You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tigerspook

Beginner Captain blues

13 comments in this topic

Members
51 posts
848 battles

Beginner to the game. Didn't know what to do with my German BB captains, so they are misconfigured.

These first captains tend to be about level 6 or 7.

1. Use free exp (and advanced captain pts) to fix them? I think not.
2. Spend the doubloons? (maybe)
3. Retire them and start with a new captain?
4. Tough it out and eventually the inefficient skills we be useful.

Also, how many captains do you keep around? I would kind of like to keep using my best captains as I get higher tier ships. If I kept 2 captains per ship class, I could leap-frog these and never have a beginner captain on my best ships.

Example 1: My 2nd best BB captain, a level 6, has the following skills: Expert Loader, Expert Marksman (useless for a BB as far as I can tell), and Adrenaline Rush, with one point unspent because... what a mess.
Example 2: My best captain (level 9 with 3 unspent) isn't a lot better with Expert Loader, AR, and Demo Expert.  4 of the points are mis-spent IMO.

I've been enjoying the game, I don't mind throwing some money WOWS' way for doubloons. But how would you guys fix broken captains?

Members
1,356 posts
7,662 battles

I brought up a singular captain per line as I leveled. I ended up with a single high point captain per line.

A buddy of mine made a new captain for every ship. It took him forever to finally have decent captains on most of his ships. 

In the end however, after many thousands of battles, we both have high point captains on almost all of our ships.

My advice? Level up a single 19 point captain. Captain xp earned on a 19 point captain may be used freely on any other captian. But it's really just as effective to just level them all individually.

Basically, do you want to mow your lawn around the perimeter working inward, or in rows? In the end the yard still gets mowed 

Edited by Spartias
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,341 posts
10,574 battles

Ok for BBs I typically do Preventive Maintenance, Expert Marksman, Basic Fire Training, Advanced Fire Training, Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent, and Concealment Expert as my Basic Battleship Skills if you have no clue what to do with a particular battleship these skills will not hurt you and will help with Turret rotation, gun reload times, AA guns, and secondary guns.

Some Battleship you will use some different skills on them, but the skills I listed you can’t really go wrong using them on a Batteship, they helped me when starting out the game and many of my Battleships still use those skills to this day since they do work.

[PLPT]
Members
204 posts
9,492 battles

Doubloons, or wait for the next season of clan wars. When Clan Wars start they will allow free captain respecs for a few days.

Expert loader on a BB is questionable at this point. Priority target is much more useful. 

Expert marksman is a must for almost all BBs actually, as the turret traverse is so slow. AR is a fantastic skill, I would recommend you wait until you have more points to spend later, but you will still get a use out of it every battle.

Demo expert on a BB is not useless, but much less optimum than Basics of Survivability or Superintendent.

Once you unlock ten points, I would highly recommend Concealment Expert, or Fire Prevention. 

Above ten, I would then go for AR, AFT, BFT, etc.

Edited by Zairinzan
  • Cool 1

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
319 posts
5,710 battles
15 minutes ago, Tigerspook said:

Beginner to the game. Didn't know what to do with my German BB captains, so they are misconfigured.

Also, how many captains do you keep around? I would kind of like to keep using my best captains as I get higher tier ships. If I kept 2 captains per ship class, I could leap-frog these and never have a beginner captain on my best ships.

Example 1: My 2nd best BB captain, a level 6, has the following skills: Expert Loader, Expert Marksman (useless for a BB as far as I can tell), and Adrenaline Rush, with one point unspent because... what a mess.
Example 2: My best captain (level 9 with 3 unspent) isn't a lot better with Expert Loader, AR, and Demo Expert.  4 of the points are mis-spent IMO.

I've been enjoying the game, I don't mind throwing some money WOWS' way for doubloons. But how would you guys fix broken captains?

I made the same mistake with my captains as I started the game. Spent my captain points as I got them. I ended up spending dubs to respec them until I hit a 19pt captain where you can start to use the elite xp.  Do not use free xp for that, free xp is best spent on ship upgrades, not ships and certainly not captain pts.

