You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KaptainKaybe

Dev Blog: Massive Yueyang Nerf

215 comments in this topic

[DRACS]
Members
4,443 posts

This is not a small nerf at all. It now has the gunnery RoF of the Z-52 and Grozovoi ... with none of their tools.

Oh, and the torps also got nerfed. You know, for good measure.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,656 posts
11,722 battles

A bad change. The reason to take her in CB - radar, mobility, stand off torps is not attacked.

For people grinding up though, why look forward to YY after Chung Mu? The DPM will be about identical as Chung Mu has better ROF at 18 RPM to the new 15. The Chung Mu gets a 10.5km range torpedo reloading in 106s vs. YY's new 13.5km torpedo reloading in 156s... 50% longer.

Aren't the T10's supposed to be worth grinding for?

• Cool 7

[WOLF5]
Members
2,163 posts
2,836 battles

So, Yueyang is OP but Harugumo is not? I wasn't even aware that Yueyang was too strong. Don't even see them that often.

• Cool 6

[SIM]
Members
3,610 posts
5,746 battles

I feel like someone at WG got a memo about the Haragumo and misread it as the Yue Yang...

• Cool 2
  • Funny 6

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,912 posts
4,186 battles

Not suprising. 

There is a reason why  YY is the default ship to bring in CW. Because its that much stronger then every other DD. 

Low silhouette makes her harder to hit then the Gearing. She is also not as wide as the Gearing (they are supposed to be the same width but this is for "balance" according to the devs) so she does not take as many pens. 

Her concealment is great. 

radar allows her  to  be immensely powerful in CW. 

ROF was on Gearing levels

Torpedoes are great againts radar cruisers and BB's in CW. 

Even with these changes, i highly doubt the YY will be unseated at the no 1 pick for CW. But atleast this makes the Gearing a bit more viable and opens up options for other DD's. 

It was either they nerf it or they bring up the other DD's to its level. 

• Cool 6

[OO7]
Members
4,485 posts
11,046 battles

So on a dd that cannot torp other dds, they have nerfed the dpm on its guns by 33%. Imagine a battleship getting nerfed from 30 seconds reload to 40 second and the outcry that would ensue. 

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,684 posts
12,344 battles

The Haru is not OP, it has a turning circle bigger than some bb, its slow to take off, slow to stop, has a larger concealment detection that USN, KM and British, and the torp reload is 171 seconds, while an extra 20 seconds seems a bit over the top, they are probably finding that its over all stats are quite high and want to lower them by implementing these changes.

• Cool 3

[SBS]
Members
3,998 posts
2,408 battles
Just now, AJTP89 said:

So, Yueyang is OP but Harugumo is not? I wasn't even aware that Yueyang was too strong. Don't even see them that often.

I think this is telling.  Its fine if a DD is OP using mostly its guns, but not a DDs that is mostly torps.  Double standards.  I call B S.

Edited by Slimeball91
  • Cool 2

[DRACS]
Members
4,443 posts
19 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

Even with these changes, i highly doubt the YY will be unseated at the no 1 pick for CW. But atleast this makes the Gearing a bit more viable and opens up options for other DD's.  

Except that with these changes, YY is no longer capable of duking it out with other DDs around caps.

- Against Gearing, she'll be massively outgunned and outtanked due to Gearing's 21mm belt.
- Against Z-52 ... if Z-52 can Hydro-Smoke, Yueyang will quickly die. And if not, Z-52 might still win if Yueyang shows enough side for Z's AP.
- Against Grozovoi, not a chance in hell. At all. Groz outguns, outtanks, out everything.
- Hell, against even Shima, given all the upcoming buffs to her, even Shima could pose a bit of a threat.

The only thing that Yueyang had for dealing with other DDs was her Gearing guns and rate of fire. She can't torp other DDs in a duel. So now, she's simply toast when other DDs spot her. Sure, she has radar ... but to get radar, she has to give up smoke and vice versa.

