You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
barbaroja_Ar

Help on Baltimore

14 comments in this topic

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
452 posts
10,696 battles

After a long time not playing it decided to give a try once more.

This ship with a 14 points captain (PT, AR, SI, AFT) feels like crap.

Turret traverse & reload is awful, can´t fight a same tier gun DD because it burns me down.

Seems RNG is not with me, because setting a fire is impossible.

Not enough islands in game to make this ship anything close to fun to play.

Any hint in captain skills or playing tips, seems this ship is going to rest in the dock.

Members
4,928 posts
5,713 battles

PT, EM, SE(personal preference) or DE, CE to start. Now that Baltimore is T8 and no longer possesses a heal, SI isn't necessary in the first 10 captain points. At 14 points I'd go with AR as the 5th selected skill and either grind up to a 3 pointer or if you don't feel that AR is helping at all, go with vigilance.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
358 posts
4,642 battles

Baltimore gets the super heavy AP shells, allowing the same levels of penetration as Des Moines. You get a broadside cruiser, you can hit it hard, and do so easier than other nations due to the favorable US AP angles.

If you have John Doe/Halesy, I'd highly, highly recommend the skill that switches your ammo type 75% faster. This allows you to turn your HE to AP and vice versa when the situation calls for it. Without that, you're not able to easily punish other cruisers that dare show you their citadel unless you plan for it well in advance. It's the kind of skill that you don't know how much you need it till you actually have it, and honestly makes US guns so much more comfortable than others, at least to me. I use this commander on my mess of US premiums, and it makes them all more enjoyable, though the DDs rarely actually get to use it. They're DDs after all, so the times you get to cit a cruiser are rare at best, really. Even the base 50% one can be useful on a cruiser, even if the 75% one is obviously better.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
8 posts
2,828 battles

So someone enlighten me on CE please.  I use it on all my DDs of course, but I keep seeing peeps reference it for other ship types as well.  My concern is once you shoot one round you are detected for quite a while so the CE becomes useless?  Maybe I misunderstand the skill.  But it seems like it will only help you if you do not shoot?

Please enlighten/educate me.

I am stuck on which skill to use on the 4th line for my Baltimore Captain.

Thanks in advance for any help/education.

[FTH]
[FTH]
Members
310 posts
11,642 battles

CE is used more before the shooting starts, and after it starts...if you find yourself up a particular creek without a propulsion device, go dark and move elsewhere...it also may mean the difference in making cover unspotted (such as getting to one of the islands on a map or having to fire from open water).

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
412 posts
7,346 battles
18 minutes ago, MachineCorps said:

So someone enlighten me on CE please.  I use it on all my DDs of course, but I keep seeing peeps reference it for other ship types as well.  My concern is once you shoot one round you are detected for quite a while so the CE becomes useless?  Maybe I misunderstand the skill.  But it seems like it will only help you if you do not shoot?

concealment for the US Heavy and Light cruiser lines are highly favorable considering the fact that US cruisers accuracy at range plummets due to the shells flight time. With concealment, you can get in far closer making your shots count and if things go bad, it allows you to escape alive rather than dying.

at a full concealment build, your ship's radar and concealment almost meet. This means that DD's that can spot you, can now be spotted by you. This is especially helpful because at the range of your radar, you've got the overwhelming advantage for the time that radar is active and your shells can actually hit the little buggers.

If finding yourself in a gunfight against a gunboat at a range beyond 10km's, either stop firing and go dark, or run. You'll probably never kill a Russian DD racing at 45knots or the Japanese gunboats if they are at maximum range or (hell) just outside of 10km's.

Another reason why concealment is good is that it allows you to sneak up on several of the more powerful heavy cruisers and potentially catch them off guard. Russia, France, Japan, Germany. They are all very good at long-range combat; considering that they can easily hit a Russian gunboat well enough at range. Baltimore and other US ships... not so much. They do far better at a much closer range where their shots miss less. Because at long-range, those other cruisers will certainly have far better accuracy.

