Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Guest_

Should I get Salem or wait until new coal ship?

14 comments in this topic

[BIG-7]
Beta Testers
173 posts
7,985 battles

I don't have a DM, only Hindenburg at tier X.  Just got my coal to afford the Salem, however, reviews are Meh, and maybe Jean Bart will be for coal?  

Opinions?  Thanks

[FTH]
Members
995 posts
13,883 battles

Jean Bart is in the Arsenal now for 228k coal or 79 bucks US in the premium shop...just came out an hour or so ago.

[RKLES]
Members
8,957 posts
10,828 battles
13 minutes ago, _Guest_ said:

I don't have a DM, only Hindenburg at tier X.  Just got my coal to afford the Salem, however, reviews are Meh, and maybe Jean Bart will be for coal?  

Opinions?  Thanks

Wel my opinion as somebody who got Salem yesterday is the ship at least looking promising and the Super heal is rather nice. Would not call it an overpowered ship, but so far seems at very least serviceable. Have not gotten to try out the AA against a CV yet, but it did s Catapult surface fast enough lol.

I would read @LittleWhiteMouse reviews very carefull and read ever bit of the info on both Salem and the Jean Bart before you decide since what may be a good ship for many players may not work for you, and a bad ship for many players may work really well for how you play. Like Duke of York many players look diennon it, but I have had a lot of success in it and good win rate. So certainly consider every detail about both ships since 220k to 240k Coal is a big investment.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,839 posts
21,288 battles

The Salem is a option if

a) you are comfortable with T10 matches

b) you don't have the DM // don't want to grind that tech tree

c) you have a captain for USN CA

d) you know how to play the higher tier USN CA

With the Jean Bart in the arsenal now, she is a better alternative in my opinion.

[TBOW]
Members
1,790 posts
12,228 battles

Question have you played any of the USN Cruiser line?  If the answer is no, I would pass on the Salem at the moment, totally different from the Hindi and less forgiving.  Also Salem plays a bit different in my opinion from the DM, because of the diff in radar range, and you can't take Hydro, so you are not the DD hunter and bote that pisses them off that the DM is.  Salem can be a bit more aggressive against other Cruisers and some BBs because of the improved heal.  But again, you are probably farther ahead with the Jean Bart.

• Cool 1

[BIG-7]
Beta Testers
173 posts
7,985 battles

I am interested in Salem. I have up through Cleveland and New Orleans.  Have Indy.  I fought against Salem in ranked and didn't know what to make of it. The reviews seem to suggest if you have are get the DM you may want to pass.  

Didn't realize Jean Bart was out today. Just read LWM review and it looks pretty good. I guess I have a decision to make now. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

[CAST]
Members
1,612 posts
8,071 battles

If you are looking at T10 ships only, to bolster your ability to play top tier, get the Salem.  The Salem is a good USN ship that takes the place of having a DM.  If you had a DM, I would pass on the Salem, but if you don't, then the Salem is a good alternative.  If you don't mind T9 and the uptier to T10, then go for Jean Bart.  The T9 JB can probably sling it out in T10, because it is a BB, so it isn't fragile against other BBs like a cruiser would be, even a T10 cruiser (Salem).  The only problem with JB is that you can't use it for T10 related events, like you can with the Salem.

[SHEEP]
Members
200 posts
3,976 battles

Salem player at PEAK PERFORMANCE should be played pretty differently from DM played at PEAK PERFORMANCE. The gimped radar greatly reduces dm effectiveness against DDs in an early push. In return it open waters a little better though

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
10,643 posts
7,006 battles
2 hours ago, _Guest_ said:

Opinions?  Thanks

Ask yourself where both of these ships would fit into your general fleet lineup (captains and ships), and which you think would synergize more with how you want to develop it and how you play the game. That's something which needs to be put on the balance along with ship reviews and general play style.

[BIG-7]
Beta Testers
173 posts
7,985 battles

Captains are not an issue.  

In Tier 10 I only have GK, Hindenburg and Shimikaze.  

At 9 I have Missouri and Mushashi as BB as well as the Frederick de Groh.  I really enjoy my tier 8 BBs, not so much my FDG at 9.  GK runs hot and cold for me.  

Last ranked season I felt constrained with only my 3 ships available, but didn't know how good Salem would be in ranked.  As I said, I saw some in ranked and they seemed to do ok.  

I really like Jean Bart upside. But would probably be better off filling a hole in my tier 10 line up in anticipation of the next ranked, however, I dont know if Salem is right ship. 

[SIM]
Members
3,568 posts
5,702 battles

You have Indianapolis? Salem is kind of like an Indianapolis with a super heal, a much better rate of fire, but inferior range. She’s not an open water ship (at least not until the number of BBs on the enemy team has thinned out), so you spend a lot of time hugging islands for cover. She demands cautious, head on a swivel gameplay, but rewards you with ridiculously fast firing guns that just about make it worth it. Is that appealing? Then she’s not a bad addition to your tier X rotation, especially if you don’t alreafy have Des Moines.

[INTEL]
Members
1,497 posts
10,430 battles

Put me in the camp of people that play the Salem differently than the DM so once you have a DM it won't be redundant.  And, if you do plan to go up the USN heavy cruiser path, the Salem is an excellent captain trainer for that task.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,572 posts
32,635 battles

I'm saving my coal and free xp for Alaska.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this