You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

Is Asashio worth $42 when Sims / Lenny are $25?

25 comments in this topic

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,629 posts
11,692 battles

Paying more for less advantageous T8 matchmaking is a poor proposition.

Although T8's generate more XP/credits than T7's, winning games generates more XP/credits than losing them, and carrying T7 to victory is easier and more enjoyable than T8.

There's no real justification for the price bump to T8.

[TBW]
Members
7,511 posts
13,775 battles
5 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Is tier 8 DD's play that much better than tier 7?

Depends on who you ask. Tier 8 see's tier 10 and the Asashio's torps can only hit BB's and CV's. WG creates an assumed value per tier. It's up to you if the value is valid. I bought it.

• Cool 1

[TEARZ]
[TEARZ]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
414 posts
9,397 battles

Honestly if you have not played DDs a lot the Asashio may not be a good fit. I would recommend ships that fit your play style. 

[O_O]
Members
803 posts
5,272 battles

Though I don't play Tier 8 DDs much these days, I will say the play is entertaining.  Especially when inducing salt in CA/CL players.

That said, I despise Asashio's torpedoes.  The only thing BB players can do is stay as far away from their last spotted position as possible.  Without some combination of hydro, Vigilance or TAS Mod 1 (or helpful hydro screeners) there's just no counter play.  She's supposed to have reasonably serviceable guns too, though they won't save you from a gunboat on full health at any of the tiers you'll see.

-R

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,704 posts
3 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

Short answer, no, long answer, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

A better comparison would be between   Le Terrible and Asashio  I'd rather have Asashio   OTH  when you offer up Kidd  VS  Asashio   my answer is Kidd  of course:Smile_veryhappy::Smile_trollface::Smile_izmena:

[B_Y_F]
Members
329 posts
8,189 battles

Absolutely worth it.

But you should notice this DD is not for new DD players.It require you know how to use IJN DD guns to be effective. Once you did, she is good enough to effect the game outcome even in T10 match.

[INTEL]
Members
1,497 posts
10,430 battles
7 minutes ago, mofton said:

Although T8's generate more XP/credits than T7's, winning games generates more XP/credits than losing them, and carrying T7 to victory is easier and more enjoyable than T8.

However, in this case even that argument doesn't hold.  The Sims makes an inordinate amount of XP and will likely generate a good bit more than an Asashio for achieving the same objectives.

Members
1,911 posts
8,261 battles
21 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Is tier 8 DD's play that much better than tier 7?

I've tried to point the major price jump between tier 7 & 8 DDs out before and nobody seemed to care. Going up a single tier should not carry with it a 50% price increase when other ship types are only increasing in price about 30% per tier. 

[ADPT2]
[ADPT2]
Members
883 posts
2,025 battles

I was considering it.  I put myself on a $20 a month limit with WOWS and was wondering if that would be a good purchase.  My stats are less than stellar.  I play Fubuki (working up to T7), Sims, Leningrad, and Fiji exclusively.  (I consider myself a DD main but I like the Fiji for some reason.)  Was thinking this could replace IJN main line for me but the price put me off.  That and I would prefer tier 7 MM.

I would prefer tier 4 MM but that just does not seem right for anyone with over 100 games in them.  2-3-4 should be for players still learning the game.  I know the game, I am just no good at it.  Tier 8-9-10 should be for legitimately good players in my opinion.

[MEATS]
Supertester, Beta Testers
223 posts
3,152 battles

Sims is still somewhat competitive. Lenny is an acquired taste.

Asashio is very niche. Gimmicky, as some would say.

Asashio is fun, but when you've run out of BB'S and the odd CV to kill?

You're kind if boned if you're not a good gunboat driver. Since I own all three, I can say no - not for the average player. I rather enjoy it (although I havent played it in months due to other duties) myself. 

