You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Tigerspook

How to torp mid-teir

9 comments in this topic

Members
51 posts
848 battles

Hey gang. I'm playing tier 4, 5, and 6 CAs right now.  (Karlsruhe, k-berg, n-berg)  I like accomplishing campaign tasks, and one is to destroy a ship using torps while sailing a CA.  I tried numerous times last night but I just can't get within 6km without someone mauling me to death.  My detection range is over twice the torp range.

What's the technique here? 

[INTEL]
Members
6,909 posts
27,696 battles

That one is tough in PvP. You need to ambush or be in a group. Without team mates (DDs would be good), to distract them and make them their priority instead of you, it will be tough to get within 6km without being blapped.

These cruisers are squishy and their torpedoes are not offensive in nature but meant to be defensive, therefore you have short range but powerful torps.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,512 posts
13,739 battles

It's very situational. I either use island ambushes or closing with a DD camping in smoke. One of those should net you a kill but either could get you sunk although not as quickly as open water torping.

[RKLES]
Members
8,387 posts
10,645 battles

Often the CA torpedoes are last resort or ambush torpedoes. You just kind of end up in a situation where you can use them, but you do not want to try rushing around the map trying to Torpedo ships like a Destroyer does because often that will get you killed.

[PQUOD]
Members
1,077 posts
7,721 battles

A good opportunity would be if you had a group of ships on your team catch a BB off guard and were pummeling it blanket party style. While it is distracted sail in fast and unload every torpedo you have into it.

Another would be skirting islands and catch another CA or a BB (yep they skirt islands sometimes too) and unload on it before it can evade.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,524 posts
10,217 battles
2 hours ago, Tigerspook said:

Hey gang. I'm playing tier 4, 5, and 6 CAs right now.  (Karlsruhe, k-berg, n-berg)  I like accomplishing campaign tasks, and one is to destroy a ship using torps while sailing a CA.  I tried numerous times last night but I just can't get within 6km without someone mauling me to death.  My detection range is over twice the torp range.

What's the technique here? 

You don't have to do every campaign task to complete them. Just re-take any task that you can easily accomplish. Later you can come back to the tougher ones if you want the 100%.

Members
51 posts
848 battles
22 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

You don't have to do every campaign task to complete them. Just re-take any task that you can easily accomplish. Later you can come back to the tougher ones if you want the 100%.

Yeah, I completed the tasks per instructions and was rewarded with 7 days of premium (yay!).  Other than the immediate rewards, is there a benefit of completing the entire campaign?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,524 posts
10,217 battles
1 hour ago, Tigerspook said:

Yeah, I completed the tasks per instructions and was rewarded with 7 days of premium (yay!).  Other than the immediate rewards, is there a benefit of completing the entire campaign?

There is an achievement but I don't know if there is anything beyond the reward for the individual missions.

[ARRGG]
Members
41 posts
6,876 battles

If you have manual secondary skill, train them on the ship you intend to torp. The secondaries provide good distraction while you line up torps for the kill. This works particularlly well on mid health DD's.