Now, here's a little detail about the Baltimore and most other US Heavies. Their frontal armor is particularly good. You're not going to be tanking Battleship shells, but if you get in close, point your nose at the enemy ship and make your shells count, you will win most battles against any other cruiser in close-quarters combat. Mogami will want to turn to get it's other guns on you (switch to AP and make him regret it), Chapy's armor is far weaker than the front armor of your Baltimore (and will likely panic if caught in close combat), You had best win against the Edinburg or you need to practice a lot more, the French cruiser (whatever its name is) is a equal contender, but you should be able to outlast him or (hopefully) have allies to give you a hand. <You can attempt to force him to want to use his torps, at which time your AP will rip him apart. And the German cruiser (again, drawing a blank and too lazy to go look it up) has the same problem as Mogami with only 4 guns facing forward; making people want to turn to get the rest of the guns on target.

The US 203mm guns are lethal; both with HE and AP. The key is to know when and where to use which shell type. If something is broadside to you and within 10km's ALWAYS use AP. Further out and it can be iffy due to the plunging fire not getting through some deck armor; but is still reliable against most cruisers up to 15km's or so. Rely on HE the majority of the time until someone gives you a broadside target and is close enough to get into their Citadel.

And last thing to note; the Baltimore, like most US ships is mostly a "Support" ship. Don't try to tackle the enemy alone and be sure to support your allies. This means screen against DD's for you BB's and use your AA to defend against planes. Don't try to push up or do anything without support. In many of the other cruisers, you can afford to be a bit of a lone wolf, but the Baltimore is very reliant on being part of a team.

• Cool 3

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,339 posts
11,865 battles
16 hours ago, MachineCorps said:

You're detected for 20 seconds, then your stealth comes back and you can cloak up (assuming no cheeky DDs are spotting you).  Sometimes, you have to not shoot in order to live.  I don't like to live without it.  Just like in DDs, stealth is life.  You have to pick when to shoot and when to go dark and just get out of Dodge.

Beta Testers
8 posts
2,828 battles

Beta Testers
8 posts
2,828 battles

Thank SO MUCH for the response guys especially Levits very informative post.  Reading that I realize I am actually totally clueless about playing the Baltimore, but I will go practice using your tips and hints.

Thanks again!

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
412 posts
7,346 battles
2 hours ago, MachineCorps said:

Thanks again!

No problem. I can't promise that what I propose is going to be useful to you because there are a few different ways to play such ships, but those are a few things that I picked up or learned personally from playing through the line.

If you are good, you can actually forgo most of what I said and use the Baltimore and other US heavies for long range. <That is: if you are good at predicting and leading maneuvering enemy ships. I'm not the best and I've got satellite internet forcing me to not even try those long range shots against maneuverable targets lol. But it never slowed me down because there is the close-range/stealth variant that allows me to make up for it.

OH! one more thing.

Now, this is a personal choice, but remember that IFHE is NOT needed on your US Heavies. Concealment is probably the 1st tier 4 capt. skill you will want to pick up. But I would suggest going with boosting AA and secondary gun range as the second and last tier 4. CV's might not be very prevalent, but they do show up from time to time. With the US Cruisers down the whole line possessing great AA, that added range helps to cover your allies and yourself (though I will warn you now, a Des Moines can and will be killed off by AP bombers in one go by a enemy CV (has happened more than once and that alone is enough to warrant the boost in AA defense)) Also, I've found that at tier 10 (with the Des Moines) its secondary guns have actually killed a few DD's every now and then. Rather surprising really. I know it's not often, but I can think of 1 very specific occasion where my secondary's saved me and the game because they could reach out to 6 or 7km's. And have caught a few cruisers and BB's on fire from time to time. <Just a suggestion if you plan on getting really close or have no choice.

Fire Prevention is a good contender, but as a cruiser built for stealth and not intended to be shot to hell and back, I don't often let myself get caught on fire that often lol

Another very important skill to have is getting that +1 to consumables. Those radars and hydro's (as well as heals later on) have come in handy just about every game.

[WOLFB]
Members
153 posts
6,011 battles

I only have about 20 or so games in the T8 Balto (I was working other lines since the split),  but I have gotten back and find her to be a whale of a lot of fun. But I did play the T9 version as well.

Priority Target - It's one thing to be detected, it's another to know that they're actually shooting at you.

