You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

The Best Thing WG has Done for WoWS - Ranked Sprint

16 comments in this topic

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,597 posts
5,487 battles

New game mode that completed by everyone...  check

Tier that doesn’t limit the entire community...  check

Fun (mostly)...  check

• Cool 3

[ARGSY]
Members
10,914 posts
7,074 battles

Tier with banned OP ships that newer players can never acquire - mistake. Other than that, yeah, it was the right way to go (particularly because the repair costs aren't going to be crippling to most players if they have a string of losses). But knowing that much more experienced players would be bringing an A+++ game that I had no access to was enough to scare me off, especially with the RN event going on at the same time. I couldn't unite the dichotomy of chasing particular mission goals (e.g. torp hits, caps, etc. etc.) AND playing at my most optimal in the Ranked meta.

I'd like to see it repeated at Tier 4 or Tier 6, where there is less of an "OP premium" salt issue.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[-BRS-]
Members
2,626 posts
16,059 battles

Gotta say I do enjoy the ranked spirit a lot of fun  I enjoyed clan battles not being at T10 so sick of T10 battles right now

Edited by silverdahc
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
6,294 posts
10,490 battles
41 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Tier with banned OP ships that newer players can never acquire - mistake. Other than that, yeah, it was the right way to go (particularly because the repair costs aren't going to be crippling to most players if they have a string of losses). But knowing that much more experienced players would be bringing an A+++ game that I had no access to was enough to scare me off, especially with the RN event going on at the same time. I couldn't unite the dichotomy of chasing particular mission goals (e.g. torp hits, caps, etc. etc.) AND playing at my most optimal in the Ranked meta.

I'd like to see it repeated at Tier 4 or Tier 6, where there is less of an "OP premium" salt issue.

Yeah, it was complete fun for almost everyone except for those without access to the multiple "banned" premiums that dominated so much of the event.  As you said, a more balanced tier like T4 or T6 would have improved things even greater.

40 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

Gotta say I do enjoy the ranked spirit a lot of fun  I enjoyed clan battles not being at T10 so sick of T10 battles right now

It definitely was a very enjoyable break from the usual high tier slogs.

14 minutes ago, bandits86 said:

Too bad 5k coal only..hoping more coal:cap_like:

But considering the minimal effort it took for many (with some ranking out in only a day or two), it's decently acceptable.  5k coal and 1k steel would have been a nicer touch.

[USCG]
Members
372 posts
14,627 battles

I enjoy ranked sprint but I also have access to a Gremy & Kami R...  Bumping it down to tier 4 or up to tier 6 would be fine with me.  I think as soon as you go to tier 7 radar becomes a factor which might make the salt start to flow...  

[ARGSY]
Members
10,914 posts
7,074 battles
38 minutes ago, cgbosn4 said:

I think as soon as you go to tier 7 radar Belfast becomes a factor

Fixed that for you. :Smile_teethhappy:

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,394 posts
3,390 battles

I don't disagree with this -I think sprint is a winner.    Gives non-clan wars players and every day players a chance at something competitive that can be played by almost any players.   .    Just would like to see a lot more tier shift and maybe some limits on classes of vehicles in team make-up..   at this current tier.. its all BBs and DDs.    Would like to see this improved a bit.    

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,422 posts
6,093 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Tier with banned OP ships that newer players can never acquire - mistake. Other than that, yeah, it was the right way to go (particularly because the repair costs aren't going to be crippling to most players if they have a string of losses). But knowing that much more experienced players would be bringing an A+++ game that I had no access to was enough to scare me off.

I think the 'OP Premium' flag is waved much too often in this case. The tech tree ships are quite strong now, and I can say that I find my Nicholas is actually a better all-around DD in this than my Fujin. The results are much more due to the skill of the players involved than the perceived difference from the use of Premium ships ( despite the differences, the Minekaze can perform very similarly to a Kamikaze in the hands of the same player).

As for more experienced players bringing their experience in gameplay to the battles, that will happen no matter what tier Ranked is played at. If anything, it should make you want to play against them even more for the chance to take on opponents who are worth fighting.

The only bad thing about the Ranked Sprint is that it is happening at the same time as the Halloween event is active, diluting participation in both for the other somewhat.

Edited by Jakob_Knight

[SUCIT]
Members
1,037 posts
4,395 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

There's a ship like that at almost every tier, except T10, T2 and T1

T3 - Konig Albert

T4 - Imperator Nikolai

T5 - Gremmy, Gulio, Kami

T6 - You can argue the Perth.  This would probably be the best tier, but there's so damn many premiums

T7 - Payfast

T8 - Kutuzov

T9 - Missouri

[ARGSY]
Members
10,914 posts
7,074 battles
14 minutes ago, XpliCT_ said:

There's a ship like that at almost every tier

At least one, yes, but Tier 5 seems unusually overpopulated with them. And while Perth may be OP for someone's given value thereof, she is CURRENTLY AVAILABLE and anyone who thinks she is OP and wants her for that reason can get one.

[USCG]
Members
372 posts
14,627 battles
28 minutes ago, XpliCT_ said:

T6 - You can argue the Perth.  This would probably be the best tier, but there's so damn many premiums

At tier 6 I'd say the T-61 would be a beast...  I have PERTH and while she's a fine ship she has a very specific play style.  I might stick with the LEANDER for her repair and smoke.  PERTH's "walking smoke" is nice but takes forever to reload.  I'm willing to give both a try though... 

[WAG]
Members
1,693 posts
9,122 battles

I have been pushing for Ranked or Clan battles to switch around more to give us a chance to play these events with our lower tier ships, because... It Is FUN!... as I knew it would be... but the answer, when I got one, was always "we see T10 as the pinnacle of competition".. and I was shut down abruptly... So.. it was quite the shock to see them roll out this watered down version ... why they could not let it be like other ranked competitions I am not sure... but this is WAY better then nothing. 

Now let this run routinely running from 5 to 8 and back to 5....

Never Surrender - Never Give Up

[-BUI-]
Members
1,260 posts
3,176 battles

My 1 win in like 6 games says no, this mode [edited]sucks.

I'm so tired of getting players on my team that sit around and never even fire their guns, while the other team has 3 80% WP super-uni's playing DD obliterating the noobs put on my team.

Its not even remotely fun.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,247 posts
14,314 battles
26 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

My 1 win in like 6 games says no, this mode [edited]sucks.

I'm so tired of getting players on my team that sit around and never even fire their guns, while the other team has 3 80% WP super-uni's playing DD obliterating the noobs put on my team.

Its not even remotely fun.

That's always annoying, but at least this time you can bring a friend and have one reliable person on your team.

[INTEL]
Members
10,055 posts
28,229 battles
16 hours ago, cgbosn4 said:

I enjoy ranked sprint but I also have access to a Gremy & Kami R...  Bumping it down to tier 4 or up to tier 6 would be fine with me.  I think as soon as you go to tier 7 radar becomes a factor which might make the salt start to flow...  

Naw, the CVs. Salt already flows. Lost three due to CVs today during a six-loss streak. Much salt was expended by me and others, especially on the stoner who used up all his Zuiho planes in 4 minutes and then sailed into the center cap to die. Salt also flows for the lone BB driver who sails off to the cap we didn't call to immediately die to 4 enemy BBs even after being repeatedly told not to do that. 

All that said, one really great thing was the number of irrevocable Ranks. Been fun switching around ships....