Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
heave_ho

sounds of the Great Wars end....

7 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
61 posts
6,789 battles

The sound of birds returning so soon after the guns fall silent is one of the sadist things I have ever heard.

November 11th 1918  11:00 AM, the Great War ends….. Heart wrenching to think that the armistice had been signed some 6 hours earlier and still those in command let the fighting continue until the appointed hour…. Such senselessness as hundreds if not thousands lost their lives in those few hours before the wars official ending…

Edited by heave_ho
  • Cool 4

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,295 posts
7,571 battles
5 minutes ago, heave_ho said:

The sound of birds returning so soon after the guns fall silent is one of the sadist thing I have ever heard.

don't you mean the opposite? those birds are the sound of peace. But a great find that audio track, nonetheless!

[BLHK]
Members
474 posts
3,673 battles
1 hour ago, heave_ho said:

true the sounds of peace... but still sad...

I think it is fake. Most reports, even miles from the front reported cheering as the guns fell silent.

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,295 posts
7,571 battles
36 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

I think it is fake. Most reports, even miles from the front reported cheering as the guns fell silent.

I personally doubt the Imperial War Museum would publish a) a fake document, and b) present it as factual, c) they did neither

As often is the case, a quick Google helps to clarify : 

https://codatocoda.com/blog/making-a-new-world-armistice-soundwave/

and reddit (short summary)

[BLHK]
Members
474 posts
3,673 battles
50 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I personally doubt the Imperial War Museum would publish a) a fake document, and b) present it as factual, c) they did neither

As often is the case, a quick Google helps to clarify : 

https://codatocoda.com/blog/making-a-new-world-armistice-soundwave/

And if you read the article you will notice they say it is not real. It is a reconstruction based on a graph of pressure waves detected by a sound ranging device. Birds dont sing loud enough to generate pressure waves. If I recall correctly pressure waves dont begin to generate until the sound wave reaches 170 decibels. Which is pretty common for even medium caliber guns to produce. 

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,295 posts
7,571 battles
3 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

And if you read the article you will notice they say it is not real. It is a reconstruction based on a graph of pressure waves detected by a sound ranging device. Birds dont sing loud enough to generate pressure waves. If I recall correctly pressure waves dont begin to generate until the sound wave reaches 170 decibels. Which is pretty common for even medium caliber guns to produce. 

Good point. Worth making to IWM (via twitter for example) and the company that did the reconstruction (CodaCoda), they ought to be able to repudiate/confirm your doubts. 

Sign in to follow this