You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tigerspook

Gaede's detectibility

7 comments in this topic

Members
51 posts
848 battles

I am enjoying the Gaede but my goodness the detection on it gets me killed unless I play it like a cruiser, which also eventually gets me killed.

Captain skills are Preventive Maintenance, Last Stand, and Survivability Expert.  Ship has the B hull and torp upgrade.

I don't have Concealment Expert yet.  What are some things a new-ish player can do to help Gaede survive?

[HELLS]
Members
1,865 posts
18,076 battles

Use her speed and smoke. Gaede has decent speed with a speed flag up and can get out of trouble using both. The B hull is fine but I would not upgrade the guns as the smaller guns have a higher rate of fire. The bigger guns force you to play her more like a cruiser because of the lower ROF, and that can limit your torpedo opportunities due to the longer range you must work from. The bigger guns hit a lot harder but are not well suited for knife fights with other DDs. I kept my smaller guns in inventory and swap them out depending on what the mission goals are when i play the ship, as there is no cost involved in the swap. Very much a different play style from other DD lines.

[TBW]
Members
6,966 posts
12,900 battles
45 minutes ago, Tigerspook said:

I am enjoying the Gaede but my goodness the detection on it gets me killed unless I play it like a cruiser, which also eventually gets me killed.

Captain skills are Preventive Maintenance, Last Stand, and Survivability Expert.  Ship has the B hull and torp upgrade.

I don't have Concealment Expert yet.  What are some things a new-ish player can do to help Gaede survive?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gaede+world+of+warships

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,484 posts
10,170 battles
14 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Use her speed and smoke. Gaede has decent speed with a speed flag up and can get out of trouble using both. The B hull is fine but I would not upgrade the guns as the smaller guns have a higher rate of fire. The bigger guns force you to play her more like a cruiser because of the lower ROF, and that can limit your torpedo opportunities due to the longer range you must work from. The bigger guns hit a lot harder but are not well suited for knife fights with other DDs. I kept my smaller guns in inventory and swap them out depending on what the mission goals are when i play the ship, as there is no cost involved in the swap. Very much a different play style from other DD lines.

For most people the big guns don't work for them but I would try them to see if they click with you.

Members
51 posts
848 battles
28 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Thanks. I have watched both guides, but usually they use very skilled captains. For example, one guide I watched, and I don't recall which, had a very low detectability range. When the stock detectability is the same as the torp range, it isn't the same. Same thing for ships and fully upgraded ships. Of course the Gaede upgrades pretty fast, unlike BBs.

Edited by Tigerspook

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
791 posts
12,698 battles
1 hour ago, Tigerspook said:

What are some things a new-ish player can do to help Gaede survive?

A couple thoughts.

If you have enough DDs on the team, support a stealthy DD as they try to cap. Stay far enough behind them to avoid being seen until you open fire on the red DD contesting the cap. If the red DD fires, you can often smoke up, the red DD visible to others who will spot for you. As others have said, I prefer the smaller caliber guns for their rate of fire.

Use cover to your advantage, toss torpedoes into likely areas of transit for the red team (or into enemy smoke, if opportunity exists), and try to:

- Stay alive into the late game, where the possibility of fewer red DDs to spot you will give you some torpedo shots on ships approaching your position
- Scout just ahead of your capital ships in order to spot enemy torpedoes. You can more easily avoid them, and the friendlies behind you will generally appreciate knowing well in advance of an incoming torpedo attack
- Manage the grind to a 10-pt. captain as well as you can. Once you pick up Concealment the ship is more fun to play

Respects,

Am

Edited by Amracil

Members
679 posts
4,578 battles

I used the big guns on the Gaede and loved it, but that's my personal preference. I liked the high alpha damage and it seemed like I was knocking out more modules on red DD's. When you knock someone's engine out, even if they repair they've usually slowed down enough that they are easier to hit by both your next volley and any nearby friendlies.

You're really going to want to work up towards getting CE, it does make a big difference. The nice thing about tier VI is that you don't run into many radar ships, so I found that charging towards enemy DD's who have smoked up with your hydro active was fun.