You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Radar_X

[PSA] Jean Bart Release

241 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator
1,259 posts
508 battles

The much-anticipated battleship Jean Bart has recently left port and we’d like to give you some insight into its release. This new French tier IX premium is available both for Coal through the Arsenal, as well as via direct purchase within the Premium Shop.

We’ve run quite a few experiments with events and paid services in World of Warships since release, usually aiming to gauge the perceptions and behavior of our passionate audience – both vocal and silent part. This release is such an experiment, with the overall goal being to allow a direct method of obtaining for those who continually support the game by using the Premium Shop, as well as to test the potential and demand for tier IX premiums in direct monetization, considering their comparatively high price point.

We always follow our “free to win” principle in designing the game itself, as well as its monetization, and we do remember your feedback in our past experiments. We will always do our best to offer good options for those who choose to play for free, as well as for all other types of players – having Jean Bart available both for coal and for money is the best of both worlds both for our audience and for us.

While this release does set a precedent, it does not set a trend. We’re not currently planning for any other tier IX ships to be sold directly anytime soon, though we will consider it for the future. We currently also do not have any plans to sell tier X ships directly.

Furthermore, this also does not mean that we’re going to shift production focus to tiers higher than VIII – the majority of our direct sale premium ships will remain in tiers V to VIII for the foreseeable future. For now we just want to evaluate this release, study the demand, see the effect, and then decide what to do next.

The main concern about Jean Bart release so far is that it allows an inexperienced player to quickly enter high tier battles. This is a valid concern, and was one of the main concerns for us as well until we had enough information on how premium ships work in the long run. Now, having this perspective, we believe that it’s not an obstacle, because:

1. Only a small portion of new players instantly buy premium ships, especially high tier (and the most expensive) ones. Most players still prefer to experience the game at a slower pace first, so there is no reason why Jean Bart should significantly change this trend.
  2. Players tend to either learn to play, get better and aim for great results, or just relax and play casually. Ship tier or type do not influence that in a significant way. Players can perform poorly even when they have thousands of battles and several tier X ships. They can learn, evolve, and perform well – but it mostly depends on them and their take on the game.
  3. For the sake of high-tier play, there is close to zero difference between Jean Bart and any regular tier VIII premium. Being a tier IX ships does not instantly give Jean Bart overwhelming meta influence or increased risks with landing in newbie hands over any other high tier premium.

Also, some have claimed that there was a promise not to introduce any Tier IX premium ships. We did say said several times that we were not interested in introducing this for several reasons and that we were not planning to do it. However just as with the viability of playable submarines in World of Warships, plans tend to be updated with time. That said, other Wargaming titles don’t necessarily share our strategy so if you followed any similar discussion anywhere else, it’s relevant only to the respective title, not to us.

Over the past two years many of our players have accumulated huge, diverse fleet at their disposal – this is great and the choice will only get bigger from here! This gives us the necessary room to experiment so we will continue to do so.  We'll continue to look at various new progression options, game modes and other features or events while listening to you and keeping the situation balanced. We sincerely thank you for taking your time to talk to us, raise your concerns and contribute to World of Warships community interaction overall.

Action Stations!

• Cool 21
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,907 posts
8,282 battles
4 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

The much-anticipated battleship Jean Bart has recently left port and we’d like to give you some insight into its release. This new French tier IX premium is available both for Coal through the Arsenal, as well as via direct purchase within the Premium Shop.

We’ve run quite a few experiments with events and paid services in World of Warships since release, usually aiming to gauge the perceptions and behavior of our passionate audience – both vocal and silent part. This release is such an experiment, with the overall goal being to allow a direct method of obtaining for those who continually support the game by using the Premium Shop, as well as to test the potential and demand for tier IX premiums in direct monetization, considering their comparatively high price point.

We always follow our “free to win” principle in designing the game itself, as well as its monetization, and we do remember your feedback in our past experiments. We will always do our best to offer good options for those who choose to play for free, as well as for all other types of players – having Jean Bart available both for coal and for money is the best of both worlds both for our audience and for us.