EDIT: Note - I am not saying that Yueyang doesn't need a small nerf. But stress on the word 'small'. Losing out over 30% of her gun and torp DPM is not small.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

[-BRS-]
Members
346 posts
17,892 battles

This really blows, I'm 3rd on the NA server with battles played and exclusively play without smoke.  The Legendary Mod sucks too...Maybe they could buff the Legendary Mod and bring my YY back to normal.  Not happy.

• Cool 1

Members
1,456 posts
8,401 battles
40 minutes ago, mofton said:

A bad change. The reason to take her in CB - radar, mobility, stand off torps is not attacked.

For people grinding up though, why look forward to YY after Chung Mu? The DPM will be about identical as Chung Mu has better ROF at 18 RPM to the new 15. The Chung Mu gets a 10.5km range torpedo reloading in 106s vs. YY's new 13.5km torpedo reloading in 156s... 50% longer.

Aren't the T10's supposed to be worth grinding for?

tbh, i find most of the tier 9 DDs to be about as good if not equal to the tier 10s.  at least in randoms. 

fletcher vs gearing, closer now that gearing gets fletcher torps, but gearing doesn't handle as well and currently has to deal with BB AP being a far larger threat.(for now)

the old tashkent was great.   i would imagine its recently buffed version is even better.   add in the fact that the khaba can still eat full pens from BBs and tash cant(with BB AP changes), makes it even better.  it has better torps and more range as well. 

Yug with TRB is a lot more enjoyable than the shima.  plus you get better concealment and you are a  smaller target.  you do get 15 torps without a consumable, and get smoke which gives you an edge there.   but there are times TRB is better. 

Z46 has slightly worse torps, but has the better gun angles.   You spend as much if not more time kiting throughout the match than charging at someone(at least in the beginning), so the rear firing guns make it great for fighting while kiting.  the gun range was the same as enemy radar range, so you could fire, and the moment you leave radar range, you leave your gun bloom.  plus right now, you aren't as thick so BB AP isn't as nasty compared to the z52.

i think the groz is better than the uda, but i rarely see either.   i remember the uda having horrible torp options, and the groz has better torps on top of the other stuff.

hara is strong, but i prefer the kit more.  smaller target, better stealth.  handles better.

idk yet about the RN DDs.  

from what i played/seen, outside of the Uda and jutland(idk enough about them), all of the tier 9 DDs seem solid.  i havent had to deal with a stinker that was FdG, old ibuki,  or old Izu quality.

as for the YY, idk about the changes.   Kinda feels like it might fall in a similar category as the fletch vs gearing.  i am only a few battles from getting the chung mu, so i guess i will see soon enough.

Edited by Frederick_The_Great

[JASH]
Members
3,706 posts
10,210 battles

The proposal prescribes too much, goes too far.

Since YY's small silhouette came up; the Gearing model, among other things, has always sat way too high in the water and at this point should have been fixed years ago.

Edited by MrKillmister

[-K-]
Members
6,292 posts
10,490 battles
32 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Good call.  Is Yueyang really overperforming that much?

13 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

So on a dd that cannot torp other dds, they have nerfed the dpm on its guns by 33%. Imagine a battleship getting nerfed from 30 seconds reload to 40 second and the outcry that would ensue. 

If this goes through, the days of YY being a capable DD hunter/killer are all but gone.  Basically ends up being a psuedo Asashio with those DWTs.

22 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

Low silhouette makes her harder to hit then the Gearing. 

radar allows her  to  be immensely powerful in CW. 

I've always felt, along with many others, that Gearing sits abnormally high in the water.  YY looks like she sits just right.

But does her over-effectiveness in CW really justify a nerf to a ship that is likely middle of the line in randoms?  Then again, maybe that is justification if competitive mode is more valued than general gameplay.

25 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

I feel like someone at WG got a memo about the Haragumo and misread it as the Yue Yang...

Ok, that's funny :etc_swear: right there.  Maybe slap the absurd 1/4 pen rule on YY to justify the RoF nerf......just kidding.  The 1/4 pen HE rule is ridiculous (for Haragumo/Kitakaze) to begin with.

• Cool 1

[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles

The option to get regular torps should be available if YY guns are being nerfed. 