[SBS]
Members
3,257 posts
2,408 battles

We've all been through it.  The short answer is live and learn.  Most people like to move their captain along as they progress up the tiers.  With your lower skilled captain is possible to tough it out in the free or reduced cost retraining.  At some point that isn't practical any more so you'll want to buy doubloons to retain your captain for your new ship. 

As for fixing less than ideal skills, first is to read up on the captain skills to be sure you understand what they are and how they work.  Then you'll want to read up on the skills you should think take on the line you are grinding.  In your case the German BBs.  Look into all the most common builds people like for these BBs.  Most of the time the captain skills work well for most if not all of the line.  Some lines the ships change and some skill no longer makes sense and you'll need to respec you captain.

Respec'ing costs you doubloons (that you buy with real money).  There are times when it can done for a discount or sometimes even for free when WG has a special.  Discounts happen somewhat often, maybe every 6 weeks or so.  Free respec doesn't happen often.  Its worth investing a few bucks into doubloons to help set your captains up right and retrain them for new ships.  

Again, before you spend money retaining/respec'ing be sure you read up on the best setups.  Good luck.

Members
51 posts
848 battles
1 hour ago, Zairinzan said:

Expert marksman is a must for almost all BBs actually, as the turret traverse is so slow.

Incredulous at this statement, I was forced to read the description again. This time correctly.  It isn't .7% faster rotation, it is 0.7 degrees/second faster. On the Bayern, that's 20%. So I feel better about that.

Edited by Tigerspook
  • Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
8,073 posts
5,494 battles
23 minutes ago, Tigerspook said:

Example 1 - throw that point at Priority Target to know how many people are pointing their guns at you. Expert Marksman assists with speed of turret rotation and is never a waste on a BB, but spending those points early does defer getting other skills till much later.

Example 2 - I think you could make it work with what you've got, but be very careful about which level 4 skill you select.

I think you are probably better off rebuilding new optimised captains from scratch as you move up the line, leaving the current ones in their present ships. If I were you, I would save my doubloons for things with lasting benefit, like permanent camo (for Tier 6 and up ships you intend to keep), port slots, and whatever tech-tree premiums you might want; don't spend them on one-off things.

[A_51]
Members
676 posts

It's your call whether to use doubloons to reset your commanders.  But if you decide to go that route, do it sooner rather than later.  The more commander skills you reset, the higher the cost in doubloons.

Edited by Seaneroo

[PVE]
Members
12,459 posts
8,490 battles
36 minutes ago, Tigerspook said:

8 minutes ago, Tigerspook said:

Incredulous at this statement, I was forced to read the description again. This time correctly.  It isn't .7% faster rotation, it is 0.7 degrees/second faster. On the Bayern, that's 20%. So I feel better about that.

Yeah, the EM skill and the Main Battery Mod 2 are both a little weird in how they calculate their effects. For EM, it is 0.7 degrees/second for guns bigger than 139mm, as you posted and 2.5 deg/sec for the guns 139mm and below. The MBM2 is +15% to the deg/sec rotation rate. So you either have to calculate the deg/sec by dividing 180 deg by the time it takes for the guns to go 180 (180 deg / 30 sec = 6 deg/sec) or look up the deg/sec on the wiki. You then calculate the changes to the deg/sec and find the new 180 deg turn time. For my personal preference, I try to get BB turrets 45 sec for 180 deg or less. Cruisers I try to get to 18-25 sec for 180 deg or less and DDs I try to get 12 or less seconds for 180 deg. I can't always reach these due to other skills that need to be taken, but those are the general goals I try to reach.

There are a lot of special and unique captains that have a Master Marksman (enhanced EM) skill that replaces the regular EM with +3 deg/sec for up to 139mm guns and 1 deg/sec for guns 140mm and up. You can read about them on the wiki and three of the Cmdrs are available in the Arsenal for 35k Coal each. (John Doe, Viktor Znamensky as Franz doesn't get an EM boost.) 