While this release does set a precedent, it does not set a trend. We’re not currently planning for any other tier IX ships to be sold directly anytime soon, though we will consider it for the future. We currently also do not have any plans to sell tier X ships directly.

Furthermore, this also does not mean that we’re going to shift production focus to tiers higher than VIII – the majority of our direct sale premium ships will remain in tiers V to VIII for the foreseeable future. For now we just want to evaluate this release, study the demand, see the effect, and then decide what to do next.

The main concern about Jean Bart release so far is that it allows an inexperienced player to quickly enter high tier battles. This is a valid concern, and was one of the main concerns for us as well until we had enough information on how premium ships work in the long run. Now, having this perspective, we believe that it’s not an obstacle, because:

1. Only a small portion of new players instantly buy premium ships, especially high tier (and the most expensive) ones. Most players still prefer to experience the game at a slower pace first, so there is no reason why Jean Bart should significantly change this trend.
  2. Players tend to either learn to play, get better and aim for great results, or just relax and play casually. Ship tier or type do not influence that in a significant way. Players can perform poorly even when they have thousands of battles and several tier X ships. They can learn, evolve, and perform well – but it mostly depends on them and their take on the game.
  3. For the sake of high-tier play, there is close to zero difference between Jean Bart and any regular tier VIII premium. Being a tier IX ships does not instantly give Jean Bart overwhelming meta influence or increased risks with landing in newbie hands over any other high tier premium.

Also, some have claimed that there was a promise not to introduce any Tier IX premium ships. We did say said several times that we were not interested in introducing this for several reasons and that we were not planning to do it. However just as with the viability of playable submarines in World of Warships, plans tend to be updated with time. That said, other Wargaming titles don’t necessarily share our strategy so if you followed any similar discussion anywhere else, it’s relevant only to the respective title, not to us.

Over the past two years many of our players have accumulated huge, diverse fleet at their disposal – this is great and the choice will only get bigger from here! This gives us the necessary room to experiment so we will continue to do so.  We'll continue to look at various new progression options, game modes and other features or events while listening to you and keeping the situation balanced. We sincerely thank you for taking your time to talk to us, raise your concerns and contribute to World of Warships community interaction overall.

Action Stations!

Unusually direct/ and mostly forthright explanation. Welcome for that reason alone.

Only a small portion of new players instantly buy premium ships, especially high tier (and the most expensive) ones. Most players still prefer to experience the game at a slower pace first, so there is no reason why Jean Bart should significantly change this trend.

So why bother selling it in the premium shop? This explanation doesn't add up. 

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
1,274 posts
8,730 battles

Thanks.

An increase in events for tiers 5 through 8 would be really great. The mini-ranked at T5 was awesome. Keep it up. 

Members
109 posts
4,563 battles

I added more spelled out thoughts in another thread, but I'll include them here:

Okay, fine with the option to buy outright.

Disappointed with it being coal only instead of free XP with no warning, but fine (can use the 1mil + I've stockpiled just in case for tech tree ships or Alaska in case it's free XP).

But holy hell, 228k coal for a tier 8 ship with a gimmick? Really?

The Musashi - a tier 10 battleship with slightly nerfed dispersion - was far less at 176k.

The Salem - a tier 10 Des Moines - is only 12k more.

I don't know, Wargaming. You've gotten a big chunk of my disposable income for years. This one pissed me off.

Seriously disappointed in the pricing consideration here. 228k coal is TOO MUCH for a Tier 9 ship to begin with, much less one that's just a tier 8 platform with a neat trick (albeit a powerful one in the right hands).

[HYDRO]
Members
3,003 posts
4,600 battles

Thanks for the explanation, don't agree on all points but can understand the logic behind.