Adrenaline Rush - Shoots faster later in the game.

Superintendent - I'm running this now, but not sold on it. May switch to Demolition Expert or BFT. Not going to do it till the CV changes come out.

Concealment Expert - for the reasons above. It's good to become invisible again when the action gets a bit over hot. You'd be amazed at how many times Priority Target said I was aimed at, only to re-vanish before the shells were fired; once or twice a game, maybe.

Expert Marksman - I like to be able to swing the guns a bit faster.

Expert Loader - You should plan on switching back and forth rather often during each game.

One point free at the moment.

I've been running Defensive AA Fire II lately, as there are so many accursed gnat throwers lately. I'd prefer hydro, but what are you gonna do...

Premium radar and premium repair.

Main Armaments Mod 1, DamCon 1, Aiming Systems Mod 1, Steering Gears Mod 2, Concealment Systems Mod 2

Now, this is an arguable setup, I'll grant you. I'm not even sold on it. But it works, and it's fun. 

I try to get at about a 45 degree angle to a cap and turn bow-on to the approaching ships; if possible, within radar range of the entire cap. I try to get an island on one side of me, as protection against torps and shell fire from my flanks. In general, I can pretty much forget that I have aft guns. If they can be brought to bear on a target, swell. If not, I don't worry much about them. Stay bow-on to everything you can, and avoid giving more than about 45 degrees of your broadside to anybody. When the big dogs start throwing shells at you, back away and point straight at them; forward, reverse, forward, reverse, repeat - throw their aim off.

Just yesterday, I had an Alsace at about 8km (I still want to say 8000 yards....metric....blech), with a Des Moines coming behind her in support. The Alsace was largely distracted. by other ships, and could only shoot at me with her stern guns (her forward guns were busy). I was bow-on and had my flank protected by an island. Only one enemy ship could fire on me at a time. I didn't sink the Alsace, but I did help rip her to shreds. HE till she caught fire, then AP till she tried to flee, then HE till someone else got the last shot. So convincing was the situation that the Des Moines abandoned the push and reversed away (and eventually right into a point-blank shot from one of the BBs behind me). I also went bow-on to six enemy ships (accidentally misread the mini map and thought I was up against one ship when it was really the remainder of the enemy fleet). It was me and a Richelieu, and I was bow-on while the Rich was in a bad way. We actually held on long enough to deflect the enemy push, maybe two minutes, and at one point I had 4 firing at me. In another game there was a North Carolina lurking somewhere off on my flank that I didn't see until she turned me into an oil slick. I was broadside to her, fat dumb and happy, and just waiting to be deleted.

The Balto is a beast, but a situational beast. Bow-on you can stand up to anything for a while - even Musashi and Yamato (albeit briefly). And the AP shells will damage even the heartiest BB if you aim at their soft spot. Eventually, you'll get the RNG back to get the fires with HE too. Server average damage with the Balto is about 33k, but I'm managing about 50k by playing her this way. Don't give up on her - she can be a ton of fun.

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
452 posts
10,696 battles
On 11/11/2018 at 10:46 PM, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Baltimore gets the super heavy AP shells, allowing the same levels of penetration as Des Moines. You get a broadside cruiser, you can hit it hard, and do so easier than other nations due to the favorable US AP angles.

If you have John Doe/Halesy, I'd highly, highly recommend the skill that switches your ammo type 75% faster. This allows you to turn your HE to AP and vice versa when the situation calls for it. Without that, you're not able to easily punish other cruisers that dare show you their citadel unless you plan for it well in advance. It's the kind of skill that you don't know how much you need it till you actually have it, and honestly makes US guns so much more comfortable than others, at least to me. I use this commander on my mess of US premiums, and it makes them all more enjoyable, though the DDs rarely actually get to use it. They're DDs after all, so the times you get to cit a cruiser are rare at best, really. Even the base 50% one can be useful on a cruiser, even if the 75% one is obviously better.

Helsey is on the way!

Thanks

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
452 posts
10,696 battles
On 11/13/2018 at 12:34 PM, Grflrgl said:

The Balto is a beast

Sure it is, but Cleveland feels much more confortable.