You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

Possible Suggestion to Prevent Unlimited Planes

8 comments in this topic

[NGA]
Members
1,755 posts
9,359 battles

Personally, despite being a CV enthusiast, I'm not wild about the potential for aircraft to be unlimited as I feel that carefully managing one's stockpile of planes is a useful balance mechanic. I'll concede that the changes to the interaction between planes and AA may justify this, but personally I have a suggestion of my own that I feel like tossing out just to see if I get any bites. In another WWII naval game that I play, Axis and Allies Miniatures: War at Sea, there's a mechanic to prevent air attacks that does not result in planes being destroyed. This is the "abort" state, which basically represents flak being to heavy and the squadron not being able to land an attack for various historical reasons (squadron commander calls off the attack, any ordinance launched fails to land a hit, etc.) My suggestion would basically be that when a plane is "destroyed" one of two things can happen: either it's destroyed like in the current game, or it is sufficiently damaged that it "returns" to the carrier and replacing it is not deducted from the reserves. Basically, it's an element of RNG. I'd have to see the AA vs planes mechanics for myself to get a firmer grasp on things, but this is just an idea I'm putting out there.

Members
2,865 posts
5,914 battles
20 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Personally, despite being a CV enthusiast, I'm not wild about the potential for aircraft to be unlimited as I feel that carefully managing one's stockpile of planes is a useful balance mechanic. I'll concede that the changes to the interaction between planes and AA may justify this, but personally I have a suggestion of my own that I feel like tossing out just to see if I get any bites. In another WWII naval game that I play, Axis and Allies Miniatures: War at Sea, there's a mechanic to prevent air attacks that does not result in planes being destroyed. This is the "abort" state, which basically represents flak being to heavy and the squadron not being able to land an attack for various historical reasons (squadron commander calls off the attack, any ordinance launched fails to land a hit, etc.) My suggestion would basically be that when a plane is "destroyed" one of two things can happen: either it's destroyed like in the current game, or it is sufficiently damaged that it "returns" to the carrier and replacing it is not deducted from the reserves. Basically, it's an element of RNG. I'd have to see the AA vs planes mechanics for myself to get a firmer grasp on things, but this is just an idea I'm putting out there.

I LIKE that idea that a plane must preserve itself when the odds at that point might end up being destroyed.  What do you say?  about 75% HP lost would do it?  Of course the plane could be shot down on the way back to the CV but thats another story and not involved with the original mission.   In a sense its like some games where a squad of soldiers have high moral in the beginning but facing a enemy which is much stronger and more skilled results in a 'rout' in which the squad turns back to save it self if it can.    I'm with you..this is a great idea and I hope others will chime in to discuss and hopefully add to such a program element as well. 

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,058 posts
5,820 battles

"bailing out"? i tihnk that coudl work,it preserve the plane and lower the dmg done on the enemy ship IF it hits.

[NGA]
Members
1,755 posts
9,359 battles
1 minute ago, Doombeagle said:

Abortion mode?

We already have the all-seeing eye of Sauron radar, I think one abortion per game is enough.

And that's why Radar makes so much sense. When DDs smoke up, they put on the One Ring which attracts Sauron's gaze. And now I'll let my Tolkien-loving self out.

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
462 posts
4,642 battles
1 hour ago, JediMasterDraco said:

I think we're all over thinking this, how about we wait for it to hit the test server and see how it plays out, until we see how it works there is zero sense in discussing nerfs  and or buffs.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,762 posts
10,986 battles

How about we wait to see how many attacks a CV can really launch with the new system before worrying about the plane count. My experience from the first beta was not enough to worry about the number of planes.

Members
67 posts
94 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

How about we wait to see how many attacks a CV can really launch with the new system before worrying about the plane count. My experience from the first beta was not enough to worry about the number of planes.

hi i think you are nice