@Radar_X Did the situation with Tier VIII MM factor in the decision to make a Tier IX  premium directly available? Currently Tier IX is far less played than both VIII and X. A small boost in Tier IX numbers could help a bit.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,719 posts
14,141 battles

Thanks for posting. However, it does not address my current concerns:

WG does not announce in advance how ships are going to be sold. This means that us players can't plan our purchases the way we would like to. Which in this case means that I won't be buying JB, for not knowing how Alaska and Bourgogne are going to be sold.

<Edit> Basically what @LittleWhiteMouse said far more eloquently in the post below this one.

• Cool 11

Beta Testers
1,714 posts
3,833 battles
On 11/7/2018 at 8:25 AM, Radar_X said:

Action Stations!

Spin it how you want Radar it was set in stones years ago to not sell tier 9 premiums and you know it. Guess my money is better spent on a company that keeps their word rather than one that constantly breaks it in the favor of profit. The customer is always right and will not come back if you lie to them. Have fun with the whales spending their money while the people with common sense stop. Loyal wargaming customer for the last 5 years and now  I say no more money till Jean Bart is withdrawn from the premium shop.  Don't give in to their greed folks all they want is your money because they are greedy and tier 8 premiums weren't enough for them. Look at the premium Ships and Tanks I have and I bought there is weight behind what I say. Aye if you agree with me  folks

I have been stressed out beyond belief and I apologize for these comments, I am just not in agreement with how wargaming decided to experiment with Jean Bart thank you.

• Cool 4

[BS]
Members
1,444 posts
7,801 battles

Lets say Jean Beat came out as a free xp ship for 750,000...How much would it have costed someone to convert that free xp? 140$? We're basically getting this ship 50% cheaper if you "want it now." I kinda like that.

Edit: This could hurt container sales if people aren't expecting many free xp ships in the future, but I'm guessing thats why you said it's a precedent/experiment, not a trend.

EJ

Edited by HorrorRoach
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[NGAGE]
Members
3,259 posts
8,175 battles

Just now, HorrorRoach said:

Lets say Jean Beat came out as a free xp ship for 750,000...How much would it have costed someone to convert that free xp? 140$? We're basically getting this ship 50% cheaper if you "want it now." I kinda like that.

EJ

The real reason it's not fxp is that enough of us have millions of fxp already.

I suspect this precedent is the end of fxp ships.

[-BRS-]
Members
415 posts
12,725 battles

I will wait for something else. I have too many ships as it is. this one does not really get my panties in a wad

• Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,907 posts
8,282 battles
9 minutes ago, TheWhiteRaven said:

I added more spelled out thoughts in another thread, but I'll include them here:

Seriously disappointed in the pricing consideration here. 228k coal is TOO MUCH for a Tier 9 ship to begin with, much less one that's just a tier 8 platform with a neat trick (albeit a powerful one in the right hands).

the increased coal cost is a ploy to encourage players to crack open their wallets and pay cash. The coal value has nothing to do with the gameplay utlity of Jean Bart (because t8 clone with gimmick uptiered to t9) vs Musashi (t10 clone downtiered to tier 9). It is rather cynical.

[MIA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,485 posts
8,156 battles
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

Thanks for posting. However, it does not address my current concerns:

WG does not announce in advance how ships are going to be sold. This means that us players can't plan our purchases the way we would like to. Which in this case means that I won't be buying JB, for not knowing how Alaska and Bourgogne are going to be sold.

WG doesn't know if a ship will be released until the final change to it is made, which means that they will have to delay the release significantly in order to make a blog post about the pricing and wait until yet another version of the game is released to introduce the ship.

• Boring 1

[HINON]
Supertester
20,719 posts
14,141 battles
3 minutes ago, NeoRussia said:

WG doesn't know if a ship will be released until the final change to it is made ...

They have roadmaps for premium releases going forwards a year or more. Ships might be delayed because of balancing / testing issues, but that doesn't change their method of introduction. They could announce Alaska and Bourgogne's currency and price right now, they decided those ages ago. WG is not going to push a ship through development without a plan of how to introduce it, delays in release date aren't going to affect currency or price.