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Unique_Commanders 

As for moving Captains, definitely check out the wiki for all the Cmdr info. Here is the part on redistributing (respec) skills.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander#Redistribute_Commander_Skills

If you have been playing the Halloween OPs with the 19pt Cmdrs, you have been collecting Elite Cmdr XP (ECXP). You can select a drop down to use ECXP instead of doubloons to repec a captain. It costs 10k ECXP per point to respec a Cmdr, so with 60k ECXP you can respec your 6pt Cmdr and with another 90k you can respec your 9pt Cmdr. Since you earn ECXP in the Halloween OPs, because they are 19pt Cmdrs, you can farm enough to respec some of your Cmdrs. The Halloween event is supposed to run until early morning Nov 21st and there will be a PvP Halloween mode for next patch that *may* also come with 19pt Cmdrs. ECXP is also given out periodically in the Daily Chains, 2 - 2,000 ECXP rewards for that day and when you get a 19pt Cmdr for yourself, you can earn your own ECXP.

As for moving Cmdrs up, you pick a tier that you want to move a Cmdr to and plan what you think the Cmdr should have for that tier. Then layout how you want to do the skills in order. I highly, highly suggest spending the first 10 pts getting to the level 4 skills and then get other skills after that. 

Let's take a look at an example. I got the 10pt PA Dasha in the Anniversary event and decided that she would be my T10 Yueyang Cmdr. I have a current 10pt Cmdr that I had been building and he will become my permanent Gadjah Mada Cmdr as I'm keeping that ship once I grind the next one. Both have my basic 10pt DD Cmdr build, PT, LS, SE, CE and I then adjust the other skills to the DD in question. For Yueyang, I'm thinking PT, LS, SE, CE, IFHE, SI and AR, in that order, so that way as I get more Cmdr points, I can use them according to my plan so that when I grind out the YY, the Cmdr should be at 19pts or almost to it. So I play Dasha on my T7 Gadjah Mada to grind the ship and Cmdr out and when I get to the T8 Hsienyang, I will move PA Dasha to that DD and keep grinding. So PA Dasha will be at least an 11pt Cmdr when I get Hsienyang. It costs 30k XP to retrain an 11pt Cmdr, so I will spend the 200k silver to cut that retraining in half and either spend 15k ECXP for the retraining or just use premium PA ships to grind the retraining.  I would suggest doing it this way if earning credits is not a problem. You just keep moving the Cmdr up the tree until you get him/her to the ship you want them to stay on. You are then doing the ship and Cmdr grinds at the same time and doubling your efficiency. 

If you get a premium ship with a Cmdr, reassign the Cmdr to a tech tree ship and grind them to be the permanent Cmdr for one of the tech tree ships you keep. You can swap Cmdrs into a premium ship and not have to do the retraining like a tech tree ship. It really makes premium ships very helpful with the grind. You can win premium ships and/or grind for them in events, so you don't have to buy them if you do not want to. I highly, highly suggest reading LWM reviews on premium ships and checking out other reviews before dropping cash so you have a better idea what you are getting. 

The vast majority of people here are friendly and helpful, so don't hesitate to ask questions. The trolls are just trolls and unfortunately, they like to come up to pester people from time to time. Ignore them and concentrate on the good people. GL&FS o>

• Cool 1

Members
51 posts
848 battles
30 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

The vast majority of people here are friendly and helpful, so don't hesitate to ask questions. The trolls are just trolls and unfortunately, they like to come up to pester people from time to time. Ignore them and concentrate on the good people. GL&FS o>

There are always trolls, but so far everyone on the forum has been helpful. Even in game the worst has been a dufus who would not stop spamming chat. I was unable to silence him, curiously.

[PVE]
Members
12,459 posts
8,490 battles
15 minutes ago, Tigerspook said:

There are always trolls, but so far everyone on the forum has been helpful. Even in game the worst has been a dufus who would not stop spamming chat. I was unable to silence him, curiously.

Yeah, I usually tell the F-key spammers that yes, their F-KEYs work and they usually stop.