Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mike_4213

What Tiers To Keep

31 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
[CVA16]
Members
2 posts
4,588 battles

Is there any reason to keep any ships that are below a Tier 5? Need to free up Port slots and I can't see any reason to keep lower level ships. I know there are some "specials" but they all seem to be for the higher Tier ships.

I don't want to get in a position where I sell my tier 3 ships and then all of a sudden they come up with new Scenarios and Missions that use only tier 3 ships.

Edited by Mike_4213

[HINON]
Supertester
20,726 posts
14,156 battles

Keep the ones you enjoy, sell the ones you don't. Very simple.

• Cool 2

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,021 posts
4,848 battles

Or be like me and sell everything to buy high tier ships you're grinding...then play your premiums a bunch and double back and buy the ships you sold.

Repeat this process many times. 

[CVA16]
[CVA16]
Members
2 posts
4,588 battles

Don't want to beat a dead horse but, my concern is that I sell my tier 3 ships and then they come out with a new Scenario or Mission for tier 3 ships!

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
8,083 battles
23 minutes ago, Mike_4213 said:

Is there any reason to keep any ships that are below a Tier 5? Need to free up Port slots and I can't see any reason to keep lower level ships. I know there are some "specials" but they all seem to be for the higher Tier ships.

i keep my premium ships and one or two T4 DDs that are hell of fun to play.  St. Louis is a one of THE good lower Tier ships to keep...freaking circle of death always crack me up doing it...lol 

Edited by Shinnidan
  • Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
8,083 battles
1 minute ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Tier 4 and under are relatively cheap. Just buy them back if they do (as long as you can keep an open port slot). 

i think he intends to max out his slot usage....:Smile_hiding:

[N-W-T]
Members
1,427 posts
6,050 battles

Aside from ships you play often, no reason to keep ships T5 or below.  This ranked T5 is pretty one-off.  Normally T5s aren't really useful .  Operations are T6 - T8, so those are the ones with "reasons" to keep.  And some operations have requirements for different nations, so it's useful to keep a variety of them. 

I kept the (US) St. Louis, and the Clemson because I like them.  But honestly I play them so infrequently they're the first ones I'd sell if I need more port slots.

The only things you should never sell regardless of tier or how much you hate them are premium ships.  You can't get dup ships from supercontainers, so the more premiums you have, the better shot at rolling for a good ship.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,057 posts

I keep my best ship of every class in each tier.

1) Hermelin

2)  all premium

3) Bogatyr, St. Louis, Tenryu, Wakatake, + premiums

4) Both CVs, all DDs, + Orion for the OP AA (and premiums)

5) Both CVs, Acosta, Mew York & premiums.

What I get rid of are my Tier 9s.  I went through Iowa, Roon, and free XP'd two more. (for Yamato and Wooster)

Only kept the Buffalo (Baltimore) because it has camo.  Captain never had skills set.

[B2P]
Members
568 posts
15,718 battles
48 minutes ago, Mike_4213 said:

Don't want to beat a dead horse but, my concern is that I sell my tier 3 ships and then they come out with a new Scenario or Mission for tier 3 ships!

Just keep a handful of port slots open.  I like to keep 4 port slots open if I can, buying new ones as I need them, hopefully when they are on sale.  That way, if I need a lower tier ship again I can just buy it.  The lower tier ships are fairly cheap.  In fact I did just that for Ranked Sprint, buying back the FuryTaco.

[PVE]
Members
14,981 posts
9,575 battles
1 hour ago, Mike_4213 said:

I don't want to get in a position where I sell my tier 3 ships and then all of a sudden they come up with new Scenarios and Missions that use only tier 3 ships.

There have been a few, but it is very rare. If you have some T3's that you like, sell the rest and keep those. If you still need slots, then selling the lower tiers is better as they are cheaper to buy back. T1 ships are free to buy back, so always sell them first.

Or keep them all! Port slots are regularly on sale for 50% off and last Christmas they were 75% off. So if you have some doubloons and a good port slot sale comes up, you can stock up. Subtract the 10 Halloween ships and I have 206 ships in port and 42 port slots for new lines and the ships I don't have yet. I spent Christmas doubloons on the 75 doubloons each port slot Christmas sale to get me 50 of them. I have got some other port slots in containers and when you get early access ships, they come with port slots, along with premium ships.

LptiY3b.jpg

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
20,370 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Venture said:

Or be like me and sell everything to buy high tier ships you're grinding...then play your premiums a bunch and double back and buy the ships you sold.

Repeat this process many times. 

^^^ done this so many times I lost count. I'm at almost a Billion Credits so now I keep what I enjoy.

[WAVE]
Members
28 posts
20,518 battles

I second keeping them all, if you can afford it. Then you can be a collector and WoWs becomes a virtual museum, especially good for history fans like me. I have collected 238 ships including nearly all of the silver ships, just one to go, Hakuryu. While you can look at a ship that you haven't purchased, it is grayed out along with the detailed specifications.

I have a lot of warship books on the shelf that are great for design and historical content. But being able to view 3D models provides so much more than diagrams and photos. Navigating WoWs is more convenient than juggling dozens of large books, and WoWs has many ships that aren't in my books.

[FYL]
Members
545 posts
2,232 battles

I'd keep any favorite t3s, but other than that anything under t5 rarely fulfills requirements for campaigns, combat missions and events like RN. Even when t3 is allowed for a mission it isn't exclusive it seems, so t5 will just fulfill it faster.