• Cool 10

[MIA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,485 posts
8,156 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

They have roadmaps for premium releases going forwards a year or more. Ships might be delayed because of balancing / testing issues, but that doesn't change their method of introduction. They could announce Alaska and Bourgogne's currency and price right now, they decided those ages ago. WG is not going to push a ship through development without a plan of how to introduce it, delays in release date aren't going to affect currency or price.

How sure are you that they have already decided on the pricing of Alaska and Bourgogne? It seems to me like they can't finalize the price without finalizing the ship, there are too many factors that might change the pricing otherwise.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,719 posts
14,141 battles
10 minutes ago, NeoRussia said:

How sure are you that they have already decided on the pricing of Alaska and Bourgogne?

Quite sure. I'd be really surprised if they have no idea yet what currency it's going to be available for, even if they haven't finalized the exact amount.

10 minutes ago, NeoRussia said:

It seems to me like they can't finalize the price without finalizing the ship, there are too many factors that might change the pricing otherwise.

If you believe that, explain why a T8 with a consumable buff costs more than a slightly nerfed T10.

[WOLFG]
Members
4,778 posts
2,685 battles
Just now, NeoRussia said:

How sure are you that they have already decided on the pricing of Alaska and Bourgogne? It seems to me like they can't finalize the price without finalizing the ship, there are too many factors that might change the pricing otherwise.

WG could state what in game currency it would be, without naming a final price.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
5,452 posts

@Radar_X -- absolutely a good move, and very commendable, making these ships available through more than one avenue.  As critical as I can be, this is a great sign from Wargaming / WOWS.  I acquired the Warspite with Sovereigns, which is another example of this concept. 

I do agree with LWM and Lert -- letting players know how ships will be made available and upcoming changes in availability further in advance would make purchases and acquisitions a much less fraught and reluctant process for many players. 

[RKN]
Members
729 posts
8,988 battles
14 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

The real reason it's not fxp is that enough of us have millions of fxp already.

I suspect this precedent is the end of fxp ships.

I really really hope Alaska would be FXP, if it's Arsenal/Pay thru the premium store, I would get mad as I've earned myself a lot of FXP that I (we) can't use...

• Cool 5

[NGAGE]
Members
3,259 posts
8,175 battles
2 minutes ago, Amatsukaze_KaiNi said:

I really really hope Alaska would be FXP, if it's Arsenal/Pay thru the premium store, I would get mad as I've earned myself a lot of FXP that I (we) can't use...

But I mean that's exactly why this move makes sense.

Oh, players have stockpiled a lot of free xp? Quick, make decisions to devalue that currency.

It is already happening with devaluation of doubloons and fxp (for coal) and then the 12 different ways we now have to get in game items other than the initial few.

• Cool 1

[TOM]
Members
14 posts
11,729 battles

Probably would not pull the trigger just yet until they release the other ships like Alaska and Bourgogne plus the price is kinda high. Just want more info on how this other premiums will be sold. 

Members
503 posts

I don't see an issue with noobs buying T9 ships. Noobs can already obtain the 750k free xp ships in short time and that hasn't shown itself to be a massive problem. Heck, I had my Musashi and Kron in port within 300 battles.  It's not difficult to accumulate loads of convertible xp on a couple of T8 prem ships and then convert it with cash. 

[HINON]
Members
10,783 posts
36 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

So much this. I cannot decide on a number of these ships until I know what to save for.

Alpha Tester
2,244 posts
1 hour ago, Radar_X said:

Also, some have claimed that there was a promise not to introduce any Tier IX premium ships. We did say said several times that we were not interested in introducing this for several reasons and that we were not planning to do it. However just as with the viability of playable submarines in World of Warships, plans tend to be updated with time.

With WG going back on their word time and time again, who's to say the likes of Missouri, Belfast, Kutuzov and Nikolai won't be sold again? This doesn't encourage me to spend a single cent on inferior replacement premiums, out of fear that the ships I really want could one day return to the shop or tech tree.

And for 228k coal, Jean Bart better have two perma camo options and print credits like Missouri.

• Cool 3