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
346 posts
17,892 battles
6 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

If this goes through, the days of YY being a capable DD hunter/killer are all but gone.  Basically ends up being a psuedo Asashio with those DWTs.

This...

[SALVO]
Members
20,577 posts
20,433 battles
42 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

I have the Harugumo but don't really enjoy playing her that much.  Oh, in the moment, I suppose I  enjoy the constant stream of pewpewpewpew.  But I so wish that WG had just made the tier 10 into more of a "super Kitakaze" than a "super Akizuki".  That is, basically take the Kitty and give her even more speed with the better quality guns of the Harugumo, just not the number.  And perhaps a second torp launcher, or not.  The idea being to not produce a tier 10 IJN gunboat that was a whale with lots of pew-pew, but a speedy gunboat with a reasonable amount of pew-pew.  I don't know if the Harugumo was based on some archived blueprints, or just made up out of whole cloth.  I just find it to be a somewhat unenjoyable slug that's not really that much fun to play, or play against.  And I think that a super-Kitakaze would have been a more enjoyable upgrade at tier 10, rather than the slug with guns.

[CRMSN]
5,912 posts
4,186 battles
19 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

But does her over-effectiveness in CW really justify a nerf to a ship that is likely middle of the line in randoms?  Then again, maybe that is justification if competitive mode is more valued than general gameplay.

There is a thread on reddit about how the Gearing sits to high and how the Gearing is to wide. Essentially the YY (sumner class) and Gearing class have the exact same width and height, however the Gearing sits higher and is wider due to the model being older, so a modelling error on the Gearing side. The Gearing is also longer for extra fuel capacity. 

The devs essentially confirmed the suspicions of the OP, however they stated that the remodeling of the Gearing was low priority and that they dint want to unbalance it by "fixing its modelling mistakes" 

(I can send you the link if you are interested) 

On the second part of your comment, I believe they could of addressed the over performance of the YY in CW differently..  how? not sure.. Radar is already low duration and range. Increasing torpedo spotting distance makes it loose its "flavor" .. Your guess is as good as mine. 

That being said, will this make her less viable in CW? Probably not.. It may make some teams less hesitant to sub in a Gearing though. 

I am expecting a Chung mu nerf though, due to her being the top performer in her tier behind Black.

YY was top performer after Daring, but with 270k + more GP. So I can see why they want to address its performance. 

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
5,188 posts
15,385 battles

I used the Radar YY to Rank out twice. A strong ship in competitive formats. However Radar YY isn't that easy to play in Randoms without helpful team/division mates. I think this is an unjust Nerf of a good Destroyer. Her guns is the only way she can fight destroyers and even than depending on the enemies HP and their aim, a gun fight can be a risky engagement. 

This might be a radical thought but maybe its not that the YY is over preforming but that the rest of the Tier 10 DDs are under preforming. I for one have almost given up playing the Khaba because ever shell hit knocks out something. Even Battleships don't have a problem hitting the Khaba at its max gun range while on speed boost. The Khaba is not fun to play any more. 

[CRMSN]
5,912 posts
4,186 battles
2 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

This might be a radical thought but maybe its not that the YY is over preforming but that the rest of the Tier 10 DDs are under preforming. I for one have almost given up playing the Khaba because ever shell hit knocks out something. Even Battleships don't have a problem hitting the Khaba at its max gun range while on speed boost. The Khaba is not fun to play any more. 

Hit it right on the head with this part. 

The proper way would of been to buff the under performing DD's to the YY's level IMO. 

Its like WG'ing is saying "We want to nerf the YY to the under performing levels of the Gearing , Shima, Zed and Grozovoi."

[SIDE]
Members
794 posts
4,223 battles

give me some soviet guns if you are nerfing the reload from 3 to 4 seconds. zzz.

Members
255 posts
11 battles

"To address this, we have increased the reload time of the main caliber guns by 1 second (from 3 to 4 seconds) and torpedo tubes by 20 seconds (from 136 to 156 seconds). These changes will minimally affect the unique features of the destroyer, while bringing its statistics to the same level as other destroyers at its Tier."

1324345921001.png