[PVE]
Members
14,981 posts
9,575 battles
2 minutes ago, Tanuvein said:

I'd keep any favorite t3s, but other than that anything under t5 rarely fulfills requirements for campaigns, combat missions and events like RN. Even when t3 is allowed for a mission it isn't exclusive it seems, so t5 will just fulfill it faster.

The last T3 event was only T3 and only a few of them.

[WOLF8]
Members
79 posts
15,121 battles

My rule of thumb is only keep the lower tier ships that you have fun with. After some high tier games or grins it is nice to just play a ship that you can have a mindless game in. It can help break up a bad streak or just have fun.

Members
1,416 posts
5,232 battles

I will agree with many others in this post - only keep the ones you enjoy playing (and premiums). Anything below t5 or 6 is relatively cheap, so if you need to go back and rebuy one it won’t cost a whole lot if you have a slot open. The main T4 and below ships I’ve kept are Clemson and St. Louis (although I did sell her a few months back because I needed another port slot, but will buy her back at some point if I have the space or need a t3 for a campaign/operation).

On an unrelated note, I would definitely recommend not keeping any slots open on the off chance that you get a premium ship from a super container - if I have empty slots and don’t have any ships I’m grinding to fill them, I just buy t1 ships without captains to occupy a space. But if there are any low tier ships you don’t enjoy, I wouldn’t necessarily keep them around just to fill slots.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,752 posts

I have so many ships- 170 now- that I already have a lot of the earnable mission ships, and loot box ships, so I just get a big lot of credits/doubloons, a 3 pt commander- and a port slot.   I never seem to run out- I buy more ships, WG gives me more port slots.  Can't remember the last time I had to buy one.   (more credits daily crates occasionally drop port slots for me- far more often than any other kind does.  That seems to be the go to box for misc items to drop from.)

As for the OP:  just like everyone else says- if things get tight, and you need space/credits,  sell off the ones you're least likely to play again/ often first.   I've kept far more of them than I ever play, simply because I don't run out of port slots or credits.  (plus I like lookin at them sometimes!)   I do, however, find myself playing some of them enough to justify keeping them:

My low tier faves:  (your mileage may vary)

Tier 1:  I have all but Hashidate (never really liked), but actually play Bougainville and Cheng An whenever I need a break from high tier grinding, mission burnout; to work off the rare pink, or just because they're FUN.   Both are lil monsters in the right hands.

-Tier 2:  I RARELY play any of these.  Still have a bunch- all of the DD's save the new Limey one;  Chesty; The IJN cruiser; Dresden; and a bunch of premiums.   Of those, only Sampson; V-25 (and the pan asian clone), Storozhevoi; Chester; and Albany see any play time.    Chester is fun, because it's SOOO poorly armored, that shooting AP at it does nothing but overpen, unless you get really lucky.  Plus, the guns are pretty good.  Albany is just a gorgeous protected cruiser.   Sampson especially is a tiny terror once you git gud with US DD's.  And Storoz has that ridiculous 9 torpedo broadside- at a tier where you can get away with playing it stupidly aggressive.

Tier 3:  St Louis, baby!  Also like to sometimes play The Black Booger (Oleg).   South Carolina sees quite a bit of play.  For DD's, Wickes is a nasty little bugger, and really fun to play.  Both the French and British tier 3 cruisers are pretty good too.  Derpski can be silly, as well.   Nassau is a beast of a ship, but it's been forever since I've played it...

Tier 4:  Lots of keepers in my fleet.  Wyoming; Clemson; Danae; the Frenchie; Courbet; Izzy; Svietlana;   IMO, the 12" armed low tier battleships are insanely fun to play.  (So-Cal; Wyo; and Courbet)  Orion was a favorite too- then they nerfed it.  Kaiser was one I did pretty well in, and I'd play it more often, but tier 4 gets left out of everything. 

I have lots of tier 5's but rarely play them.  T5 mm is a mess, and a lot of the ships are rather meh.  I do like Julio Cesare though.  Nicholas and Podvoisky are both fun DD's.

Tier 6, same thing- only I'm still grinding a ship or 2 there...  Normandie is probably my favorite to play.  I love my Dallas, but it's SO painful to play that it rarely leaves port.  ( all you have to do is look at it, and it takes multiple citadels...)  Warspite pre-dates the RN BB HE quirk, and can be decent as well.  Farragut is an awesome destroyer, and will never leave my port.   Arizona is my buddy as well.  Pensacola was one of my favorites at tier 7- at tier 6 and post nerf?  No... just no.

[HUNGS]
Members
1,663 posts
3,603 battles

I keep at least 1 or 2 ships in every tier, mainly the ones I enjoy the most. I do this not because I play them but for when I division with friends I can help with their grinds

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
8,083 battles
16 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

I like to max out my slots.  Dirty, dirty slots...

bad boy, Bad! dirty dirty....take a shower!!! lol :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[WORX]
Members
3,873 posts
14,967 battles

I still have the majority of my tier 4 ships. Then again depends on play style I like the ISHO, v-170, Clemson. tier 3 and below I sold them. 

[CSALT]
Members
935 posts
4 minutes ago, Shinnidan said:

bad boy, Bad! dirty dirty....take a shower!!! lol :Smile_teethhappy:

Only with my Yammy sized slot.  Everyone wants to max out their yammy sized slot usage long time!

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
8,083 battles
3 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

Only with my Yammy sized slot.  Everyone wants to max out their yammy sized slot usage long time!

Poo~ :Smile_sad: fine leave out Musa...poi~~ :Smile_teethhappy:

Mumu...is more popular with them muff-dive-bomers...and them long air born torpies... buwhahaha the your slots can have yammy... :cap_rambo:

Edited by Shinnidan

Sign in to follow this