 battles. I think you just need practice, maybe try cooperating too. T10 CVs, you're either predator or prey, no in between.

Also, in 6 months they'll be changed massively. I'm actually one of the testers for the rework right now and pretty much everything you know is going out the window.

[TBOW]
Members
49 posts
2,879 battles
39 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

That's actually a decent number, when you said sped I was thinking like 5 battles. I think you just need practice, maybe try cooperating too. T10 CVs, you're either predator or prey, no in between.

Also, in 6 months they'll be changed massively. I'm actually one of the testers for the rework right now and pretty much everything you know is going out the window.

When I said sped through I meant I had a decent time with them and was able to get past them without much difficulty. I am also a tester for the new CVs and I am not fond of them and will probably trade them in once the rework hits. Coop doesnt really help much since the bots cant strafe and the fighter rng is skewed towards you

[PQUOD]
Members
414 posts
6,827 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

I like the T4 and T5 carrier play because no straffing. I do have the T6 and T7 but don't play them much. I originally was going to try and grind to the T10 eventually but put it on pause till after the rework.

[RLGN]
Members
8,669 posts
17,921 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

Yep.

Right now I can't even make the controls work. Everything's too sensitive, the target reticules swing too wildly; whatever this 'dodging AA' is supposed to be doesn't exist as far as I can tell; fighters never place where you want them, you can't control the carrier if you're flying planes... (apparently WG feels you shouldn't be 'distracted' by your ship while you're 'having fun' controlling your planes...)

What a load of tripe; having all my planes get shot down and scoring no hits; sure is fun all right.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,672 posts
2,343 battles
3 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Yep.

Right now I can't even make the controls work. Everything's too sensitive, the target reticules swing too wildly; whatever this 'dodging AA' is supposed to be doesn't exist as far as I can tell; fighters never place where you want them, you can't control the carrier if you're flying planes... (apparently WG feels you shouldn't be 'distracted' by your ship while you're 'having fun' controlling your planes...)

What a load of tripe; having all my planes get shot down and scoring no hits; sure is fun all right.

Yeah, it needs some work for sure. The controls are screwy for me as well, really having a hard time aiming with DBs and attack craft. And yeah, the whole "can't control CV while controlling planes" is just moronic. I got torped the other day, had to send my full torp squadron back just to hit damage control. That makes sense. Also, pretty sure the aim reticle for DBs is bugged, because it takes a couple seconds to appear, which really doesn't help aiming. Overall I think it's going the right direction, but it's a long way from the live server right now.

[FTH]
[FTH]
Members
303 posts
11,566 battles

It's probably redundant my suggesting this, but make sure your commander has  dogfighting expert...I thought mine did, wasn't until I dragged it down to Bogue for the ranked sprints I realized I didn't have it...until they took away Midways T10 planes, having it didn't help much except on ammo, but now with only T9 planes vs Hak's T10s, the DPS advantage is worth it...also, divs with AA cruisers are your friend.

[TBOW]
Members
49 posts
2,879 battles
12 hours ago, Purg473 said:

It's probably redundant my suggesting this, but make sure your commander has  dogfighting expert...I thought mine did, wasn't until I dragged it down to Bogue for the ranked sprints I realized I didn't have it...until they took away Midways T10 planes, having it didn't help much except on ammo, but now with only T9 planes vs Hak's T10s, the DPS advantage is worth it...also, divs with AA cruisers are your friend.

Yup I have had it since Ranger cuz it helps in fighting Saipans and Haks when your in Midway

[BUOY]
Members
325 posts
3,459 battles
3 minutes ago, Hassan_T said:

Yup I have had it since Ranger cuz it helps in fighting Saipans and Haks when your in Midway

If I ever see you on my team potatoing in a midway I will report you. If I see you one the enemy team potatoing I will report you.  Just wait a bit longer and the CV rework will hit the live servers. no use in learning the RTS gameplay style where many unicum players have mastered it and now just club newer players. I dont mean to discourage you, but its better to not use a ship where it heavily impacts the winning chances of your team. just my opinion. 

Also CV fighters are just not for strafin and fighting enemy fighter planes. it should be used as a spotting weapon and keep the enemy DDs lit up. thats what makes the difference in a good and bad CV player. bad CV players just go to kill the enemy planes which is not the CV gameplay is all about. maybe watch some youtube videos on CV play

[FTH]
[FTH]
Members
303 posts
11,566 battles

Hassan...as you can tell from the above poster, CV players aren't real popular...my advice is run the AP DB's and if you see him on the enemy team throw the sink at him, lol...providing it won't cost you a full plane strike to do it. Kiss karma good bye, since people will report you if you don't cover every move they make (they seem to forget there's 6 squads on a Midway, only 2 of them fighters now, and 11 other ships to watch)...if you don't have thick skin already, now's a great time to develop it...other than that, tune out in-game chat for the most part other than which ones have DC'd etc...

[BZERK]
Members
723 posts
3,281 battles

Ever since someone reported me while I was in my Lexington (or was it in my Ranger, I forget) because I was getting shut down by the enemy CV's fighters and they had like all good AA ships, I quit giving a f__k what other people thought. Just play the game and ignore what people say in chat. As Farazellath said in one of his carrier guide intro videos, you should be helping out other people on your team, but you're not their own personal air force. 

[ARRGG]
Members
4,763 posts
7,686 battles
On 11/11/2018 at 4:44 PM, Hassan_T said:

Hey all. I have recently acquired the Midway after speeding through the Essex and Lexington which have served me well and I did quite well in. Its a whole different ball game at T10 and I just find myself getting clubbed over and over and over even though this never happened in the Essex. What gives? I am okay with the bombing but I lack alot in fighter control and strafing. How can I fix this? Thanks, Hassan

X games are brutal on game errors, you make a mistake.. you pay .. since the advent of Clan battles it’s now crystal clear that the team that fights as a team wins there’s no room for lone wolf stuff unless your a lucky good DD player, definitely not a Cruiser unless you’re an Island camper , but that’s not my style

ask for support and try and bond as a fighting unit, not easy in Random with players you just meet Div up

also you may have developed some habits that the enemy team didn’t capitalize on but in X were ships shoot further hit harder DDs spot better you don’t want to be caught alone without support and get focus fired on 

Edited by HMCS_Devilfish