[PLPT]
Members
935 posts
8,336 battles

If the Harekaze is sold again, it’s a great hybrid DD at T8, like a Kagero with buffed guns. You can play it like a torpedo boat with reload booster or like a gunboat with smoke, choosing either the Akizuki “Super-pen HE” 100’s or the Benson 152’s. Lots of replay value and one of the best premiums IMHO.

There really is a paucity of Premium DDs compared to other classes. Zero DDs for Free XP so far, while it looks like 3 BBs and 2+ cruisers so far. Also no T10 Premium DD.  We DD mains are really 3rd class citizens in WG’s revenue book.

[ICOP]
Members
1,067 posts
3,878 battles

The only differences between with Asashio and her tier equal, the Kagero, is further torpedo (double - 20km) and gun range (+1.5km) however those torpedoes can only hit BB/CV.  Plus the allowance in the Asashio to carry both smoke and Torpedo Reload Booster (TRB) whereas in the Kagero you must pick.

The Harekaze (if ever available again) is good alternative, using the 100mm guns however it has the lowest HP of T8 DD.

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

IMHO, Asashio is a very situational ship. In a tier 8 Ranked battle a Red DD and a CA were stationary in a cap and a Asashio on my team was nearby and couldn't do anything about it due to her torpedoes being useless against both of those botes. With any other DD it would've been shooting fish in a barrel. While Asashio's the terror of BBs, CA/CLs and other DDs laugh at her. My Asashio is a full time port queen.

Lenningrad and Sims aint bad but they're not my favorite tier 7 DDs. Z-39 and Blyskawica are more to my liking.

Edited by ReddNekk

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,960 posts
11,302 battles

Asashio earns a lot more credits than sims.

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,019 posts
4,848 battles

A DD that can only attack certain ship types is a bad deal in my opinion. She cannot contest caps, and cannot gun boat worth a damn...I shred them in basically whatever ship I'm in. 

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,704 posts
1 hour ago, BrokenGamer said:

Sims is still somewhat competitive. Lenny is an acquired taste.

Asashio is very niche. Gimmicky, as some would say.

Asashio is fun, but when you've run out of BB'S and the odd CV to kill?

You're kind if boned if you're not a good gunboat driver. Since I own all three, I can say no - not for the average player. I rather enjoy it (although I havent played it in months due to other duties) myself. 

:Smile_great:Guns:Smile_medal:

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,117 posts
4,527 battles
3 hours ago, mofton said:

The asashio doesn't care what tier you are. It murders BBs regardless of tier.

OP I would recommend it if you think you can meet the skill floor.

[GLF]
Members
844 posts
11,686 battles

I have all three.

Under my command (these are written in order 1-3):

performance: lenny, sims, asashio

fun level: sims, lenny, asashio. 

overall value for the money I paid:  sims($17), lenny ($23), asashio ($40). 

When you play asashio the red team hates you.  The green team hates you more.   I don't play asashio that much.  When I do its lone-wolf style, chat disabled.   

Beta Testers
243 posts
2,865 battles

I bought it the first time around.  Guns turn slow but are okay, and arranged for retreating.  But it's all about the gimmicked torpedoes.  

Nothing like only facing a few BB's that are the only things that the torps will hit, but you sailed to the other side of the map where they are not.  At that point, I pretty much turn into a scout and try to keep the enemy ships lit while they try to hide from my attacking force.  And hopefully I can then said behind them in order to reach their BB's.  

It also always seems most torpedo hits are at those long ranges.  When up close to a fight, the BB's are looking for torpedoes.  But in the first few minutes if the battle starting, they don't expect to have to use AWSD so early.

You also shouldn't fret too much if you don't have any targets to hit with your torpedoes either.  The enemy are not going to know if your torpedoes will hit them or not, initially.  And if you are with another DD, they can't afford to suspect it's your torpedoes that will go under them.  So you can still do an okay job in harassing the enemy, perhaps in a way to make them turn broadside to your team's guns.  It also will make non-BB AI ships turn to evade.